Origin Bank Museum District At 1511 Binz St.

19 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

Medical offices, perhaps. The owner appears to be a doctor.

Perhaps... but docs have been known to invest in all sorts of stuff.

14 minutes ago, mollusk said:

Perhaps... but docs have been known to invest in all sorts of stuff.

I was thinking this might be like Museum Point, which was anchored by the owner’s medical practice. However, in looking into Dr. J.S. Stone, it appears he is deceased:

http://m.legacy.com/obituaries/houstonchronicle/obituary.aspx?n=j-s-stone&pid=177190338&referrer=0&preview=false

The obituary states he was married to Gertrude, the other owner on the plat. So...yeah, this could be any number of things.

1 hour ago, houstontexasjack said:

I was thinking this might be like Museum Point, which was anchored by the owner’s medical practice. However, in looking into Dr. J.S. Stone, it appears he is deceased:

http://m.legacy.com/obituaries/houstonchronicle/obituary.aspx?n=j-s-stone&pid=177190338&referrer=0&preview=false

The obituary states he was married to Gertrude, the other owner on the plat. So...yeah, this could be any number of things.

It's pretty hard to draw a plat with a Ouija board.  :ph34r:

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, corbs315 said:

Far from exciting, but from the Houston Permitting site, looks like this will be a bank building.

Express Review
*ORIGIN BANK
1511 BINZ ST 77004
2,869 SQ FT NEW BANK OFFICE BLDG W/ SITEWORK 1-1-2-B-B '12 IBC

Well, that is at least a little exciting because the bank is "Origin Bank."  Origin has the drive-through  location by Southmore, which was to be the first phase of Museo Plaza.  It stands to reason they'd need a new location built in order for Dr. Mann to move forward with his plans for the medical office building portion of the Museo Plaza project on that site.

Edit:  Mods, this thread would probably be better suited for the "Museum District" Forum.

The Museum District must have the most unrealized potential of any Houston neighborhood. It is truly astonishing how you can have such a collection of institutions along with Hermann Park nearby, and Binz Street is still a dull walking experience. Restaurants, coffee shops, art galleries, anything...

33 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

The Museum District must have the most unrealized potential of any Houston neighborhood. It is truly astonishing how you can have such a collection of institutions along with Hermann Park nearby, and Binz Street is still a dull walking experience. Restaurants, coffee shops, art galleries, anything...

I'd like to see the area come along toward walkability--lines of density on the western frontier at Main/Fannin/San Jacinto and the eastern frontier on Almeda.  Binz has a substantial amount of single-family residential abutting it, so it will likely be somewhat less dense for the foreseeable future.  However, I think Two and Three Hermann Place have the potential to add additional retail nearer to Hermann Park. At least some of the empty blocks on Almeda are getting picked up, however.  The Art Supply is going up by Oakdale, and I've seen that the half-acre lot at Almeda and Blodgett is now under contract.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/9/2019 at 2:39 PM, Houston19514 said:

Any word/rumors of anything going in where Origin Bank's lobby used to be?  It would make a beautiful space for a restaurant! (on Southmore between Main and Fannin)

My understanding is that the medical office building at the old Origin Bank drive-through should start by Q4 this year with completion by Q1 2021.  The Mann-Eye Institute will then transfer its flag to the new building (the first phase of Museo Plaza). Not sure they’ll make any longer-term leases here, although a restaurant would be cool.

5 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

My understanding is that the medical office building at the old Origin Bank drive-through should start by Q4 this year with completion by Q1 2021.  The Mann-Eye Institute will then transfer its flag to the new building (the first phase of Museo Plaza). Not sure they’ll make any longer-term leases here, although a restaurant would be cool.

Do you know how large the building will be? It looks like they secured a $57m loan on the project that closed back in February. 

8 hours ago, HNathoo said:

Do you know how large the building will be? It looks like they secured a $57m loan on the project that closed back in February. 

I’m afraid not. It’s supposed to have some neat common areas where natural light will be let in for tenants.

• 1 month later...

The owner of the site refused to sell and would only do a ground lease, limiting the user pool and getting her a very low use for the property. This site should've been a very tall tower - with the two museums between this site and the park, it would've had amazing views of Hermann Park.

• 5 months later...
  • The title was changed to Origin Bank At Binz St. & La Branch St.
  • The title was changed to Origin Bank Museum District At 1511 Binz St.

Archived