KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

wxman

The headline is a bit misleading so to be clear, KLM is NOT ending service to Houston. They're just swapping out equipment.

KLM was the last airline at IAH to fly regular 747-400 service. The last Boeing 747 flight will be this Friday. It will then switch to a Boeing 777 for one day and then switch again to the Dreamliner. Sort of sad news. I hate that the Queen of the Skies is being phased out. Definitely the sexiest airplane in the skies.

https://www.chron.com/business/bizfeed/article/KLM-to-stop-flying-747-aircraft-to-Houston-12774329.php

10 hours ago, MaxConcrete said:

Photos from January 2016. Unless KLM resurrects 747 service, we'll never see this view again.

That is unless Trump or any other sitting president comes to town lol. Air Force One has a similar paint scheme :P

37 minutes ago, samagon said:

as nice as the 747 is to look at, interior wise it is old and busted.

newer planes are outfitted with better steerage class seats (wider and softer), and much better entertainment options.

I rode on a KLM 747 back to IAH probably 12 years ago and it rattled like a sumbitch back then. 

18 hours ago, JLWM8609 said:

I think Cargolux 747s still serve IAH, but good luck getting a seat there. ;)

I have actually seen several Atlas Air 747 people carrying charters parked at the gates at the eastern end of terminal D recently. 

Not sure who regularly charters a plane that big, but it sounds like an interesting operation. 

EDIT: - could be this, a regular private charter to Angola for oil biz folks. 

https://www.atlasair.com/holdings/archive.asp?Pressid=10787

Discontinued as of tomorrow:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2018/02/09/sonair-ending-houston-luanda-route/

• 10 months later...

LH has been flying the 748 to IAH during the past 2 winter seasons in place of the A380 and is scheduled to do so again (but I wouldn't read too much this far in advance).

In any case, I wouldn't be surprise if the next major Nigerian upstart flew one here in 2025.  So I wouldn't count out the Queen just yet.

Sad to see the KL blue leave (often rotated on the AMS-TPE route, hence the common sight of an aircraft with "KLM Asia" titles on the tail).

Surprisingly the 789 has slightly more seats than the 744 it replaced as that aircraft was a half-cargo "combi."

The Atlas Air flights were not government charters . . . at least not the Government of the US charters.  They were public charters to Luanda, Angola managed by this outfit http://www.sonair.co.ao/en/Pages/SonAir-Home.aspx.  Operated by Atlas Air, which was also the operator of the 763 for Amazon Prime that went down in Trinity Bay on Saturday.

15 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

In any case, I wouldn't be surprise if the next major Nigerian upstart flew one here in 2025.  So I wouldn't count out the Queen just yet. 

Ethiopian Airlines is scheduled to start Houston service this year with 787. It will be IAH-LFW-ADD. They chose Lomé and not Lagos as a stopover, not sure the reasoning behind it, but hope it becomes a success.

21 minutes ago, baalManche said:

Ethiopian Airlines is scheduled to start Houston service this year with 787. It will be IAH-LFW-ADD. They chose Lomé and not Lagos as a stopover, not sure the reasoning behind it, but hope it becomes a success.

I'm sure their stated preference is still IAH-LOS-ADD but the problem is getting the authority from the Nigerian government.

That's not a problem with LFW.  I think ACC is also a backup.

• The title was changed to KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

Archived