Montrose Mining Company At 805 Pacific St.

dbigtex56

Cannot find an existing thread on this topic; if there is please merge.
As reported by the Houston Chronicle in September of 2016, the Montrose Mining Company has closed. 
It's also rumored that the property has been purchased by the new owner of Baba Yega's and is destined to be demolished for additional parking.
If so, I'm extremely disappointed. Not only is this a building that contributes to the historic architecture of the area, its history as the MMC makes it a landmark in its own right.
A parking lot in this location would be an eyesore, and detract from the overall ambiance which makes this area among the most walkable in the Montrose area. Once this building is demolished, another cannot be built on its footprint, due to current setback laws.

On 3/21/2018 at 5:15 PM, dbigtex56 said:

As reported by the Houston Chronicle in September of 2016, the Montrose Mining Company has closed. 

Owner Charles Armstrong announced the news Thursday afternoon via social media. He pointed to "changing times" and said "the concept is gone."

The bar opened in 1978 and was known for its cheap drinks, large patio, barrels of peanuts and male dancers on boxes. DJ's regularly played retro dance and disco music. 

Armstrong says he will be working with architects and designers to create "a new concept at 805 Pacific Street that we're really excited about in the upcoming 18 months."

Aside from the fact that, with the possible exception of the peanuts, the concept as described still seems pretty solid to me, it's interesting that Armstrong went from stating his intention to remodel to selling the property (if indeed it has actually been sold). I'm wondering if South Beach's closure for remodeling last month had anything to do with this, since it's obviously the jewel of his empire and would have to be a higher priority if he had to decide between two remodeling projects. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 1:59 PM, dbigtex56 said:

No ownership change has been made at HCAD, so it doesn't appear to be a done deal quite yet.

Spoke too soon. HCAD now shows ownership transferred on 12/12/17 to 2607 Grant LLC (which is Baba Yega's address).

1 hour ago, corbs315 said:

Little bird says it's either going to be a Hungry's or a wine bar.

Which is at least kind of a shame. Why are the Houston gay bars all closing?

Maybe because we don’t need them anymore. People can be gay in any bar now and not get punched in the face, for the most part anyway.

1 hour ago, corbs315 said:

Little bird says it's either going to be a Hungry's or a wine bar.

Which is at least kind of a shame. Why are the Houston gay bars all closing?

This is great news. I like hungrys and wine bars.

ALL bars in this area are 'gay friendly'. I am sure it will be very welcoming to all

1 hour ago, jgriff said:

Maybe because we don’t need them anymore. People can be gay in any bar now and not get punched in the face, for the most part anyway.

In large part, you are correct. Grindr, etc. is the primary other accomplice. 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

By any rational standard, this is a great improvement.
Still, I'm taken aback. It's like seeing Tom Waits in a tuxedo.

Even Tom Waits maintained an air of the disheveled rogue when in a tux.

GUEST_61173f9f-8ff7-4478-9643-f9192a076e

• 1 month later...

IMO

There are a kazillion restaurants in this area, it’s great and all for varietyetcetcetc but taking a gander at that newly laid sidewalk is the STANDOUT, most of the sidewalk within Avondale area abysmal. Now you can walk to a nice restaurant without stumbling on crap sidewalks.

• 1 month later...

Archived