Townhomes At 2020 McGowen St.

Yes, Third was has been changing from multiple directions. The dangerous aspects aside, it really is an interesting part of town to live. The Bayou, The slightly rolling terrain of Riverside Terrace, The beautiful big houses surrounded by delapidated shacks, the history, the food, the University culture (however shall it was at the time).

My favourite thing to do was bike riding along the path down brays Bayou to Hermann park.

As to the lower income people moving out, the ones I know have been moving to the burbs.

From what I understand of Europe, this is the way a lot of their cities work: rich interior, poor surroundings. For a long time, it's been the opposite in the US (much to the confusion of Euro tourists) but now that trend is of course changing.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I understand of Europe, this is the way a lot of their cities work: rich interior, poor surroundings. For a long time, it's been the opposite in the US (much to the confusion of Euro tourists) but now that trend is of course changing.

That has to do with with race.

White flight/ gentleman agreements etc.

Before desegregation we were very much like Europe with the rich in the core and the poor blacks on the fringe. Where TSU area is now was on the border of the city limits in Houston early days.

During desegregation many blacks felt that in order to show that they made it they needed to move to white areas. The whites responded by fleeing further and further out. Montrose was a very early burb

Gentleman agreements developed in neighborhoods like river oaks that prevented real estate from being sold to minorities.

What is happening now is more of a comfort thing. Houston has become a big integrated city and people are more comfortable to live amongst each other. So black families are now moving to pearland and katy in much higher numbers

• 4 months later...

Fresh dirt laid down very recently (there was still tire tracks of mud on the streets when I got here today)

14972981350_aa45b52d8a_h.jpg

2014-09-06 14.36.20 by marclongoria, on Flickr

Stunning transformation of this area is rapidly happening. Several blocks around 2020 McGowen are fenced off for construction. Let me remind you that this is Third Ward.

14972936279_3e32c94e97_h.jpg

2014-09-06 14.38.13 by marclongoria, on Flickr

15159666425_6c9bdf3ca8_h.jpg

2014-09-06 14.37.17 by marclongoria, on Flickr

14973084337_c5220d3ae9_h.jpg

2014-09-06 14.36.49 by marclongoria, on Flickr

Not sure if anyone wants to start a thread on these townhomes. Here's the renderings and website: http://www.lavillestemanuel.com/plans.html

Stunning transformation of this area is rapidly happening. Several blocks around 2020 McGowen are fenced off for construction. Let me remind you that this is Third Ward.

Actually, this is not unusual for the Third Ward these days. A lot of rowhouses have gone up in the two years since I got back to Texas. This is also starting to happen in the Northside and the Fifth Ward, so it may not be long before the entire area inside the Loop is seeing this kind of redevelopment. B)

And the families that used to live there will find themselves out by Sharpstown.  :(

Actually, this is not unusual for the Third Ward these days. A lot of rowhouses have gone up in the two years since I got back to Texas. This is also starting to happen in the Northside and the Fifth Ward, so it may not be long before the entire area inside the Loop is seeing this kind of redevelopment. B)

And the families that used to live there will find themselves out by Sharpstown. :(

Wow! Houston is on fire. It's hard to keep up with the rapid pace of development. Third and Fifth Wards are being quickly re-gentrified with very nice redevelopment. Northside too. The entire near north quadrant bound by I-10, 59, 610N and 45 is next and ripe for massive redevelopment...this will spur the development of The Hardy Railyards.

Houston's boom has shifted into over drive, especially ITL (Inside The Loop).

Well, we'll see what happens to the price of oil, as that seems to be driving everything.

Meanwhile, the Panama Canal widening opens in 2016, so we'll see how much traffic that brings to the Port.

I thought that was 2015? did it change? 

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure what happened to the midrise. It's looking like just townhomes now. Le sigh...

attachicon.gif2015-12-12 16.01.34.jpg

Looks like it's definitely not the midrise now but not quite townhomes? Not sure...

23774858691_48def0af5f_h.jpg

Third Ward by Marc longoria, on Flickr

So much activity happening on the blocks around it though!

23229206004_cf71a2819a_h.jpg

23831253526_d44c774ff6_h.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Although the gentrification is nice in one way I do agree. I would hate to see this community completely displaced by rising land prices. 

The Midtown Redevelopment Authority and Coleman are apparently working to make sure the residents will not be displaced.

See:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/32931-purpose-of-midtown-redevelopment-authority/

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I keep forgetting to get new pictures of this development. One of the units had a fire at the door so they placed a fence around the entire block.  I haven't seen any work done on these in months and they've taken down listings on har.com.  I've included pictures I took over a year ago.  Wondering what happens if the developer went bankrupt.PZb5aIe.jpgaQYBvCv.jpg

I came across these randomly but they caught my eye and they're marketed as brownstones if I remember correctly. I looked on HAR and never found anything on them so maybe what you’re asking is the case. They look cheaply made in person. Although, I like the brick at the bottom.   

Archived