America, the ugly?

I just got back from Dubai and a couple of things occurred while I was away: 1. the Middle East isn't what the American media wants you to believe. 2. America is FAR behind when it comes to leading the way for innovation and design, transportation and gaudy spectacles that captures the world's attention. 

I'm not one to be easily impressed. However the walls of skyscrapers are EVERYWHERE. At one point I counted 25 skyscrapers (60, 70 and 80 stories!) all under construction at one time. That was just in one little area. If you were able to see through the haze of the sandy, dusty air, you'd see over a hundred skyscrapers going up simulataniously. It makes what's going on here in Houston or any other American city look very silly. What we consider to be a "game changer" wouldn't even be worthy to spit on in Dubai. 

The cleanliness of the city is unparalleled. It's embarrassing to think that the great ''shining star on a hill,'' aka the US, is littered with trash and festooned in Graffiti. The beauty of the place overall was something that probably took me back the most. No trash, no litter, no graffiti, no nothing. The flowers and hedged bushes are incredible. Every intersection, whether a freeway interchange or your everyday side street is lined with flowers and perfectly manicured bushes. The beauty is incredible.

From the transportation systems to the airport to the high rise buildings, there's nothing that matches it anywhere in the world. I really wish America, a country I and many others pride ourselves on, could take a page out of their book and show a little pride when it comes to our cities.

Granted, the Sharia law they have and the restrictions on freedom make our country far more superior. I wouldn't trade what we have in the US for what they have but it would be nice if we could follow the example on crime and littering. 

21 hours ago, gmac said:

I guess if you can overlook the fact that most of it was built by slave labor, it's wonderful.

Not quite slave, but close. They get paid, usually. Rates are about $10 per day, or were a few years ago. That's for laborers. The pay goes up as more skills are required.

Dubai is an interesting place to visit, but I preferred Doha as a place to live. Less frenetic, less crowded. 

Archived