U-Haul Moving & Storage Expansion At 1617 San Jacinto St.

Urbannizer

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

Waiting on the Park announcement for this quarter of downtown...

Root Square is in this quadrant but it's small.

Maybe it can be expanded. The other options would be closer to the 59 or capping 59 itself or the 45 redo.

Apart from those there are not many contiguous lots that would make for another super park

not that every uhaul doesn't have a lot of people renting uhauls, but this place was always busy when I needed to stop there for something.

hopefully, if they close this location, another one is opened in the east end.

this spot would be a perfect location for a downtown HEB :D

17 hours ago, swtsig said:

ya i wouldn't get your hopes up on this one

Apologies for the bump . . . but truly curious:

22 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

For context (as I do not know), does a replat like this automatically imply an impending development?  Could it imply a parcel is being readied for sale?  (The replat is even titled "U-Haul at San Jacinto.)

17 hours ago, 102IAHexpress said:

That's a corporate U-Haul, not a dealer. Odd that Amerco would give up on a prime downtown location. Unless they think not that many people are moving to or need storage in Downtown? 

To add on to this, unfortunately I have heard this may be U-Haul just tearing down their existing building to build a new facility.  As @swtsig mentioned, I would not get too excited on this.

6 hours ago, CREguy13 said:

To add on to this, unfortunately I have heard this may be U-Haul just tearing down their existing building to build a new facility.  As @swtsig mentioned, I would not get too excited on this.

Good!  I don’t find this unfortunate at all.  Frankly, in my opinion, for neighborhoods to be vibrant they need all sorts of “ infrastructure”.  Places like U-haul, splashed in among the bars, residences, dining, and clothing retail, create the web of “stuff” needed for an exciting, dense, urban experience.  

1 hour ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Good!  I don’t find this unfortunate at all.  Frankly, in my opinion, for neighborhoods to be vibrant they need all sorts of “ infrastructure”.  Places like U-haul, splashed in among the bars, residences, dining, and clothing retail, create the web of “stuff” needed for an exciting, dense, urban experience.  

I agree 100 percent.

On 2/25/2018 at 5:56 PM, UtterlyUrban said:

Frankly, in my opinion, for neighborhoods to be vibrant they need all sorts of “ infrastructure”.  

5 hours ago, Vy65 said:

Sorry, but I can think of a number of things that are far more conducive to a vibrant neighborhood than a uHaul store.

Houston's still got a ways to go before it's as vibrant as San Francisco. But we'll get there. 

o.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 2/25/2018 at 11:09 AM, CREguy13 said:

Any renderings or permits pulled yet? 

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2018 at 5:56 PM, UtterlyUrban said:

Good!  for neighborhoods to be vibrant they need all sorts of “ infrastructure”.  Places like U-haul, splashed in among the bars, residences, dining, and clothing retail, create the web of “stuff” needed for an exciting, dense, urban experience.  

This is so true. I've begun the down-sizing process. Two years ago we moved from a 4 bedroom suburban house to a 2 bedroom townhouse. Even though the square footage of the townhouse is generous for a 2 bedroom it still would not hold all our crap stuff. I rented storage space for 6 months until I could find appropriate homes for the things we no longer wanted. Writing that rent check every month kept me motivated to get rid of stuff. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived