Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Urbannizer

U-Haul Moving & Storage Expansion at 1617 San Jacinto

Recommended Posts

When they were building that apartment on San Jac and St Joseph I wondered how long the Storage and book store would last.

 

Is the Bail bonds a block to the east still there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is happening to our downtown? First the elimination of many surface parking lots, then the refurbishing of abandoned buildings to apartments and hotels, and now this. Will this never end? "They" are making the downtown an attractive area. 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess this is the market naturally finding the best use of things. I was initally dismayed in my hood that a key block was going to become a strip center in Montrose, but then I have to remember it won't last forever, just no foresight.

 

 Very interesting!~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, htownbro said:

A residential high rise

Source?

 

Would this be the first downtown residential high-rise project post-DLI?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For context (as I do not know), does a replat like this automatically imply an impending development?  Could it imply a parcel is being readied for sale?  (The replat is even titled "U-Haul at San Jacinto.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

Waiting on the Park announcement for this quarter of downtown...

 

Root Square is in this quadrant but it's small.

Maybe it can be expanded. The other options would be closer to the 59 or capping 59 itself or the 45 redo.

 

Apart from those there are not many contiguous lots that would make for another super park

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not that every uhaul doesn't have a lot of people renting uhauls, but this place was always busy when I needed to stop there for something.

 

hopefully, if they close this location, another one is opened in the east end.

 

this spot would be a perfect location for a downtown HEB :D

Edited by samagon
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, swtsig said:

ya i wouldn't get your hopes up on this one

 

Apologies for the bump . . . but truly curious:

 

22 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

For context (as I do not know), does a replat like this automatically imply an impending development?  Could it imply a parcel is being readied for sale?  (The replat is even titled "U-Haul at San Jacinto.)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a corporate U-Haul, not a dealer. Odd that Amerco would give up on a prime downtown location. Unless they think not that many people are moving to or need storage in Downtown? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, 102IAHexpress said:

That's a corporate U-Haul, not a dealer. Odd that Amerco would give up on a prime downtown location. Unless they think not that many people are moving to or need storage in Downtown? 

To add on to this, unfortunately I have heard this may be U-Haul just tearing down their existing building to build a new facility.  As @swtsig mentioned, I would not get too excited on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Good!  I don’t find this unfortunate at all.  Frankly, in my opinion, for neighborhoods to be vibrant they need all sorts of “ infrastructure”.  Places like U-haul, splashed in among the bars, residences, dining, and clothing retail, create the web of “stuff” needed for an exciting, dense, urban experience.  

I agree 100 percent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, but I can think of a number of things that are far more conducive to a vibrant neighborhood than a uHaul store.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2018 at 5:56 PM, UtterlyUrban said:

Frankly, in my opinion, for neighborhoods to be vibrant they need all sorts of “ infrastructure”.  

 

5 hours ago, Vy65 said:

Sorry, but I can think of a number of things that are far more conducive to a vibrant neighborhood than a uHaul store.

 

Houston's still got a ways to go before it's as vibrant as San Francisco. But we'll get there. 


o.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2018 at 11:09 AM, CREguy13 said:

To add on to this, unfortunately I have heard this may be U-Haul just tearing down their existing building to build a new facility.  As @swtsig mentioned, I would not get too excited on this.

 

Any renderings or permits pulled yet? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, EllenOlenska said:

It'll have ground floor retail of unclaimed storage. 

Sorry for this joke. 

That would actually be awesome. You find cool stuff in abandoned lockers.i would be there every weekend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2018 at 5:56 PM, UtterlyUrban said:

Good!  for neighborhoods to be vibrant they need all sorts of “ infrastructure”.  Places like U-haul, splashed in among the bars, residences, dining, and clothing retail, create the web of “stuff” needed for an exciting, dense, urban experience.  

 This is so true. I've begun the down-sizing process. Two years ago we moved from a 4 bedroom suburban house to a 2 bedroom townhouse. Even though the square footage of the townhouse is generous for a 2 bedroom it still would not hold all our crap stuff. I rented storage space for 6 months until I could find appropriate homes for the things we no longer wanted. Writing that rent check every month kept me motivated to get rid of stuff. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

There is an existing post regarding this project in the “Downtown” section. May need to merge topics. 

 

My bad. I searched 1622 Caroline and nothing came up. Mods can merge or remove this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, dwf402 said:

My bad. I searched 1622 Caroline and nothing came up. Mods can merge or remove this thread.

 

No worries, I was mostly mentioning it to draw attention so the admins could look at merging the threads. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve asked 2 different workers what they were building one had no clue and the second one said apartments. Whatever is being built they will be using a tower crane to do it. Zero below grade excavation and they are already putting in concrete columns.

45498335545_d6295881b2_k.jpgCD843F16-78C0-40B0-81B1-E535BFF11F5F by David, on Flickr

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Environmental signage said U-Haul San Jacinto.Burton is the construction company but couldn’t find anything on their website https://burtonconstruction.com/projects/

46360340872_a2a14bac8e_k.jpg8F139AC5-8AE3-43A3-A3E0-5AD3F3FB8E80 by David, on Flickr

46360339942_b8e523893d_k.jpgFFE3B876-4301-4F94-9C58-F24F9E780A47 by David, on Flickr

Edited by hindesky
Added more information
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I talked with the guy collecting the cement samples and said it was going to be a 6 stories high U-Haul storage. 4 stories of storage and 2 of their retail store. He said that they saw a need for a storage with all the people moving downtown.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the Liebherr tower crane from Memorial Hermann is coming here?

N3Z3D6F.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2018 at 1:23 PM, hindesky said:

I talked with the guy collecting the cement samples and said it was going to be a 6 stories high U-Haul storage. 4 stories of storage and 2 of their retail store. He said that they saw a need for a storage with all the people moving downtown.

If true, This is good, IMO.

 

not everything downtown can be and “entertainment” venue.  For downtown to exit as a neighborhood, it will need “infrastructure” like this.  I hope that this info is correct.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw they posted a rendering on the corner of San Jacinto and Pease, haven't had a chance to take a picture of it though

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Nicely done for a self-storage building. Looks like they are trying to be architecturally sensitive to the growing residential neighborhood. 

 

Storage.PNG

Edited by DrLan34
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...