Retail Center At 2805 White Oak Dr.

Urbannizer

18 hours ago, Angostura said:

And every restaurant where valet parking is really the only option is effectively paid parking. Even when it's "complimentary". 

And I'm not sure the robot parking system is any less trustworthy than your average valet parking operator.

So true here, I'd rather pay to park in a structure than be forced into valet, personally.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2018 at 7:21 AM, Visitor said:

So true here, I'd rather pay to park in a structure than be forced into valet, personally.

I’d agree, it’s certainly the lesser of evils. I’ve seen too many videos of valets wrecking or abusing vehicles (revving, driving aggressively, etc.) to trust any of them.

I am concerned about how this parking garage will fit into this area visually. Given the number of spaces they’ve stated it will provide and the dimensions of the lot on which it will be built, I imagine it will have to be a good bit taller than any neighboring buildings, right?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

I am concerned about how this parking garage will fit into this area visually. Given the number of spaces they’ve stated it will provide and the dimensions of the lot on which it will be built, I imagine it will have to be a good bit taller than any neighboring buildings, right?

I'd imagine so.  But if houston wants density and infill, vertical will have to happen. And I suppose someone has to be first...

Knowing I sound like a broken record,  but I wish we had more organized commerical districts with leadership focused on walkability and zero setbacks.

13 hours ago, Visitor said:

But if houston wants density and infill, vertical will have to happen. And I suppose someone has to be first...

I agree with this general sentiment, but not every neighborhood/area inside the loop needs to or should go vertical.

Something like this in Midtown, Downtown, Med Center, along Allen Parkway? Yes, definitely. But going “vertical” isn’t a fit for this part of The Heights.

What really needs to happen, as others have mentioned, is for the city to do away with parking requirements. Current requirements will be more and more obsolete as ride sharing services and automated vehicles become more prevalent.

57 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

I agree with this general sentiment, but not every neighborhood/area inside the loop needs to or should go vertical.

Something like this in Midtown, Downtown, Med Center, along Allen Parkway? Yes, definitely. But going “vertical” isn’t a fit for this part of The Heights.

What really needs to happen, as others have mentioned, is for the city to do away with parking requirements. Current requirements will be more and more obsolete as ride sharing services and automated vehicles become more prevalent.

It's tricky. Even in the absence of city-mandated parking minimums, tenants are going to demand a certain amount of parking, since they're aware that most of their customers are likely to arrive by private automobile. You can only really reduce the amount of parking consumed when arriving some other way becomes cheaper, faster and/or easier than temporarily storing your car at your destination. 

There's a certain level of activity density at which it becomes no less convenient to walk than to drive for daily necessities. It won't necessarily get commuters out of cars, but you're more likely to walk to a restaurant or grocery store than to drive. It's pretty much impossible to get to that level of density when there's high levels of surface parking. So parking structures are a gateway to getting to the kind of density needed to be a truly walkable neighborhood.

The problem is that, since all that parking limits density, most neighborhoods never achieve land values high enough for structured parking to make sense economically, so they get stuck in a suburban development pattern where car dependence never really goes away. Which is why a parking system that can make structured parking economical at land values of $60/sf rather than $100/sf (not to mention on smaller footprints) has a real chance to transform how neighborhoods develop.

(BTW, this can be done without going THAT vertical. There are a lot of very dense, walkable neighborhoods in cities around the world with typical heights of 4, 5 or 6 stories.)

9 hours ago, Angostura said:

It's tricky. Even in the absence of city-mandated parking minimums, tenants are going to demand a certain amount of parking, since they're aware that most of their customers are likely to arrive by private automobile. You can only really reduce the amount of parking consumed when arriving some other way becomes cheaper, faster and/or easier than temporarily storing your car at your destination. 

There's a certain level of activity density at which it becomes no less convenient to walk than to drive for daily necessities. It won't necessarily get commuters out of cars, but you're more likely to walk to a restaurant or grocery store than to drive. It's pretty much impossible to get to that level of density when there's high levels of surface parking. So parking structures are a gateway to getting to the kind of density needed to be a truly walkable neighborhood.

The problem is that, since all that parking limits density, most neighborhoods never achieve land values high enough for structured parking to make sense economically, so they get stuck in a suburban development pattern where car dependence never really goes away. Which is why a parking system that can make structured parking economical at land values of $60/sf rather than $100/sf (not to mention on smaller footprints) has a real chance to transform how neighborhoods develop.

(BTW, this can be done without going THAT vertical. There are a lot of very dense, walkable neighborhoods in cities around the world with typical heights of 4, 5 or 6 stories.)

Agree with you. The lack of commerical districts in Houston and zoning in general is how this random development happens. Personally I'd like to see Washington become a commercial district with overall planning and cohesive development. I could see more vertical dev working there and fitting in. 

On 8/18/2018 at 0:11 AM, Visitor said:

Agree with you. The lack of commerical districts in Houston and zoning in general is how this random development happens. Personally I'd like to see Washington become a commercial district with overall planning and cohesive development. I could see more vertical dev working there and fitting in. 

Honestly, I'd be more likely to trust random development than zoning. Zoning done well could theoretically lead to very good results. The problem is that zoning is almost never done well. It ends up being captured by special interests like large-scale developers, big box retailers and single-family homeowners (and yes, single-family homeowners are a special interest). More often than not, zoning leads to use segregation; use segregation leads to car-dependency; and car dependency leads to parking minimums and low density and a really unpleasant pedestrian environment.

With a few tweaks (setback rules, RoW widths) Houston's sometimes chaotic development rules may be the best way to migrate from car-dependence to non-car-dependence, since you can add density by right, without needing zoning approval. The problem is, there will be pain along the way. When you start with relatively low-density suburban style development, it's pretty comfortable (as long as you're in a car): there's not much traffic, it's pretty easy to park, and there's a lot of space. When you add density to this development pattern, things start getting less comfortable. It's still pretty shitty to be a pedestrian (lots of cars around, hard to cross streets, things are still pretty far away from each other), and it gets harder to be a driver (more traffic, harder to park, etc.). But if you keep adding density (and we're going to keep adding density, because that's what growing cities do), eventually you get to a point where vehicle miles decrease because things are closer together, demand for parking decreases because there are other ways to get where you're going, and quality of life increases. Traveling between neighborhoods is often still difficult, but within neighborhoods, it's pretty easy to get around.

Very few places that start out as car-dependent have managed to get over this hump. Usually because zoning locks them into a certain density level, or people resist additional housing construction and convince their elected representatives to block it, or cities impose parking minimums that make it difficult to develop to a walkable density. So if automated garages can resolve the issue of complying with parking minimums while STILL providing levels of built square footage per acre compatible with walkable density, it's a big deal.

Well put.

I'd add that neighborhoods like this one, that at least didn't start out car-dependent, are the best positioned for this transition.

I'd also like to see the City move toward more of a form-based code. It's something they've played with a bit- minimum setbacks, historic districts, transit corridors, but i'd love to see the transit corridor regs become requirements rather optional and expand to cover major bus, bike, and pedestrian areas with some kind of ratcheting mechanism that allows them to expand but not contract.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Texasota said:

Well put.

I'd add that neighborhoods like this one, that at least didn't start out car-dependent, are the best positioned for this transition.

...as long as we don't screw it up. That infill on the 300 block of West 19th requires a ton of variances (incl off street parking) to be built to match its neighbors on either side.

5 hours ago, Texasota said:

I'd also like to see the City move toward more of a form-based code. It's something they've played with a bit- minimum setbacks, historic districts, transit corridors, but i'd love to see the transit corridor regs become requirements rather optional and expand to cover major bus, bike, and pedestrian areas with some kind of ratcheting mechanism that allows them to expand but not contract.

The planning commission's walkable places pilot is doing this, sort of. The current optional performance standards (setbacks reduced to 5-ft, parking in rear, wider sidewalks, minimum levels of transparency in the facade, limited curb cuts, entrance facing the street) will become mandatory in those areas, though parking minimums will still exist outside the CBD. Currently this is limited to a couple of pilot areas (near Northside, Midtown and Emancipation Ave in EaDo), but could expand.

On 3/26/2018 at 3:23 PM, Angostura said:

CoH plan review comments are a rich vein of insight into the experience of interacting with city bureaucracy.

Traffic comments: "Furnish parking analysis and planning approval prior to traffic approval."

Planning comments: "There must be traffic approval before our department can approve your site plan."

5 months later, same chicken-or-egg comments on the new revision of the plans.

This is going to get stuck in a recursive loop and never get approved.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Updated Loopnet listing of 2805 White Oak Dr. This is the development South Heights on White Oak Dr. under construction in the Heights in Houston.

Discussion of the automated parking garage next to the Fitzgerald's building is here.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/2904-2920-White-Oak-Dr-Houston-TX/15766084/
(archive link)

DdUnG7g.jpg

Had to think for a minute until I realized there was an error on the map where they call E 6 1/2 E 11th. 

I know the initial speculation was that the automated garage would go where the current 10-stall, sorry-excuse-for-covered-parking lot by Christian’s Tailgate currently sits, but the updated brochure puts it on a larger lot further east towards Studewood and White Oak, where a few older homes currently sit.

Since there is more land area to work with there, it looks like the automated garage will not be as tall as we initially thought.

13 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

I know the initial speculation was that the automated garage would go where the current 10-stall, sorry-excuse-for-covered-parking lot by Christian’s Tailgate currently sits, but the updated brochure puts it on a larger lot further east towards Studewood and White Oak, where a few older homes currently sit.

Since there is more land area to work with there, it looks like the automated garage will not be as tall as we initially thought.

100-ft of frontage instead of ~60-ft. The original spot would become new retail.

A couple other observations from the images:

- Moku (Poke place, currently operating in Conservatory food hall downtown) was already announced, but it looks like it'll be sited to the rear of Lucky food store, and take access from the side parking lot. The front half of Lucky's space is currently labeled as "occupied but available".

- It shows a stop light at Granberry. At the very least, a pedestrian crossing wouldn't be a bad idea.

2 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Yes. That's why I SPECIFICALLY ADDED to this post that the discussion of the automated garage's new location has been updated and included a direct link to that discussion in two of the posts above earlier this week (and quoted below from the post above several days ago)

Why don’t you go ahead and move the other 20+ comments talking about the automated parking garage from the first page over to the other thread too, if it bothers you so much.

It has been an ongoing topic in this thread for months. I’ve specifically commented on it a few times, as have many others. I was more focused on the new site plan you posted instead of your one-line link, sorry I missed it...

Edited by thedistrict84

• 5 months later...

https://houston.eater.com/2019/10/17/20919161/karne-korean-barbecue-opening-houston-heights

Restaurant tenant announced for this development.  Also, the neighborhood is getting a bit frothy about the parking garage.  The developer for the garage needs a variance because there is a pending minimum lot size application for that section of the Heights.  Planning commission will be getting an earful on Oct 31.

On 10/17/2019 at 1:22 PM, s3mh said:

Also, the neighborhood is getting a bit frothy about the parking garage.  The developer for the garage needs a variance because there is a pending minimum lot size application for that section of the Heights.  Planning commission will be getting an earful on Oct 31.

That MLS application, covering the area between Oxford and Studewood, from the south blockface of 6½ St to the north blockface of 9th St, was pretty clearly designed to prevent development of the two lots on the corner of 6½ and Studewood (the 3rd lot from the corner is classified commercial already). The south blockface of 6½ is predominantly 3300 sf TH lots, and the MLS area was extended north until the 70% lot size cutoff reached 6250 s.f.

When the planning commission considered the application, they approved the staff recommendation that the south blockface of 6½ be excluded, and the modified area be forward to city council for approval.

There is also an application for JUST the south blockface of 6½, also in an effort to block development of the two lots on the corner. (The lot on the corner of Oxford, slated for multi-familty development, would not be affected since it's not currently restricted to SF residential). The developer has retained Richard Epstein (a law professor with a fair amount of expertise in takings law) to argue that since those two lots were already used for commercial purposed by Sara Fitzgerald, it would be inappropriate to restrict them to single family use. (Both of these applications were submitted AFTER the developer acquired the land, and at least one if not both were submitted after the structures were demolished.)

The second MLS application almost certainly meets the ordinance requirements (78% of the block face is SF residential, albeit at around 3200 s.f. lot size). Presumably the variance sought by the developer is to codify the land use for those two lots as other than single family residential, which would mean they would be unaffected by any MLS application. If that variance is rejected, it will probably result in litigation.

• Like 1

Originally posted February 20, 2018 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order), and may include outdated information,  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

I wasn't  able to 
retrieve  everything I contributed to this forum, mostly what was posted on the first page last year (included earlier renderings, updated renderings, earlier site plans, archived links to leasing brochures and Loopnet listings, and earlier reports of the project - all of which the OP never includes when they create a thread that would be helpful for others to see as a reference (months or years later) or for those who view this forum on their tablets or cell phones and don't want to download PDF files to see additional details). However I was able to save pages 2  from this thread and will repost content I shared (and found) previously from those pages.

On 2/19/2018 at 6:51 PM, Urbannizer said:

More on the new retail development proposed for the parking lot at 2805 White Oak Dr in the Heights, Houston.

The property is marketed by Centric Commercial REA.

From the Loopnet listing:

Gross Leasable Area:10,000 SF 

Near the corner of Studemont and White Oak Dr. A High Profile retail/restaurant location, in the heart of the Vibrant Historic South Heights. A beautiful, and unique building being built , as part of the already bustling South Heights district. A high curtain wall of glass will cantilever, and overlook White Oak Bayou. This is a one of a kind location, with a one of a kind construction.

From the brochure:

2805 White Oak Blvd is a unique restaurant/retail pad opportunity located in the heart of the historic Houston Heights neighborhood.  This site is surrounded by a vibrant mix of critically acclaimed restaurants and bars, historic Victorian era homes, and eclectic retailers. Situated where
White Oak meets the Heights Hike & Bike Trail, this 10,000 SF retail development serves as an exciting opportunity to connect with the pedestrian scene that this neighborhood is known for.

• Up to 10,000 SF of restaurant and retail space available

• One of the very few lots of this size in the Heights 
Historic District zoned for new development

• Direct access to and from the Heights Hike &Bike Trail, 
a 6.8 mile stretch of well-traveled pedestrian walkways
connecting the Heights to downtown Houston

YmAkEAd.jpg

mqlyNgy.jpg

Photos of the property, which functions as a parking lot, Photos are from the Loopnet listing.

lPd1j4h.jpg

wHDVWFh.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

Originally posted February 20, 2018 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order), and may include outdated information,  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

I wasn't  able to 
retrieve  everything I contributed to this forum, mostly what was posted on the first page last year (included earlier renderings, updated renderings, earlier site plans, archived links to leasing brochures and Loopnet listings, and earlier reports of the project - all of which the OP never includes when they create a thread that would be helpful for others to see as a reference (months or years later) or for those who view this forum on their tablets or cell phones and don't want to download PDF files to see additional details). However I was able to save pages 2  from this thread and will repost content I shared (and found) previously from those pages.

Site mao and site plans for the new retail development proposed for the parking lot at 2805 White Oak Dr in the Heights, Houston.

This comes from the brochure.

2WoUItU.jpg
(direct link to non-compress, full sized image (easier to zoom in)

XB2fQAD.jpg

(direct link to non-compress, full sized image (easier to zoom in)

I wasn't  able to 

Proposed rendering for the new retail development proposed for the parking lot at 2805 White Oak Dr in the Heights, Houston.

iwSLCE0.jpg

Originally posted February 27, 2018 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order), and may include outdated information,  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

I wasn't  able to 

More on the new retail development proposed for the parking lot at 2805 White Oak Dr in the Heights, Houston.

From Swamplot:

A NEW shopping center dubbed South Heights on White Oak has plans to land in the shared parking lot on White Oak Dr. just west of the former Jimmy’s Ice House at Threlkeld St. The rendering at top — taken from a leasing flyer for the development put out by Centric Commercial — views the proposed woodsy building from the north side of White Oak Dr., at the edge of the lot between Christian’s Tailgate and Barnaby’s Cafe. On the east side of the building, a deck fronted by a glass curtain wall cantilevers over a drainage ditch that runs north from White Oak Bayou through the woods between the site and the neighboring ice house.

...Only 
5 spots are planned for the 10,000-sq.-ft. building’s parking lot, indicated in the site plan with one way in and one way out onto White Oak. However, the owner of the property — an affiliate of automated parking developer Easy Park — is the same entity that bought the yellow car hangar across the street and appears to have plans to dramatically increase that lot’s car capacity
:

http://swamplot.com/new-modern-retail-center-to-park-next-to-former-jimmys-ice-house-dangle-deck-over-ditch-on-its-side/2018-02-27/

Originally posted May 1, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order), and may include outdated information,  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

I wasn't  able to 

Updated Loopnet listing of 2805 White Oak Dr. This is the development South Heights on White Oak Dr. under construction in the Heights in Houston.

Discussion of the automated parking garage next to the Fitzgerald's building is here.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/2904-2920-White-Oak-Dr-Houston-TX/15766084/
(archive link)

DdUnG7g.jpg

Originally posted May 1, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order), and may include outdated information,  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

I wasn't  able to 
retrieve  everything I contributed to this forum, mostly what was posted on the first page last year (included earlier renderings, updated renderings, earlier site plans, archived links to leasing brochures and Loopnet listings, and earlier reports of the project). However I was able to save pages 2  from this thread and will repost content I shared (and found) previously from those pages.

Updated brochure and site plan of 2805 White Oak Dr.

This is the development South Heights on White Oak Dr. under construction in the Heights in Houston.

Tenants proposed include:

Karne
Chick'nCone

https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/956CVFRE-hTe3nbegF5EesWV5JWE0WIPKlbXtS9lyhQ/document.pdf

(archive link)

T09htTB.jpg
(direct link to non-compressed, full sized image: link )

j7r3DoI.jpg

(direct link: link )

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Originally posted June 7, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order), and may include outdated information,  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

I wasn't  able to 
retrieve  everything I contributed to this forum, mostly what was posted on the first page last year (included earlier renderings, updated renderings, earlier site plans, archived links to leasing brochures and Loopnet listings, and earlier reports of the project). However I was able to save pages 2  from this thread and will repost content I shared (and found) previously from those pages.

Chick'nCone confirmed a restaurant is opening at South Heights on White Oak Dr. This is the development in the Heights (Houston) at  2805 White Oak Dr from Chicago-based developers My Park Easy. Houston-based Centric Commercial Real Estate Advisors are the brokers for the property.

From the website:

Coming Soon: 2805 White Oak Dr. Houston Heights, opening in 2020

https://www.chickncone.com/locations

Originally posted June 7, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order), and may include outdated information,  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

I wasn't  able to 
retrieve  everything I contributed to this forum, mostly what was posted on the first page last year (included earlier renderings, updated renderings, earlier site plans, archived links to leasing brochures and Loopnet listings, and earlier reports of the project). However I was able to save pages 2  from this thread and will repost content I shared (and found) previously from those pages. Archive link to page 2 is here.

On 5/2/2019 at 6:56 AM, Angostura said:

Chick'ncone is a small chain serving chicken-nuggets-in-a-waffle-cone, with locations in NYC, Dubai, Colorado and the Woodlands.

Light googling didn't turn up anything on Karne, but one assumes it's a steakhouse of some sort.

Here's more on the restaurant Karne (possibly?) and the rest of the new development at  2805 White Oak Dr in the Heights, Houston. This was updated recently.

The development is named South Heights on White Oak and is from Easy Park in Chicago.

This comes from their other company Verde, which is their retail and apartment arm (I posted about this company in another thread):

Just across the street, we are under construction with a new building leased to a Korean restaurant opening its first restaurant outside of New York City.

The seating area will include an outdoor patio cantilevered over the White Oak ravine. A chicken and waffle cones restaurant concept will also open in the building in 2020.

We have a live camera on location and soon visitors to our web site can see ongoing construction in real time.

https://verdecommunities.com/retail/

Originally posted July 6 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order), and may include outdated information,  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

I wasn't  able to 
retrieve  everything I contributed to this forum, mostly what was posted on the first page last year (included earlier renderings, updated renderings, earlier site plans, archived links to leasing brochures and Loopnet listings, and earlier reports of the project). However I was able to save pages 2  from this thread and will repost content I shared (and found) previously from those pages. Archive link to page 2 is here.

On 7/5/2019 at 7:28 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Here's more on the restaurant Karne (possibly?) and the rest of the new development at  2805 White Oak Dr in the Heights, Houston. This was updated recently.

The development is named South Heights on White Oak and is from Easy Park in Chicago.

This comes from their other company Verde, which is their retail and apartment arm (I posted about this company in another thread):

Just across the street, we are under construction with a new building leased to a Korean restaurant opening its first restaurant outside of New York City.

The seating area will include an outdoor patio cantilevered over the White Oak ravine. A chicken and waffle cones restaurant concept will also open in the building in 2020.

We have a live camera on location and soon visitors to our web site can see ongoing construction in real time.

https://verdecommunities.com/retail/

I'm not sure when this site map and site plan were uploaded by Hunington Properties, but it shows  more details about Karne.

Yesterday, I found a blurb on Verde's website (the retail arm for Easy Park) that Karne  will be a Korean restaurant  at the South Heights on White Oak. This is the new retail building under construction in the Heights at 2805 White Oak Dr.

A marketing brochure for South Heights on White Oaks shows Karne as a Korean barbecue restaurant. The upload date in the url for the pdf file shows September 2018. It's possible this is old because the proposed automated parking garage is shown still on the site of 2912 White Oak Dr instead of the new site at 2714 White Oak Dr.

https://www.hpiproperties.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/south-heights-on-white-oak.pdf

ALxuelJ.jpg

J0xM8VR.jpg