Sign in to follow this  
CrockpotandGravel

1002 Westheimer

CrockpotandGravel    4,336

Burger King has been on the lot at 1002 Westheimer in Montrose since 1997. It closed in January.

xDdPgV4.jpg

msT5tYS.jpg

From Swamplot:

A Swamplot reader sends photos of the now see-through drive-thru signage on the north side of Burger King’s former building at 1002 Westheimer, across the street from the Westmont Shopping Center home to Spec’s, Half Price Books, and a Mattress Firm. The restaurant abdicated earlier this week.

http://swamplot.com/burger-king-has-stepped-down-from-the-corner-of-montrose-and-lincoln/2018-01-25/

• Like 1

Last week, someone left a comment on Swamplot that Shake Shack is replacing Burger King at 1002 Westheimer in Montrose. Today, Swamplot is reporting it's true.

From Swamplot:

Shake Shack has taken over the lease on the building Burger King left last month at the corner of Westheimer and Lincoln, a block west of Montrose. The fast-casual restaurant with 2 current Houston locations and one in the works signed off last week on at least a 15-year residency at 1002 Westheimer, next to Blacksmith

More: http://swamplot.com/shake-shack-will-be-taking-over-former-burger-king-drive-thru-on-westheimer-at-montrose/2018-02-16/

• Like 3

j_cuevas713    1,251

This is really great news for the area. I feel the Shake Shack will be very pedestrian friendly. I always hated driving out of that Burger King and feeling like I was about to hit someone. Now I hope Smoothie King takes notes down the street. They have really let that place go. 

IronTiger    805
3 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

This is really great news for the area. I feel the Shake Shack will be very pedestrian friendly. I always hated driving out of that Burger King and feeling like I was about to hit someone. Now I hope Smoothie King takes notes down the street. They have really let that place go. 

If they're taking over the lease and not completely demolishing it that means that the building and layout will be more or less the same. I could see them eliminating the drive-through though.

dbigtex56    302

Noticed today that chain-link fence is now surrounding the property. 
No changes on the building itself are visible, but at least  it's no longer a place for people to sleep or congregate.
An aside: before Burger King took over the lot, a 1920's stucco Mission style gas station stood there. It had been converted and operated as Dorsey's Auto Glass for many years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

dbigtex56    302

Per Swamplot, demolition permit for this property was released yesterday.

trymahjong    231

I saw Danny Meyers interview on 60minutes. His  higher menu prices and “ no tipping “ policies, that had hopes of benefitting his front staff and line cooks, appRently have hit a few snags—-Forbes had an article about it in January.

mollusk    1,678

Years ago, Spec of Spec's opened a restaurant with higher prices and no tipping - complete with table tents telling the customers that he considered paying his employees to be his responsibility, not theirs.  It didn't last very long... then again, this was also long before Midtown was a thing.

IronTiger    805

So, have any plans of how Shake Shack plans to configure the building been released? If they demolished the building, they probably have plans to either have no drive through at all (for street frontage) or plan to build the restaurant where the current parking lot is now (which would not have street frontage).

Posted (edited)
On 7/28/2018 at 9:10 PM, IronTiger said:

So, have any plans of how Shake Shack plans to configure the building been released? If they demolished the building, they probably have plans to either have no drive through at all (for street frontage) or plan to build the restaurant where the current parking lot is now (which would not have street frontage).

Renderings for the Montrose Shake Shack in Houston, 1002 Westheimer were released to the public Friday.

jNljMHDr.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

More on the Montrose Shake Shack in Houston, 1002 Westheimer from Houston Business Journal:

Shake Shack's Montrose location at 1002 Westheimer Road will open in late 2018, a company spokesperson told the Houston Business Journal. It'll contain 3,400 square feet of space and a large outdoor patio.

The restaurant and its tables will be built from recycled and sustainable materials, including reclaimed bowling alley lanes and lumber certified by the Forest Stewardship Council, the spokesperson said.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/08/24/shake-shack-reveals-opening-date-more-information.html

That's a really odd rendering—doesn't seem to be set anywhere near Montrose. The building in the background on the left is a Pollo Tropical restaurant.

trymahjong    231

I guess after viewing  this photo I will issue a shuttering sigh.......

After all those COH planning meetings where I was told that building to the sidewalk and having parking in the back would be the new “de rigueur” for all new development in lower Westheimer.............not.

intencity77    167

It would be the ideal way to establishing more pedestrian friendly corridors going forward but bad, old habits die hard here in these parts. 

Houston19514    2,458
1 hour ago, trymahjong said:

After all those COH planning meetings where I was told that building to the sidewalk and having parking in the back would be the new “de rigueur” for all new development in lower Westheimer.............not.

Maybe there will be patio between the building and the sidewalk?

Luminare    1,570
1 hour ago, trymahjong said:

Depends on when they told you that, depends on when they started implementing those ideas, and depends on when this got permitted.

A lot of those ideas they have been promising have been rather recently. I imagine that some developments until the end of this year and a little into next year will probably be grandfathered over for the sake of keeping business going. I don't think we will see the real impact of these ideas until next year and certainly not until they redo this portion of westheimer.

trymahjong    231

I agree 

When pointed out to COH ( in one of these meetings) that a variance would have to be requested by the developer to PUT the structures next to sidewalk for a  more walkable lower Westheimer———quickly you are told COH ( or whatever their PR is called) approach ALL developers to apprise them of Houston’s goals of walkability.  Huh?

Yes developers are told all that; so their development will “meld with the walkability plans of lower Westheimer renovation.

All this was in last 3 years...........still no action to put ordinances in place that would dictate placement along lower Westheimer.