Shops At West Gray: 615 W. Gray St.

Urbannizer

http://platformgroup.com/project/615-west-gray/

Located in the Montrose neighborhood of Houston, this ~25,930 sf site sits at the southeast corner of West Gray Street and Stanford Street, between Montrose Boulevard and Taft Street. Platform is in the early stages of feasibility studies.

http://platformgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/West-Gray-01.jpg

http://platformgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/W-Gray-Aerial.jpg

http://platformgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/West-Gray-02.jpg

• Like 2

I thought both sites were owned by Biba at one point. I'm hoping this means he sold the land. Three restaurant groups have been run out 607.

According to HCAD, the owner at 607 went from 'NOONKY INC' to 'HOUSTON W GRAY STANFORD LLC' in 2017.

That goes for 603, 607, and 611. 615 is also HOUSTON W GRAY STANFORD LLC, but was not 'NOONKY INC' previously.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2018 at 2:12 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Is it a full demo of the building or partial demo??????????

Sounds like full demo. Platform has drone images about ~100 feet above the site showing views of the city. May this suggest a multi-sytory building is proposed?

W-Gray-View-East.jpg

W-Gray-View-West.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sounds almost like the type of developments you see in New England. The old school three story, stores on the first floor, housing on the second and third floor. 

That would take a lot of "new psychology" for many a Houston resident. Although if you've ever lived in Midtown, some of those apartments share walls with bars and that is an interesting experience in itself. I'm sure they wouldn't let that happen here.

• Like 1

That little building on Bissonnet is one my favorite new little developments in town. Great scale. Great uses. Nice contemporary look. They also handle parking and the placement of the building in the best way they could have. Definitely would like to see more.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Luminare said:

That little building on Bissonnet is one my favorite new little developments in town. Great scale. Great uses. Nice contemporary look. They also handle parking and the placement of the building in the best way they could have. Definitely would like to see more.

To be fair, to meet the parking requirements they had to tear down an older (historic?) home a few doors west, to build another parking lot.  But I can't blame them for the City's parking minimums.

• 2 months later...

Originally posted July 18, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

More on the vision for 615 W Gray St in a recent article on Papercity Magazine's site. This article is about Steve and Hilary Ybarra, their work on 2132 Bissonnet and other projects coming soon:

2132 Bissonnet is not a one-off development in the neighborhood the Ybarras live in. This architect couple (Steve and Hilary met while both were studying at Yale University’s graduate school of architecture) already has bought lots in the East End (at 3501 Harrisburg Boulevard, right across from a light rail stop) and at 615 West Gray in Montrose. They plan to do mixed-use developments similar in scope to 2132 Bissonnet on both sites.

Part of their vision revolves around the idea of showing what can be done with mixed-use developments built on a more modest scale (two to three stories).

“We also talked about a new psychology for Houston,” Hilary says. “These mixed-use projects replacing the generic strip mall with a something a little more dense and a little more interesting.”

“Houston has a lot of big developments,” Steve says. “You have River Oaks District. You have The Post Oak. Very large scale things. We’d certainly love to do something on that scale in the future, but for now we like focusing on smaller sites that — while not as large — have the potential to be the type of buildings that people will interact with more on a daily basis.”

https://www.papercitymag.com/real-estate/steve-hilary-ybarra-new-houston-developers-2132-bissonett/

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to 615 West Gray
  • 1 year later...
12 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

Found a rendering produced in 2019 but the developer has removed their webpage for this.

I like the rendering and enjoy the hifalutin descriptions, although I cannot claim to understand them. 
One question:  what's it for? Is it a school?

• 5 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to 615 W. Gray St.
  • 8 months later...
On 3/5/2023 at 8:23 PM, bayoucitysfinest said:

Any updates on this land? I live in the area and would love it if there was a cool coffee shop or retail center at this corner lot on gray and Stanford. 

Looks like there is finally some movement on the property. Proposed plat.

m3oCRNB.png
sj0vqPA.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2023 at 11:35 AM, hindesky said:

Looks like there is finally some movement on the property. Proposed plat.

m3oCRNB.png
sj0vqPA.png

Does this mean the proposed plat named Shops at Stanford will be discussed at the next planning commission meeting?

The Shops at Stanford plat is the property at the corner of W Gray and Stanford St. 615 W Gray St is the address.

Also, is there a recent model of the proposed building?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m actually excited about this project. Identity architects have built some beautiful buildings over the past few years. I’m hoping for a coffee shop and somewhere to grab a bite to eat at this location! I live in the area and think this will be awesome! Any images of the rendering??

• Like 3