Sign in to follow this  
CrockpotandGravel

1803 Pease

Office building built in 1967 at 1803 Pease in downtown Houston:

zorx70N.jpg

Google Map photo:

QY01DoP.jpg

The building has been listed on Loopnet off and on since 2008.

Here is the listing from 2013:

±6,000 sq. ft. brick office building on 5,000 sq. ft. of land

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18069463/1803-Pease-Street-Houston-TX/

Photos from the listing:

OH0q5mp.jpg

VNrd3W3.jpg

A4zgTOp.jpg

More on 1803 Pease:

From Swamplot:

TABC signage tacked to the 2-story office structure at 1803 Pease St. notes that AZ Furniture is applying for permission to serve beverages into the late hours on site. Could it be that a boozy cabinetry boutique is in the works, or a couch showroom that fronts a speakeasy? No, according to building permits filed to convert the 5,952-sq.-ft. building into a bar. The name listed on those permits is more suited for a venue located 3 blocks southeast of the Toyota Center — it’s Slam Dunk Bar & Grill.

Renovations began on the building last year.

More:
http://swamplot.com/office-building-to-bar-conversion-now-in-its-alphabetical-furniture-store-alcohol-license-phase/2018-02-05/

• Like 1

Good luck to them, but I wonder how popular this is going to be on the edge of downtown.  If the food is good I might stop there on my way home (I've driven by it every day for the past 4 years) but there's so much more within walking distance of everything else that makes this section of downtown an after thought

They'll have problems every time someone wanders out the door to the corner of Chenevert, and Pease.

(:ph34r: I'll show myself out...)

• Like 1

On 2/6/2018 at 3:43 PM, cspwal said:

Good luck to them, but I wonder how popular this is going to be on the edge of downtown.  

Downtown's edge is fluid. Being a pioneer in an up and coming area is sometimes a huge payoff. With the Hamilton, Camden's two residential, Allied, 1891 San Jacinto, and a booming east downtown this place might have a quickly increasing built in client base.

• Like 2

I forgot about the Hamilton! This could become its own little area, and this bar will be on the ground floor

I drove thru this area today on my way to get my haircut and it really is starting to come together. I was impressed.

Edited by j_cuevas713

Actually, once these new developments start filling up this will be one of the most populated quadrants in the city.

Besides the Hamilton, you have:

2016 Main

Houston House

Marlowe 

Sky House 1 & 2

Camden's  new development south of Root Park

and the three new 5-8 story residential projects around the Co Cathedral

So most of the small one and two story buildings will start finding new lives as retail and service oriented establishments. 

Probably several will become bars and restaurants . I like the feel of the bars across from The House of Blues and I could see that trend continuing over to Eado.

• Like 2

I never walk east unless I'm going to a Rockets game.  Hopefully this will change as more stuff comes in

23 hours ago, bobruss said:

Actually, once these new developments start filling up this will be one of the most populated quadrants in the city.

2016 Main

Houston House

Marlowe 

Sky House 1 & 2

So most of the small one and two story buildings will start finding new lives as retail and service oriented establishments. 

Probably several will become bars and restaurants . I like the feel of the bars across from The House of Blues and I could see that trend continuing over to Eado.

A grocer needs to get into the mix soon, the number of residents in the south east quadrant alone could support one when all these properties are filled. The surface lot south of Marlowe would be ideal IMHO, close to all these projects and close to the light rail. C'mon HEB this would be perfect for you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hindesky said:

A grocer needs to get into the mix soon, the number of residents in the south east quadrant alone could support one when all these properties are filled. The surface lot south of Marlowe would be ideal IMHO, close to all these projects and close to the light rail. C'mon HEB this would be perfect for you.

The lot South of Marlow is parking for the law school, no?  Isn’t it owned by the law school?   Hmmmmm..... I always thought that it was but I could be completely wrong.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2018 at 9:05 PM, bobruss said:

2016 Main

Houston House

Marlowe 

Sky House 1 & 2

This quadrant of downtown remains pretty inhospitable if you ask me and sorely lacking in amenities to enhance livability.  I suppose its only positive is it's closer to Midtown than the areas around DG and Market Square Park, but if that's what you were going for, I'd just as soon live in Midtown.

Camden will be a different story . . . I know, I know, it's only several blocks from the developments around the Cathedral and the Skyhouses.  They're just really long, uninteresting, isolated, lonely blocks.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

This quadrant of downtown remains pretty inhospitable if you ask me and sorely lacking in amenities to enhance livability.  I suppose its only positive is it's closer to Midtown than the areas around DG and Market Square Park, but if that's what you were going for, I'd just as soon live in Midtown.

Camden will be a different story . . . I know, I know, it's only several blocks from the developments around the Cathedral and the Skyhouses.  They're just really long, uninteresting, isolated, lonely blocks.

Yeah, the only positive is that its a short walk/drive to TC/DG/EaDo/Midtown but the immediate area has zero appeal. 

16 minutes ago, mattyt36 said:

Sure it is right now. I'm just saying that with actual feet on the ground retailers will take notice. It won't be the Gap or Barnes and Noble but will start creeping in one bar or diner or small service oriented space at a time.The empty or run down buildings that you don't even see because your looking up will get repurposed and it will become a vibrant neighborhood. It might be longer than you care to wait, but hey I've only been waiting since 1960 when I was ten and became excited about Houston finally becoming a big city and then it would get finished. Well that and the edge of the Universe.

Trust me perfect example:

Washington corridor  not that long ago they had steel plants all kinds of light industry. There were hazmat type sites along the railroad tracks metal salvage plants. Ant those were the good things. It was full of used car lots mom and pop stores, Goodwill and Salvation Army, a lot of rundown discarded old buildings. It was terrible. Crime was high, the people were higher and it seemed like it would take a miracle. But even then you could see all of those old buildings sitting there and you knew at some point this would eventually become a high traffic, bustling part of town. That was in 1994. Look at it now. Look at around discovery green you want to talk desolate. you should have seen it in 2000.

• Like 3

Hey I'm with you.

As is the case with many things in Houston, though, there is little major coordinated development.  If one general area could've received all this new residential development (or even the Market Square -> MMP axis), I think the theorized "critical mass" would already be there.

Hopefully the Plan Downtown efforts will at least come close to being realized.

Creme de la Creme daycare is over there and is truly a bustling spot. 300 kids from newborns to preschool and run like a machine, now it costs about the same as college tuition but hey!

They do have two uniformed armed constables at all times for security and traffic control.

2 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Hey I'm with you.

As is the case with many things in Houston, though, there is little major coordinated development.  If one general area could've received all this new residential development (or even the Market Square -> MMP axis), I think the theorized "critical mass" would already be there.

Hopefully the Plan Downtown efforts will at least come close to being realized.

Look, I'm like many on here. I love Houston, and want the best city it can be. But in my 68 years on this earth I've found that those things that get master planned to death don't always work out so well. It seems to me that if done naturally and things are allowed to metamorphis on its own it comes out being more fun. I know that seems like eternity and you have no control over who moves in or what it looks like but it will be a much more natural interesting area if left to grow that way. I like some diversity and I hate the feel of these planned shopping areas. They all have no feel, they are usually very synthetic and sanitized. Perfect example is Green street. All I'm saying is once people who live in the area discover what the neighborhood does and doesn't have some of those residents will decide they can open a coffee shop or a cleaners or barber shop maybe a florist and then all of a sudden something snaps and before you know it you cant afford to live in the area any more. 

Sometimes  "the best- laid schemes of mice and men  gang aft a-gley".  Burns

7 hours ago, bobruss said:

Look, I'm like many on here. I love Houston, and want the best city it can be. But in my 68 years on this earth I've found that those things that get master planned to death don't always work out so well. It seems to me that if done naturally and things are allowed to metamorphis on its own it comes out being more fun. I know that seems like eternity and you have no control over who moves in or what it looks like but it will be a much more natural interesting area if left to grow that way. I like some diversity and I hate the feel of these planned shopping areas. They all have no feel, they are usually very synthetic and sanitized. Perfect example is Green street. All I'm saying is once people who live in the area discover what the neighborhood does and doesn't have some of those residents will decide they can open a coffee shop or a cleaners or barber shop maybe a florist and then all of a sudden something snaps and before you know it you cant afford to live in the area any more. 

Sometimes  "the best- laid schemes of mice and men  gang aft a-gley".  Burns

Hey I'm also with you there.  Don't have 68 years (am the son of a native Houstonian of the same age) but going on 40.  Moved back 4 years ago after living in DC, SF, Mexico, and Canada and wouldn't live anywhere else.  Am also not a proponent of the heavy hand of zoning.  We must remind ourselves, however, that these projects did have a "heavy hand" involved in the form of the DLI.  I think perhaps the parcels could've been restricted.  Of course, that would have favored one group of landowners over another, but in the long run, one could possibly make the argument that a "higher tide" of at least geographically coordinated development could've lifted more ships faster.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

As someone who studied in grad school right next to THE Bauhaus in Germany, and is now living here in Houston, was pretty fun seeing news of the name for the place. Apparently its an EDM club! The EDM scene recently took a hit when Gravity in Midtown shutdown (chill club, but bad location). I think this location will actually work out for this one. Zero competition around it, and with no neighbors they can be as loud as they want. From what I read it looks like they will be doing a mix of mainstream EDM acts and more underground House acts. I'll probably go exclusively for House. Will definitely check it out.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1