Bill Williams Chicken House At 6515 South Main St.

MarthaG

I have searched the past posts, but I can't find where anyone posted a picture of the Indians atop the Bill Williams restaurant on Main Street. If someone has one, would they please post it?

I don't want to get too excited, but I think I may have found one of the Indians while on an outing this weekend. He was kneeling on one knee, and he had his hand in a position where he would have been holding a stick (over the fire?), and a hole in the extended hand that would have held a pole or large stick.

Sorry Heights, I've never seen a picture of the Indians. I have several menus, postcards and matchbooks, but no pic of the Indians. :(

Great menu, SpaceAge!

I swear someone posted a photo or post card of the restaurant with the two Indians on the roof. Maybe it was Subdude, but I haven't seen him posting recently.

Tbird, are you out there, Buddy?

I'm here, but with no positive answer. Main thing I remember is the flickering, neon campfire at night. I thought the Indians' features were outlined with neon lighting too, but that wouldn't have been practical with a 3-dimensional figure like yours. In the back of my mind, I was thinking a flat, plywood version, but I really can't be sure. Subdude's postcard didn't show the Indians on top. Must not have been there then. I'm lookin' and askin' around. Your Indian is in pretty good condition, if he's been sitting outside for some 50 years.

Well, the bummer part is we still have no original photo of the indians and one indian is still missing. :(

A bigger bummer is that we will never taste that chicken again- the best I ever had. I do remember the indians looked like the summerville one- they were 3d figures and the one on the right as you faced them was kneeling, and the other was kneeling or sitting.

• 1 month later...

Haven't seen anyone mention this old landmark on South Main, was it? Right in the heart of the Medical Center, directly across the street from the Methodist Hospital. Dine-in or drive-thru.

Also, how about the old McDonald's Drive-In? I believe they had to change their name to TOPPS? when the current McD's came to town, but could be wrong about that.

Anyone remember these places?

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I posted the original question looking for info to refurbish my Bill Williams Indian. It is the fiberglass Indian that sits on highway 36 in Somerville Tx. I know it is a genuine Bill Williams Indian because there were two Indians and the other one is still in Fort Bend County.

When the Bill Williams restaurant was demolished, one of the demo men bought both Indians and moved them to his place in Fort Bend county. Later the land was divided/sold and one Indian stayed put. The other moved to Birch Creek Forest on Lake Somerville with the demo man, Mr. Wheeler. Many years later the Wheelers sold their home but sadly had to leave the Indian behind. The new homeowner's wife soon decided against the Indian and he sold it to me. What attention we drew as I pulled him down the highway on my flatbed trailer!!!!!!!!

If you find yourself in Somerville, wave at the Indian to let him know he's not forgotten. He kneels on the north city limits line. Better yet, stop and say "how!" We also have the best area museum downtown open Saturdays from 10:00 to 2:00 (free). You can reach me at dmangriff@hotmail.com if you have any info to help me refurbish him authentically. www.griffsharbor.com

========================================================================

I have searched the past posts, but I can't find where anyone posted a picture of the Indians atop the Bill Williams restaurant on Main Street. If someone has one, would they please post it?

I don't want to get too excited, but I think I may have found one of the Indians while on an outing this weekend. He was kneeling on one knee, and he had his hand in a position where he would have been holding a stick (over the fire?), and a hole in the extended hand that would have held a pole or large stick.

Does this guy look familiar? He is about 6-7' tall as he kneels, so he is about the right size. See the hole in his hand? It would have held something like a stick, and it could have extended over the "fire" between the two Indians.

BillWilliamsIndian.gif

Glad you finally posted! I can’t tell you how excited I was when I passed by and saw that big fella. I just knew he was one of them as soon as I caught sight of him. I only remember going to the South Main restaurant once, but passed by it often, I went to the place in Richmond many times, and we saw Williams there on a number of occasions. My granddad knew him pretty well.

Edited by Heights2Bastrop

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Makes me wonder how many fantastic photos are sitting in boxes and drawers of people with no techno skills to share them with the world.

That would be me...........no techno skills.

This spot would be where the current O'Quinn Towers is now.