Bill Williams Chicken House At 6515 South Main St.

MarthaG

• 4 weeks later...
Great illustration - postcard?

Were there Indians on top of the building at one time, or just the sign? I don't think I ever saw the building; we came to town on Almeda/288, across on Holcombe, then up Fannin to Montrose, and seldom went on Main.

Bill Williams had other restaurants, too.

Anybody have an explanation of what 'fried chicken, savage style' meant? I've heard something from another source but would like to confirm it. Actually, I'd heard it was 'savage skillet style.'

Here's another one of the Bill Williams restaurants I dug up that was on OST.

williamsmacgregor.jpg

Here's another one of the Bill Williams restaurants I dug up that was on OST.

williamsmacgregor.jpg

Thanks, Subdude, (and welcome back). I had driven by that intersection a couple of times of late trying to remember the Bill Williams there. I think that curved front strip center on both sides of MLK was there in the 50s.

In my childhood memories I always confused that intersection with Waugh at what is now Allen Parkway, where the Buffalo House stood. Seeing the name Macgregor House on the Bill Williams helps me understand why.

Re: your OST Motel thread - Alamo Plaza is still standing, now 'efficiency apartments.' Doesn't look too bad from the outside. Further east, at 5810, next to Fire Station 40 where OST becomes Wayside, stands the Big State Motel and not far away, around the corner on Telephone, the Sunset Motel. Both were there in the 50s IIRC and are still in operation. I saw another one between 288 and Griggs on OST that's real old, now shuttered, but can't find the scrap of paper I wrote it down on.

Someday I'm going to get over there and get some pics.

Edited by brucesw

• 8 months later...
The postcard there says it all, and it says fried chicken SAVAGE style. Those postcards were usually paintings over photographs, so that they would be pretty acurate. B)

You are right Martha. Subdude's collection is astounding. My bet is that he used to frequent alot of "Stuckey's" roadside marts as a kid on family vacations. Any hints as to where all these come from, Sub.

:D

Yes, Stuckey's had racks full of postcards. Subdude needs to try to find out if he's in possession of some "treasures." Who knows? There might be some postcard collectors out there who would pay a good price for some of them.

Yes, Stuckey's had racks full of postcards. Subdude needs to try to find out if he's in possession of some "treasures." Who knows? There might be some postcard collectors out there who would pay a good price for some of them.

Ash, I believe it to be one of Subdude's hobbies, he doesn't get out much you know. But don't tell him I told you that, ok. ;)

Edited by TJones

Ash, I believe it to be one of Subdude's hobbies, he doesn't get out much you know. But don't tell him I told you that, ok. ;)

What do you mean "don't tell him"? He can clearly see everything that you, I, and everyone else posts.

Speaking of Stucky's, does anyone remember that now abandoned one on I-10 about half way to Louisiana? I don't know why they thought they could make money way out there in the middle of nowhere.

The one that is now closed down and abondoned is located on IH-10 and FM 1136 just outside of Orange, not far from where I live. The building is still there. To the best of my knowledge, the one on IH-10 between Anahuac and Winnie is still open. But my belief is that its days are numbered. I think that Cracker Barrel and other roadside places will eventually take over. "Stuckeys.Com" says that there are only two Stuckey's on IH-10 in the entire state of Texas: the one between Anahuac and Winnie and one in El Paso.

As I recall, there were actual wooden indians (painted red) like statues that sat on top....

Does anyone else remember them?

I remember them being three-dimensional figures, and they were kneeling, one on either side of the fire. They were not on top of the building, rather on the overhand of the entrance. I believe they were on the Fannin Street side, so you wouldn't necessarily see them from Main.

Martha and H2B are correct. There were 3D injun savages cookin up Savage Fried Chicken on the roof.

Do either of you remember the buffalo on the Town House at Waugh and Allen Parkway?

townhouse1.jpg

townhouse2.jpg

B)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! What a cool site. Glad I found it. I'm a native Houstonion, age 50+ so I remember Westbury Square, Gateway Pool and all the other cool places y'all have mentioned here.

Anyway, does anyone have a photo and/or memories of the old lady fortune-telling machine that was inside Bill Williams restaraunt on South Main back in the 50's?

Thanks,

Becky

Anyway, does anyone have a photo and/or memories of the old lady fortune-telling machine that was inside Bill Williams restaraunt on South Main back in the 50's?

Thanks,

Becky

I have vivid memories of the old lady fortune-telling machine. In fact, I may have mentioned it in an earlier discussion on this website.

However, the Bill Williams that I went to with my parents back in the 60's was the one on Hwy 90 in Richmond. Since 90 becomes South Main, maybe you meant that one (they had several locations)

or maybe the old lady was at all their restaurants!

My parents liked to take a leisurly drive somewhere out of town on the weekend to a favorite restaurant. They brought a cocktail for the road (it was different then, pre-MADD), and we would get drinks and snacks too. Our favorites were Bill Williams in Richmond and Jimmy Walkers in Kemah.

The Bill Williams we went to often had an older lady (another old lady!)playing organ in the dining room. The Fortune Teller was up front near the cashier, next to the baseball game that my brothers and I loved to play. We didn't put much money into the old lady fortune teller, but she stared at us while we played baseball!

Good memories. Houston was different then, but we all knew it was destined for great things. I'm a native.

I have vivid memories of the old lady fortune-telling machine. In fact, I may have mentioned it in an earlier discussion on this website.

However, the Bill Williams that I went to with my parents back in the 60's was the one on Hwy 90 in Richmond. Since 90 becomes South Main, maybe you meant that one (they had several locations)

or maybe the old lady was at all their restaurants!

The Bill Williams we went to often had an older lady (another old lady!)playing organ in the dining room. The Fortune Teller was up front near the cashier, next to the baseball game that my brothers and I loved to play. We didn't put much money into the old lady fortune teller, but she stared at us while we played baseball!

Good memories.

We went to the Bill Williams near Richmond often, also. That location was beautiful. It was a resort on the river with giant oak trees all around the restaurant, motel, and pool. The fortune-telling lady in the glass box was creepy. I thought she was real at first. We were never allowed to waste any money on the machines. Do you-all remember the wash basins/sinks located in the foyer of the restaurant? There was a tile counter with several basins, soap and towels. I think that was an excellent idea. All restaurants should have that. That way you were clean and ready to eat as soon as you were seated. They placed orange plastic giraffes in our iced tea and had the best rolls with real butter and honey. Bill Williams, Jimmy Walkers, Captain John's, Kaphan's, and Christies were/ are my favorite restaurants.

?? That's not me.

The card says this was at Highways 59 and 90-A. What roads are they today? Was this on Alt-90 outside of Richmond?

I figured it wasn't, just kidding. Do you have that postcard ?

This joint would have been in Rosenberg.

Edited by TJones
  • Like 1

The card says this was at Highways 59 and 90-A. What roads are they today? Was this on Alt-90 outside of Richmond?

It was on the left about a mile before you get to the bridges that cross the Brazos. There was only one bridge then, the older one that's still there today.

After the restuarant closed, it was a C&W club called, I think, the Wounded Armadillo. I'm not positive, but I think there's a vetenarian's office there now now that still occupies at least some of the old buildings.

Speaking of classic old restaurants, Larry's Mexican Restaurant, which is on the left just before you get to the bridge, is the real thing and worth a drive. It's been there since the early 60's.

• Like 1

There is actually an "Old Woman" fortune telling machine at Dave & Buster's, similar to what you are describing. I just called and confirmed, they still have it there, it is at the front door.

Edited by TJones
  • Like 1

There is actually an "Old Woman" fortune telling machine at Dave & Buster's, similar to what you are describing. I just called and confirmed, they still have it there, it is at the front door.

What great detective work! I will stop in sometime to see if it is the same one. If it is and is still operational, it would have to have had major refurbishment, I would think.

• 8 months later...
Speaking of Stucky's, does anyone remember that now abandoned one on I-10 about half way to Louisiana? I don't know why they thought they could make money way out there in the middle of nowhere.

There are two on IH-10 between Houston and the Louisiana state line. The one between Anahuac and Winnie, to the best of my knowledge is still open. If my memory serves me correctly, you would take the Jenkins Road exit. Now the one in Orange was located at IH-10 and FM 1136. I think that it closed down in the mid/late 1990s. I know that it was still open in 1992 because on the first day of the Texas Lottery, I bought the first package of scratch-off tickets there.

I think that Stuckey's strategically located their stores out in the middle of nowhere to accomodate tired travelers who needed to use the restroom, get gasoline and something to eat, and buy souvenirs. They enjoyed a "heyday." But I looked on Stuckeys.Com to see where the remaining ones still stand. On that 880-mile stretch of IH-10 in Texas there are only three: the previously-mentioned one between Anahuac and Winnie and two near each other in El Paso. My belief is that they've been replaced by Cracker Barrel restaurants.

It surprised me that at the beginning of this topic no one seemed to figure out the association of the term "Savage" and Indians. In those days the term savage was used very often in movies and television in describing Indian tribes. Yes, today it sounds terrible but lets be realistic this is where the owner got the idea. These were the days when such language was totally acceptable. (still hear on old TV reruns)

Most eateries had a theme in the area so it was bound to happen. The phrase "savage style" was only meant as a cute name for the dish in reference. Like when you go to restaurants now-a-days and order the "Meat-lovers style" or "Sailors platter". That simple. :)

• 3 weeks later...
57tbird is right, after consulting my references again, mom said,"oh yeah !, there were some indians on that roof, I forgot." she also went on to say how the fire looked like what 57tbird described. That place was apparently very popular. Hey,57tbird, which was delicious, the BEER or the Oysters, or Both !? :lol:

Yeah, I rememer all of this as well ... heap big Indians up there! I think a lot of the lighting was via neon ... seem to remember a lot of neon up there.

Bill Williams was also a big Fat Stock Show supporter and had at least one fully stuffed grand champion steer in his lobby ... a taxidermist's dream job probably. I seem to remember going there at least once as late as 1970 or 1971.

I was in awe of that place when I was a kid. We only ever went to the Main St location ... didn't know about others.

I was telling a friend how these old Houston threads are a cure for dead brain cells ...

No way i would remember that place without the picture.

I don't specifically remember the buffalo but I do remember the round fronted building

... this was like memory jab. Wow.

thefensk

Martha and H2B are correct. There were 3D injun savages cookin up Savage Fried Chicken on the roof.

Do either of you remember the buffalo on the Town House at Waugh and Allen Parkway?

townhouse1.jpg

townhouse2.jpg

B)

• 4 months later...

I have searched the past posts, but I can't find where anyone posted a picture of the Indians atop the Bill Williams restaurant on Main Street. If someone has one, would they please post it?

I don't want to get too excited, but I think I may have found one of the Indians while on an outing this weekend. He was kneeling on one knee, and he had his hand in a position where he would have been holding a stick (over the fire?), and a hole in the extended hand that would have held a pole or large stick.

Does this guy look familiar? He is about 6-7

Edited by Heights2Bastrop