Sign in to follow this  
trymahjong

Old LULAC clubhouse will be restored

Went to the celebration ceremony of old LULAC clubhouse at Bagby and Anita. American Express donated a little over 100k 5o kickstart the renovations. I love it when little bits of Houston History are saved.

• Like 4

is that the old stucco house on bagby that has the historic plaque? Can someone tell me what the Lulac clubhouse is / was?

6 hours ago, Avossos said:

is that the old stucco house on bagby that has the historic plaque? Can someone tell me what the Lulac clubhouse is / was?

From what I read, it was a meeting place for many Mexican-Americans during the Civil Right Movement. Pretty awesome. 

THere were lots of oldtymers there and many stories of popcorn machines, pool tables and insight family events.

As a side note— I am glad the house is being saved, if the house was built in 1907, the same year Avondale was platted, it would make it one of the oldest structures within Avondale. It is a shame that historic properties can’t be added to adjoining historic districts, Historic Avondale East boundary stops at Baldwin street. I’m not sure but being inside an Historic district and renovating the property used to 8nclude tax benefits.

38 minutes ago, trymahjong said:

THere were lots of oldtymers there and many stories of popcorn machines, pool tables and insight family events.

As a side note— I am glad the house is being saved, if the house was built in 1907, the same year Avondale was platted, it would make it one of the oldest structures within Avondale. It is a shame that historic properties can’t be added to adjoining historic districts, Historic Avondale East boundary stops at Baldwin street. I’m not sure but being inside an Historic district and renovating the property used to 8nclude tax benefits.

You can now add adjacent / contiguous properties to existing historic districts. It is rather easy.

46 minutes ago, trymahjong said:

When did that happen? Recently? Do you have more information?

PM me. I have been working on plans for OSW. and it happened about a year ago. Pretty exciting.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Avossos said:

You can now add adjacent / contiguous properties to existing historic districts. It is rather easy.

That's just sad. We have too many historic districts that screwed people who owned property in them already. I guess that the added properties at least have a choice, unlike the previous situation, where unwilling property owners were forced, against their will, into historic districts.

1 hour ago, Ross said:

That's just sad. We have too many historic districts that screwed people who owned property in them already. I guess that the added properties at least have a choice, unlike the previous situation, where unwilling property owners were forced, against their will, into historic districts.

ALL historic districts required over 2/3rds vote in favor to be created... Which means the people you’re crying for were in the minority. 67% present had to respond YES.

I think it would be in your best interest to familiarize yourself with the code. Growing historic districts is an amazing opportunity that is a win win for the home owners, the districts, and the entire community.

If you need more information, please contact our Historic Preservation Office. They will help you with facts.

• Like 1

I talked to the chair of LULAC

bids are being sought to stabilize the property. The building has leakage problems.