Ginger Man West At 160 West Gray St.

mattyt36

Wow. When I first read this, I assumed it was going to be a second location, even though it did seem a bit odd to have two inner-loop locations within reasonable proximity to each other. Words cannot express how much it sucks that the Village location is closing. You simply can't replicate the history that place has elsewhere. Everyone that enjoys craft beer in Houston today should genuflect in the direction of Morningside Drive, because the G-Man enabled the craft beer movement here thirty-plus years ago, long before "craft beer" entered the popular lexicon. 

The Swamplot piece is pretty vague, but I'd like to know whether this was a voluntary move on the part of the owners, or if their hand was forced after "an entity connected to Braun" bought the property.

it would be really surprising to see the original location close shop... i rarely go but it has a very loyal following and is exactly the type of tenant that makes the village so unique and such a draw. closing the original location would be a damn shame so hopefully that isn't true.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Haha. The visuals so far are all over the place. This gives me I-wanna-be-Present Company-and-Eleric FeelGood-so-bad kind of vibes.  Maybe it will come together when it's completed.

All for the gram...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2019 at 6:43 PM, mattyt36 said:

I guess the renderings disappeared with C&G ... can anyone remind me what this is to be called? They have been working on it and have a now hiring sign out front.

It did. I was able to save a cache of the page before all my posts to this thread were removed. Give me a few to reup everything. 

Originally posted September 9, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. An archive link to the entire thread until October 3 or 4 is here.

The Ginger Man closed its Montrose location October 2018. This was located at 160 W Gray St in the Fourth Ward neighborhood of Houston.

From Eater Houston:

Just about eight months after opening on West Gray Street, the Ginger Man will shutter its Fourth Ward outpost.

The closing announcement was posted to the beer hall’s Facebook page, which stated that the Midtown (technically Fourth Ward) outpost didn’t get the sales it “expected” and will relinquish the venue to “a food operator more suited to the location.” No word yet on who will take over the space.

When the Ginger Man debuted this outpost in the former Junction Bar & Grill space in February, it touted an expanded menu including a robust food program and liquor for the first time. This location not only had a full-service kitchen to accommodate a larger menu, but several patios, one of which was a rooftop deck that offered views of the Houston skyline.

https://houston.eater.com/2018/10/17/17990432/ginger-man-fourth-ward-gray-street-closed

Photos of the Ginger Man in the Fourth Ward

From Facebook:

CuaaDGM.jpg

From Google Street View, November 2018

5q5ftzY.jpg

awacXD1.jpg

Originally posted September 9, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. An archive link to the entire thread until October 3 or 4 is here.

An update on the lot at 160 W Gray St in the Fourth Ward. A new business is opening on the Montrose lot. 

Lost & Found is moving into the building that was the Ginger Man. It will be a bar & grill restaurant.

Originally posted September 9, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. An archive link to the entire thread until October 3 or 4 is here.

Here are renderings of Lost & Found. This is the bar & grill restaurant opening in the Fourth Ward. It will be located at 160 W Gray St in the Montrose area of Houston.

The renderings are from Lost & Found on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/Lost-Found-Houston-101558901216205

Going by the renderings, the current building may be demolished or renovated. It looks like there will be a new two-story build with an upstairs rooftop patio.

Wy8czKM.jpg

Upstairs
fwMQNLk.jpg

Originally posted September 24, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. An archive link to the entire thread until October 3 or 4 is here.

Lost & Found is a bar & grill restaurant opening in the Fourth Ward. It will be located at 160 W Gray St in the Montrose area of Houston.

I don't know who owns this. It could be a group of party / club promoters called AristocratLife or Aristocrat Life. They're known for promoting or hosting parties targeting African-Americans since the early or mid 2000's.

KH9OD3r.jpg

Originally posted September 24, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. An archive link to the entire thread until October 3 or 4 is here.

More renderings of Lost & Found. This is the bar & grill restaurant opening in the Fourth Ward. It will be located at 160 W Gray St in the Montrose area of Houston.

The renderings are from Lost & Found on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/lostandfoundmidtown/

gwiNhqs.jpg

Possibly the first floor

uyJG8H7.jpg

Either the first or second floor:

Of2ONbj.jpg

Second floor

qtF7rTu.jpg

1chUAbH.jpg

pSibaQK.jpg

A 3-D video walk-through of Lost & Found.

This is the bar & grill restaurant opening in the Fourth Ward. It will be located at 160 W Gray St in the Montrose area of Houston.

Video is from Instagram:

Direct link (url signature will expire in 24 hours making the link useless): https://instagram.fhou1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t50.2886-16/69439956_172479483793374_7056272538515433558_n.mp4?_nc_ht=instagram.fhou1-1.fna.fbcdn.net&_nc_cat=106&oe=5D8C55FA&oh=701373368ab4cd5661d5684ad3bb95a3

Instagram post with video: https://www.instagram.com/p/B1Yum_LA4aD/

Originally posted October 5, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. An archive link to the entire thread until October 3 or 4 is here.

On 9/24/2019 at 9:48 AM, Naviguessor said:

I thought I'd lost my zebra forever.  Thanks G&G.   

Haha. The visuals so far are all over the place. This gives me I-wanna-be-Present Company-and-Electric FeelGood-so-bad kind of vibes.  Maybe it will come together when it's completed.

Originally posted October 5, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. An archive link to the entire thread until October 3 or 4 is here.

On 10/5/2019 at 2:55 PM, BeerNut said:

All for the gram...

giphy.gif
😄😄

Yesterday, Lost & Found announced it's opening Fall 2019 on Instagram.

This is the bar & grill restaurant moving into The Ginger Man's closed location in the Fourth Ward. It will be located at 160 W Gray St in the Montrose area of Houston.

I don't think this will open by the end of the year. But if someone like the current resident in the White House can become head of state, then I suppose anything is possible.

200.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if District One Inc.  ( group behind Playhaus HTX and Space, the club in the former  Rich's building in Midtown) is involved with Lost & Found?

I'm beginning to think they are. And if they aren't, the group had a hand in the design.

Since early October, the photos I've seen  of this bar on Instagram Stories aren't half bad. The photos I've seen of the space don't look as cheaply done as Playhaus HTX. I don't know if it's on the level as Present Company appearance-wise, but the mock ups/renderings posted don't do the space any justice. I don't know if the interior is 100% completed. But it's possible this could open before year's end or January 2020.

A domain was purchased for the bar in late August and the website went live in September, I think. There weren't any details on the website. It looks as if this place was hoping to open around Labor Day weekend.

http://lostandfoundmidtown.com/ (Archive of cached page)

22 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Does anyone know if District One Inc.  ( group behind Playhaus HTX and Space, the club in the former  Rich's building in Midtown) is involved with Lost & Found?

I'm beginning to think they are. And if they aren't, the group had a hand in the design.

Since early October, the photos I've seen  of this bar on Instagram Stories aren't half bad. The photos I've seen of the space don't look as cheaply done as Playhaus HTX. I don't know if it's on the level as Present Company appearance-wise, but the mock ups/renderings posted don't do the space any justice. I don't know if the interior is 100% completed. But it's possible this could open before year's end or January 2020.

A domain was purchased for the bar in late August and the website went live in September, I think. There weren't any details on the website. It looks as if this place was hoping to open around Labor Day weekend.

http://lostandfoundmidtown.com/ (Archive of cached page)

I met the guy the other day. Apparently it is from the owners of Prospect Park, at least that is what he told me.

On 10/26/2019 at 6:47 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Lost & Found is a bar & grill restaurant opening in the Fourth Ward. It will be located at 160 W Gray St in the Montrose area of Houston.

I don't know who owns this. It could be a group of party / club promoters called AristocratLife or Aristocrat Life. They're known for promoting or hosting parties targeting African-Americans since the early or mid 2000's.

On 11/14/2019 at 7:45 AM, DrLan34 said:

I met the guy the other day. Apparently it is from the owners of Prospect Park, at least that is what he told me.

Thanks, @DrLan34. That was my initial guess.

Aristocrat Life is a  Steve Rogers brand or brand he was involved with (still may be). It's the name / hospitality brand he and other club promoters have used for years hosting parties or specific nights targeting African Americans at clubs. Steve Rogers also owns and operates (or at least did at first, not sure if he's still involved) Prospect Park sports bar. He also co-owns the Turkey Leg Hut (and their other ventures), and I think he used to own Live Oak or whatever the bar was in the Third Ward strip center on Southmore near Denny's. 

I was under the impression Rogers wasn't involved with this, but is busy with the Daiquiri Hutt next door to the Turkey Leg Hut in Third Ward ( on the Museum District side) and  the revamp of Bar 5015. Lost & Found is more Aristocrat Life, I think. Or maybe it's both. Who knows.

I still stand by my assumption of this being a less-than-stellar clone of Present Company (to be fair,  Present Company, probably copied their look from some place else) .However, this may not bring in the same kind of crowd as Present Company, but it will do well with their African American base. 

Although I need to see more videos and photos of Lost & Found's progress,  the renovations will be an improvement over the Ginger Man and the Junction's aesthetic. I'm glad they took on the challenge of rehabbing the building instead of tearing it down and starting from scratch.

If I'm feeling up to it, I may swing by and snap a few photos this weekend.

• The title was changed to 160 West Gray/Ginger Man West?
  • The title was changed to Ginger Man West At 160 West Gray St.

Archived