Sign in to follow this  
Twitter1

Writing Utensils (Pens, Pencils, etc.)

I'm not sure if there is already an active pen/pencil thread. Please merge if so.

Anybody else collect fine pencils or pens? What are your favorites?

Bought a Pentel Graphgear 1000 and 500 this weekend.  Prefer the 1000 to the 500.  Feels a lot better in my hand.

I have a few fountain pens that used to see daily use in the workplace - a Pelikan M605 and a couple of entry-level Watermans that always performed very well despite their comparatively low price. I also have a 1940s-vintage Sheaffer Balance that had been restored by its previous owner and got more sparing use. I have had (and still have) an interest in acquiring a few more vintage pens, but as an incurable collector, other competing demands have taken precedence. 

These days, I most often reach for a cheap Uni-Ball gel pen when I'm making quick notes, but if you have to write in longhand at length, nothing compares to a fountain pen. If you've never tried one, you will be amazed at how much easier it is to write with compared to a ballpoint, once you've adjusted your frame of reference - you barely have to touch the nib to the paper, with practically no pressure compared to a ballpoint, and as a result your hand is far more relaxed.

Fountain pens are certainly a lot more fiddly in terms of operation and maintenance, and writing in longhand is in general not nearly as common as it used to be, but I'm kinda surprised they have yet to experience a renaissance among hipsters. And for the environmentally-conscious, they have a clear advantage over disposable plastic ballpoints. 

• Like 1

I'd like to buy my first fountain pen. Don't need a luxury $300 pen, but something to start. Believe the Pilots and others are $30 - $60.

They're so pretty! Well.. the array of color inks you can get. Classy writing :ph34r:

Cursive writing (especially when done with a fountain or dip pen) is so much more expressive than any font.
My understanding is that it's no longer taught in schools; good to know that others haven't abandoned it.

19 hours ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

I'd like to buy my first fountain pen. Don't need a luxury $300 pen, but something to start. Believe the Pilots and others are $30 - $60.

They're so pretty! Well.. the array of color inks you can get. Classy writing :ph34r:

My usual recommendation for a first fountain pen would have been a Waterman Phileas, but they appear to have been discontinued. You can still find them on eBay but you may have to be patient and lowball a few bids to avoid paying too much for one, as the prices have definitely gone up since they're no longer made by the factory. They used to be available for $20-30 or so when Waterman was still making them, and they also came in sets for people new to FPs which contained several cartridges, a converter, and a bottle of ink in addition to the pen itself. This one would be a good buy:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Paris-France-WATERMAN-PHILEAS-Fountain-marble-blue-Pen-set-new-unused-in-box-w-p/263764213806

A Phileas with a medium nib is a great pen for daily use, and will outperform many other far more expensive pens. 

Edit: Here's a great overview of the Phileas:

https://fromthepencup.wordpress.com/2015/02/24/a-pen-with-personality-the-waterman-phileas-fountain-pen/

Edited by mkultra25

^ Thanks.

Coworker and I were talking pens and he ended up giving me a Pilot Varsity. I'm liking it a lot.

yFa6K54.jpg

Thought about buying my boss some pens but don’t want to make a mistake. He’s a fast writer so buying too thin might be bad.

Ordered some Uni Signo 151s in 0.7mm today. Smooth pen!  The .38s are so fine it’s hard to write fast with. Figured I’d try out the larger nib for a more smooth write