Jump to content
Dakota79

Midtown Sears to Become Houston's Innovation District

Recommended Posts

Innovation is a great thing. I'd be interested to see the track record of enterprises established expressly to innovate without particular specificity outside of an academic setting. I suppose Rice is in a good spot to help this along as I see this as the role of research universities, but who identifies which people/projects/research get a cut of whatever resources are dedicated to and managed by a quasi-public "innovation district"?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The point is to locate it on a prime piece of land to attract people to it

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

20 hours ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

I worry about Houston's ability to Innovate. We are very good with production and profit making enterprises. Taking ideas from other locations and making them profitable. 

 

People will point to O&G innovation but a lot of that is driven from Licensors located in Chicago, Germany, Italy and other overseas locations. I dont know enough about medical to say if this is really the location for innovation or if there are other places in the country that do more. We should never stop encouraging innovation but I dont think a high priced innovation coordinator is the answer. The more natural progression that is happening on the East End seems like the better option. 

A managed district is almost necessary if you want to reach a certain level of potential. Houston has so much talent but nowhere to officially put it. This city has focused so much on production and profit making for so long, that's why it's not easy to see this city becoming an innovative city. That's why we need an area dedicated to innovation. Houston can't become what we want it to become until it decides to take that next step as a city. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly cspawl.  Easily accessible to Public Trans.  If Some form of the University Line ever opens up, then it will be the most well connect place in the city, and directly accessible to almost all Major Colleges and Universities.  Not to mention easily accessible to nightlife and entertainment options as well has a myriad of new housing options.  These features will see to the demographic that the city is looking to entice and lure.  The perfect spot. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cspwal said:

The point is to locate it on a prime piece of land to attract people to it

 

Would an innovation center located, say, on the next block between Fannin and San Jacinto be less attractive than one located between Main and Fannin? Are people looking to get their start-up off the ground going to snub their nose if this is a block off Main?

 

Main St. is an emerging high-rise/GFR corridor. Unless they are reusing the existing building for the innovation center, I would think they would put it on one of the other blocks where land is worth half as much. Then hold the block fronting Main for 5 years or so until the market is ready for a high-rise there.

 

Edited by H-Town Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that I think about it, this is most likely an interim use. In 10 years when the freeway is sunk and the homeless can't live under it anymore, the land will be worth more than gold. Until then, let the innovation district occupy the existing building.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Triton said:

Reading these comments makes me realize people don't quite understand what this project is. As I said earlier, I go to a lot of these innovative incubators in Houston.... most of these are full of startups working on cutting edge technology. These aren't just some random software engineers looking for grants or looking for some ideas.... these are actual entities with a goal in mind and are actively looking for investors to fund their ideas. Houston certainly does have an innovative spirit especially since UofH is pumping out a lot of good software developers... Not sure what natural progression on the East Side meant from a comment earlier but a lot of these startups are having to use home offices to create the next big thing. Instead they can go to places like The Station Houston, RED Labs, The Cannon (Absolutely MASSIVE), etc.... this tech wave is still in its infancy but I think a district like this can really make Houston the next hot spot for tech startups. A lot of those places I mentioned earlier are swamped already so to have an entire district to start this up would be amazing.

 

Next, this isn't just for startups. Apple, Microsoft, Oracle, and many many other established tech companies send in their own people to work these incubators... to present their own thoughts, to push these ideas to reality where they may even buy them and allow these people to work remotely from Houston.. I mean, the list just goes on and on with the list of possibilities.

 

 

I'm telling you, these places are really exciting if anyone has ever been to one. If Houston can get this, along with the medical research campus and keep expanding our aerospace industry, I think Houston has a very bright future no matter what happens to the oil industry. 

 

It does sound interesting,  I do still wonder who gets to choose who benefits from the subsidized real estate that they couldn't otherwise afford. 

 

Or perhaps I'm misreading it and its more of a co-op situation where they all share the costs, but no one else has made such an arrangement (or at least not enough)commercially viable privately. In any case, there still needs to be a gatekeeper. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the clarification, Triton.
How many square feet of office space would be needed to make this operation viable? Obviously new structures would need  to be built. 
I'm still hoping consideration is given to adapting the existing Sear's building;. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, dbigtex56 said:

Thanks for the clarification, Triton.
How many square feet of office space would be needed to make this operation viable? Obviously new structures would need  to be built. 
I'm still hoping consideration is given to adapting the existing Sear's building;. 

 

Considering that they looked at the 5,370 SF former Surge Ventures building on West Gray before choosing this site, it is not entirely clear that they plan on building new structures. Building new space costs much more than adapting existing space, with a much higher tax burden to go along.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Nate99 said:

 

Or perhaps I'm misreading it and its more of a co-op situation where they all share the costs, but no one else has made such an arrangement (or at least not enough)commercially viable privately. In any case, there still needs to be a gatekeeper. 

 

It's a mixture of both really. Some startups pay for their own rooms, especially when they are further along and they need to keep their discussions more private. Others just find a chair and start coding... But you still pay in the cost. There's nothing subsidized... these are just to get projects off the ground until they're viable enough to get their own office space. We are talking like maybe 2 or 3 people starting a project, something that is pretty common in the software development field. These places provide a more professional space especially for investors to come in... as opposed to working on the projects at their homes.

 

For example at the Station Houston, I know there's a startup developing facial recognition technology that checks users into venues without the need for RFID or iBeacon technology. So they've developed the product and they're currently marketing their project to major event companies and if it catches on, then they'll grow their staff and buy their own office space.

 

Again, this is an incubator. Some of the projects will be successes and some will be failures. Either way, these incubators provide the space that these startups require.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The location of this is perfect..... it's connected to public transportation and to our best universities/research (Rice, TMC, UH) not to mention UHD and HCC. Also, I think putting this close to where our cultural centers are, between the Museum District/Herman Park and downtown's performing arts and hotels, is very shrewd. Fingers crossed, some form of the University Line gets built which would only increase the connectedness. 

Edited by kdog08
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It certainly going to enhance Main St  which is already getting quite an enhancement. Especially a dilapidated area. This is certainly good.

 

What I do not understand is how do areas like the TMC play any role in this?  Beside patient care , Biomedical research is a large focus at the Med Center not software research. I understand the brain and creativity concentration in the area with downtown, Med Center, Museums, Rice University and on and on I just don't understand how they connect. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Twinsanity02 said:

It certainly going to enhance Main St  which is already getting quite an enhancement. Especially a dilapidated area. This is certainly good.

 

What I do not understand is how do areas like the TMC play any role in this?  Beside patient care , Biomedical research is a large focus at the Med Center not software research. I understand the brain and creativity concentration in the area with downtown, Med Center, Museums, Rice University and on and on I just don't understand how they connect. 

It's basically just about establishing diversified tech in the industries Houston is strong in. As well as creating a culture for creatives, which this city desperately needs. One strong example is the overwhelming support the Houston Outlaws (our eSports team) received by many young tech savvy Houstonians. Many of which have wanted to explore other cities such as LA or NY because their interests are there. If we can keep even a fraction of those people here in Houston, to help our city grow and develop, then we're in for some great change. You have to cover all bases of tech in order to keep talent here in Houston.

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, kdog08 said:

The location of this is perfect..... it's connected to public transportation and to our best universities/research (Rice, TMC, UH) not to mention UHD and HCC. Also, I think putting this close to where our cultural centers are, between the Museum District/Herman Park and downtown's performing arts and hotels, is very shrewd. Fingers crossed, some form of the University Line gets built which would only increase the connectedness. 

 

 

It's a good opportunity to extend the area exempt from parking minimums all the way to 59.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2018 at 8:58 PM, Twinsanity02 said:

It certainly going to enhance Main St  which is already getting quite an enhancement. Especially a dilapidated area. This is certainly good.

 

What I do not understand is how do areas like the TMC play any role in this?  Beside patient care , Biomedical research is a large focus at the Med Center not software research. I understand the brain and creativity concentration in the area with downtown, Med Center, Museums, Rice University and on and on I just don't understand how they connect. 

Some research projects require a ton of software development for simulations, data gathering, etc. Having more developers available is a benefit to research.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2018 at 8:58 PM, Twinsanity02 said:

It certainly going to enhance Main St  which is already getting quite an enhancement. Especially a dilapidated area. This is certainly good.

 

What I do not understand is how do areas like the TMC play any role in this?  Beside patient care , Biomedical research is a large focus at the Med Center not software research. I understand the brain and creativity concentration in the area with downtown, Med Center, Museums, Rice University and on and on I just don't understand how they connect. 

 

I don't think there is any reason at all to think this is targeted solely at software innovation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

 

I don't think there is any reason at all to think this is targeted solely at software innovation.

 Would think that software innovation may be ancillary to the bulk of the work.  I would think that much of the work will be focused on traditional energy and sustainable energy as well as medical and health.  I further suspect (and hope) that there be robust outliers to this “core”.  But, if someone really wanted to found the “next big thing” in software, they will head to the Valley,

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:40 PM, H-Town Man said:

 

Considering that they looked at the 5,370 SF former Surge Ventures building on West Gray before choosing this site, it is not entirely clear that they plan on building new structures. Building new space costs much more than adapting existing space, with a much higher tax burden to go along.

 

As a "district", I assume that the area will contain considerably more than 5,370 SF of space.
I hope the existing Sears building can be adapted into office space and included in any master plan.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Press conference happening about the innovation district tomorrow morning.

 

"...to create the innovation district, which will be anchored by a facility on the former Sears property"

 

That sounds like RIP Sears building to me. But, then they talk about giving media tours of the old building which makes me thing they are keeping it.

 

Guess we'll find out tomorrow!

DacGlMeW4AA4qUw.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wilcal said:

Press conference happening about the innovation district tomorrow morning.

 

"...to create the innovation district, which will be anchored by a facility on the former Sears property"

 

That sounds like RIP Sears building to me. But, then they talk about giving media tours of the old building which makes me thing they are keeping it.

 

Guess we'll find out tomorrow!

DacGlMeW4AA4qUw.jpg

 

http://www.khou.com/article/news/local/midtown-sears-building-transforming-to-new-tech-hub/285-537101002

The Sears isn't going anywhere

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, htownproud said:

No doubt young innovators will be drawn to a windowless 1940's building. . . . .

The structure isn't windowless. It's just the cladding on top. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

The structure isn't windowless. It's just the cladding on top. 

 

Yep, there's an art deco construct hidden behind the facade:

1024x1024.jpg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, AnTonY said:

 

Yep, there's an art deco construct hidden behind the facade:

1024x1024.jpg

What a great looking building in it's day !  Maybe they can somewhat restore a bit of the good looking art deco parts and incorporate it into an updated facade ?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ArtNsf said:

What a great looking building in it's day !  Maybe they can somewhat restore a bit of the good looking art deco parts and incorporate it into an updated facade ?

 

Evidently a significant portion of the facade is still there, just covered up. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, wilcal said:

NIce article with some highlights from the announcement:

 

http://news.rice.edu/2018/04/12/historic-midtown-sears-building-to-anchor-houston-innovation-district-2/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SEARS&utm_campaign=Facebook links

 

 

That sounds muy bueno.

 

 

Really good that Station Houston is going to be the operator in my uneducated opinion.

 

 

Two years, as reported before, would be awesome. Keeping the art deco aspect would fantastic. 

 

This is looking to be an A++++ situation.

I couldn't agree more! I didn't know Station Houston was moving in! This might be the biggest announcement of the year already. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Video of press conference: 

 

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/local/2018/04/12/278818/watch-live-houston-mayor-and-rice-university-president-announce-new-houston-innovation-hub/

 

Bill Mckeon with TMC talks about how the city is on fire and that a number of things are going to happen this year.  I get the sense that TMC3 is delaying its announcement as to not take away from the Midtown Sears announcement, but is coming in the next several weeks. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Texasota said:

Now I'm just suspicious. This all sounds too good. 

 

No, it's incredibly exciting and, like I said on the previous page, this could be the beginning of the tech revolution in Houston along with the TMC3 and the aerospace industry (is the Ellington Field expansion still happening?). A lot of the computer science group pages on Facebook are rejoicing this is coming and it's started quite a lot of discussion among several startups I know. It might be just one lot in Midtown but this can really springboard Houston's own tech industry not related to O&G.

 

Edit: Oh wow, I hadn't seen this nugget before:

 

Quote

In developing its plans, Rice will work closely with the Greater Houston Partnership, Houston Exponential and Station Houston, which will serve as the incubator and amenity program operator.

 

The Station Houston is the same one I linked to 2 pages back. They're a great incubator that has quite a lot of success stories. Even more exciting seeing that they are involved..they might just leave that floor at 1301 Fannin to move here because it is a little crunched right now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Triton said:

 

No, it's incredibly exciting and, like I said on the previous page, this could be the beginning of the tech revolution in Houston along with the TMC3 and the aerospace industry (is the Ellington Field expansion still happening?). 

 


All I know from occasionally driving on Old Galveston Road is that they are building that massive new air control tower at Ellington Field. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will also help drive demand for Midtown's apartments and breathe energy into the MidMain-area retail. And the image of Midtown seen by passersby on 59 should be enhanced considerably.

 

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So was this done to a good number of buildings back in the day? To hide the art deco artwork? During the 60s and 70s, was art deco considered like an unsightly thing? I realize crime went up during this period but is that why all the windows were removed?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Triton said:

So was this done to a good number of buildings back in the day? To hide the art deco artwork? During the 60s and 70s, was art deco considered like an unsightly thing? I realize crime went up during this period but is that why all the windows were removed?

 

I think after about 1960 or so, any sort of historic detail in a building seemed "old-timey." Yes, crime and (if I remember correctly) a fear of "riots" were the reasons given for bricking up the windows. Basically, the inner city was viewed as a toilet and the only rationale in running this store was to turn it into a fortress and leave it running as long as it continued to make money.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This happened just after the Martin Luther King assassination, in response to the rioting that occurred in many cities across the country.

They were worried about their large plate glass windows being broken out.

This area wasn't a high crime area. As a matter of fact there was a very popular movie theater on the corner of Main and Richmond called the Delman theater. 

The midtown area was a bohemian area and the first alley theater was down in this area. I used to go with my dad to a music store on Caroline not far from Sears where he would buy cymbals and drumsticks. There was a very popular jewelry store just south of Sears and they had Paul Bosch do advertising for them. It was quite a busy part of town back in the late 50's early sixties. My family was living in an old duplex on Montrose just south of Alabama.

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, bobruss said:

This happened just after the Martin Luther King assassination, in response to the rioting that occurred in many cities across the country.

They were worried about their large plate glass windows being broken out.

This area wasn't a high crime area. As a matter of fact there was a very popular movie theater on the corner of Main and Richmond called the Delman theater. 

The midtown area was a bohemian area and the first alley theater was down in this area. I used to go with my dad to a music store on Caroline not far from Sears where he would buy cymbals and drumsticks. There was a very popular jewelry store just south of Sears and they had Paul Bosch do advertising for them. It was quite a busy part of town back in the late 50's early sixties. My family was living in an old duplex on Montrose just south of Alabama.

 

There is a brief shot of retail storefronts on Main Street near Alabama in Brewster McCloud (1970). I think one was a jewelry store. They looked nice.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bobruss said:

This happened just after the Martin Luther King assassination, in response to the rioting that occurred in many cities across the country.

They were worried about their large plate glass windows being broken out.

This area wasn't a high crime area. As a matter of fact there was a very popular movie theater on the corner of Main and Richmond called the Delman theater. 

The midtown area was a bohemian area and the first alley theater was down in this area. I used to go with my dad to a music store on Caroline not far from Sears where he would buy cymbals and drumsticks. There was a very popular jewelry store just south of Sears and they had Paul Bosch do advertising for them. It was quite a busy part of town back in the late 50's early sixties. My family was living in an old duplex on Montrose just south of Alabama.

Much of your post is likely true.  One point of minor clarification though......(assuming I interpreted your post correctly).... the “race riots” around the country were occurring before the assignation of MLK take one of the most notable: Newark.  It happens a year before MLK was killed, as I recall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ellington will outlive me I think, both locations mentioned in this post have very old relevance to me, for one when I was still pretty young around 5 or 6 I had medical care there at the Field as many other dependents of servicemen did.  At the time my Father was stationed on the USS Los Angeles Heavy Cruiser ported in Long Beach so that is one thing I will forever remember.  The other memory is the old Sears store and after I returned to civilian life after the Army I went to work for Al Parker Buick and I purchased my very first tools at that Sears location because Al Parker service department had a charge account and this was a time your employers looked after veterans and servicemen going out of their way to help you get a foot hold back into your life.  Strange how a few things reconnect when so many others have all but faded and disappeared forever.  I think it is nice both of these places will be around for a very long time and someone else will remember them 65 or more  years later and they might tie a different memory to the both of them.  I don't live in Houston any longer and only get bits and pieces of information now , reading this forum has been very useful and insightful to me.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Much of your post is likely true.  One point of minor clarification though......(assuming I interpreted your post correctly).... the “race riots” around the country were occurring before the assignation of MLK take one of the most notable: Newark.  It happens a year before MLK was killed, as I recall.

Your absolutely right!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2018 at 4:25 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

The structure isn't windowless. It's just the cladding on top. 

 

And the brick in the ground floor windows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

Much of your post is likely true.  One point of minor clarification though......(assuming I interpreted your post correctly).... the “race riots” around the country were occurring before the assignation of MLK take one of the most notable: Newark.  It happens a year before MLK was killed, as I recall.

 

 

This is what I was talking about.

 

The King assassination riots, also known as the Holy Week Uprising,[1] was a wave of civil disturbance which swept the United Statesfollowing the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. on April 4, 1968. It was the greatest wave of social unrest the United States had experienced since the Civil War.[2] Some of the biggest riots took place in Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Chicago, and Kansas City.

Edited by bobruss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...