CrockpotandGravel

Vox Media's Curbed Finally Coming to Houston? Competition for Swamplot?

CrockpotandGravel    4,336

A follow up to this thread:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/28473-houston-curbed-hiring-editors/?tab=comments#comment-429618

There is a website for Curbed in Houston. It's been up and running since the spring. The site is dormant and only seems to be used by Eater Houston to display maps in their guides. Vox Media had plans to expand Curbed, their hyper-local real estate website to Houston several years ago, but nothing ever came of it.

This year, the coverage of Houston real estate and architecture has increased on Curbed's national site. Also there are headline pages for all the Houston neighborhood on Curbed Houston's website (found here).

Does this new website means there is a Curbed Houston website coming soon? I think so. With deeper pockets, how do you think it will stack up to Swamplot's coverage? I don't think their coverage will eclipse Swamplot, at least not at first. But with Curbed being part of a national media company and if they hire someone who can find new projects like Urb, then there is a chance it may.

https://houston.curbed.com/

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 1

Blue Dogs    49
On 12/26/2017 at 8:14 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

A follow up to this thread:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/28473-houston-curbed-hiring-editors/?tab=comments#comment-429618

There is a website for Curbed in Houston. It's been up and running since the spring. The site is dormant and only seems to be used by Eater Houston to display maps in their guides. Vox Media had plans to expand Curbed, their hyper-local real estate website to Houston several years ago, but nothing ever came of it.

This year, the coverage of Houston real estate and architecture has increased on Curbed's national site. Also there are headline pages for all the Houston neighborhood on Curbed Houston's website (found here).

Does this new website means there is a Curbed Houston website coming soon? I think so. With deeper pockets, how do you think it will stack up to Swamplot's coverage? I don't think their coverage will eclipse Swamplot, at least not at first. But with Curbed being part of a national media company and if they hire someone who can find new projects like Urb, then there is a chance it may.

https://houston.curbed.com/

What are the odds of this being successful ?

CrockpotandGravel    4,336
4 minutes ago, Blue Dogs said:

What are the odds of this being successful ?

I think the odds are high. Curbed posts are cross-promoted on Vox Media's Racked, Eater, The Verge, and other sites of theirs if it relates to retail, dining, sports, etc. And posts from the local sites are cross-promoted on Curbed's national website and Facebook.

It will be successful in its own way. Just as there are a load of lifestyle websites, local news websites, local restaurant related websites, there is room for more real estate and similar coverage that Swamplot does well.

mkultra25    605

I'm a lot more likely to interact with a site regularly if they have a solid Twitter presence, and that is one thing that the Vox Media sites do well. Swamplot's Twitter activity has been on-again, off-again in the past couple of years, and they seem to have stopped tweeting their daily roundup of links of interest, something I always found particularly useful. In their defense, they're a much smaller operation than the Curbed family of sites, and I'd certainly rather see a locally-owned site succeed over one with a national footprint.  

IronTiger    805
8 minutes ago, mkultra25 said:

I'm a lot more likely to interact with a site regularly if they have a solid Twitter presence, and that is one thing that the Vox Media sites do well. Swamplot's Twitter activity has been on-again, off-again in the past couple of years, and they seem to have stopped tweeting their daily roundup of links of interest, something I always found particularly useful. In their defense, they're a much smaller operation than the Curbed family of sites, and I'd certainly rather see a locally-owned site succeed over one with a national footprint.  

For a very long time, Swamplot went offline altogether (a very long summer without any posts), and I think during that time I dropped it from my "websites to check regularly" list. Personally, I think Swamplot would be a really formidable competitor if it merged with what is left of Houston Press to make a more complete Houston website, but I don't know.

mkultra25    605

A veritable tweetstorm from Swamplot today, at least in comparison with the recent past. And the roundup of headlines is back! Not sure that the discussion here had anything to do with the resumption of activity, but I'm glad to see it. Thanks, Swamplot!