What Did The Stafford Gringo’s Replace?

SpaceGhost

@SpaceGhost: I looked in HCAD first, but was fruitless because as it turns out, it wasn't in Harris County. From Fort Bend County Appraisal District, it told me that it changed hands around 2002 (and the "Canopy/Slab" was built, indicating the restaurant change) and was built in 1993. The 2002 date explains why it's so hard to find, as it falls before 2005 (generally, and this may change as the years go on, but addresses prior to 2005 get very hard to find prior to that date).

But On The Border WAS correct. I found this Houston Chronicle newspaper bit from 1993.

Hand-to-mouth

The newest On the Border South Texas Cafe, 12330 Southwest Freeway in Stafford, will feature six specially priced menus during the third annual End Hunger Network Food Drive 6:30 a.m.-10 p.m. Friday.

The event is co-hosted by KHMX radio (MIX 96.5). Proceeds from all food sales will be donated to End Hunger, which sponsors various anti-hunger projects including the Red Barrels in grocery stores for donations of nonperishables.

Local sports, media and business personalities will serve as celebrity waiters. Breakfast, starting at 6:30 a.m., is $2.50; lunch and dinner, 11:30 a.m.-10 p.m., are $5 each. Main dishes will include fajitas (beef or chicken), a combo platter, nachos, taco salad and burgers.

And, an article from November 2002 that comes full circle....

Russell Ybarra has opened a fifth Gringos Mexican location at 12330 Southwest Freeway in Stafford. Call 281-980-7482 for hours.

11 minutes ago, IronTiger said:

@SpaceGhost: I looked in HCAD first, but was fruitless because as it turns out, it wasn't in Harris County. From Fort Bend County Appraisal District, it told me that it changed hands around 2002 (and the "Canopy/Slab" was built, indicating the restaurant change) and was built in 1993. The 2002 date explains why it's so hard to find, as it falls before 2005 (generally, and this may change as the years go on, but addresses prior to 2005 get very hard to find prior to that date).

But On The Border WAS correct. I found this Houston Chronicle newspaper bit from 1993.

And, an article from November 2002 that comes full circle....

Nice find thank you!

Its crazy that the two Fort Bend Counth locations were both On the Border locations, especially since they were acquired something like 5 years apart!

• The title was changed to What Did The Stafford Gringo’s Replace?

Archived