Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CrockpotandGravel

403 Westheimer

Recommended Posts

Most recently, 403 Westheimer (at the corner of Taft) was Mango's. And more recently, Biskit Junkie (I'm wrecking my brain to remember the other venues here, but if you know, please share). But from a new-ish listing on Loopnet, Bisket Junkie, with 3 years left on its lease, is either relocating or closing. The 403 Westheimer lot is for lease. The broker is searching for another restaurant. I would prefer if someone redeveloped this entirely. A cool multi-floor boutique retail strip, maybe?

 

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/403-Westheimer-Rd-Houston-TX/10539139/ (archive link)

 

NLziHq2.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Eater last year on Biskit Junkie closing at 403 Westheimer and plans for the property:

 

The breakfast eatery Biskit Junkie and mac n’ cheese joint Jus’ Mac will merge the best of both their worlds under one roof next month.
 

Biskit Junkie is planning to keep operating as-is in Montrose until it joins Jus’ Mac at both of the restaurants locations in Montrose and the Heights. Jus’ Mac will get an updated tagline to reflect the new breakfast offerings and earlier hours, and a complete interior revamp to transform its rustic space to a more breakfast-friendly feel. “It’s going to be brighter and more airy. People want to wake up to something that makes them feel good,” says Patrick Alvarez, who owns both restaurants.
 

Alvarez said the move was partly motivated by foot traffic trends in his eateries. “Our customers at Biskit Junkie tapered off at 12 p.m., where as Jus Mac opens at 12 p.m. It only made sense to entertain the idea of merging the two,” he wrote in a statement.

...As far as Biskit Junkie’s existing space, Alvarez is in talks with a poke restaurant to take over the lease. If that doesn’t happen, he’s planning on moving in his new Mexican breakfast eatery, Maderas. There are also plans to expand the Jus’ Mac brand to River Oaks and Katy next year.



https://houston.eater.com/2017/12/14/16776962/jus-mac-and-biskit-junkie-unite-comfort-foods-under-one-roof

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2018 at 9:25 PM, hindesky said:

Exterior paint job and signage is done. Is this a chain or a local project?

4chkitG.jpg

I like it! The only thing I wish is that someone would repave that parking lot. Looks like a lake after it rains.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Padna's closed in Montrose Houston, 403 Westheimer.


From Facebook:

It’s a sad day Padnas! Today we announced that we officially closed our doors. Thanks to all of you loyal supporters, hard working staff, and supportive family that have been here with us! We love you all and appreciate each and every one of you!

It is with a heavy heart that we are announcing Padna's has officially closed its doors. We would like to thank all of our loyal guests and new friends for your patronage and support. We have enjoyed sharing special moments with all of you over the last year and truly appreciate each and every one of you.




Why hasn't anything been able to stick here in the last years? What should be done with this property to make it work in the neighborhood? I think something vertical can work in this tight space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Padna's closed in Montrose Houston, 403 Westheimer.


From Facebook:

It’s a sad day Padnas! Today we announced that we officially closed our doors. Thanks to all of you loyal supporters, hard working staff, and supportive family that have been here with us! We love you all and appreciate each and every one of you!

It is with a heavy heart that we are announcing Padna's has officially closed its doors. We would like to thank all of our loyal guests and new friends for your patronage and support. We have enjoyed sharing special moments with all of you over the last year and truly appreciate each and every one of you.




Why hasn't anything been able to stick here in the last years? What should be done with this property to make it work in the neighborhood? I think something vertical can work in this tight space.

 

With all the turnover, sounds like they just need to tear down the property and raise something new.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CaptainJilliams said:

With all the turnover, sounds like they just need to tear down the property and raise something new.



I agree. I think something vertical could work here, if the neighborhood doesn't have height restrictions imposed for that portion on Westheimer.

Maybe a co-working space? Or a bodega? Or some kind of creative space.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:



I agree. I think something vertical could work here, if the neighborhood doesn't have height restrictions imposed for that portion on Westheimer.

Maybe a co-working space? Or a bodega? Or some kind of creative space.

 

The current building just doesn't offer much street presence. Its kinda far back into that lot and on a corner thats easy to pass over. Most of the other buildings around it look somewhat interesting or at least have some street presence. I agree also with @CaptainJilliams . Probably time to switch this building out for something new.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Parking was always hard as well with a very small/tight lot and then the street parking was always a risk with resident/permit parking prevailing etc...

I agree...time for something new with some form of parking included, unless avant garden knocked the building down and took this over for their parking since that is always a total mess as well.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2019 at 9:22 AM, gene said:

Parking was always hard as well with a very small/tight lot and then the street parking was always a risk with resident/permit parking prevailing etc...

I agree...time for something new with some form of parking included, unless avant garden knocked the building down and took this over for their parking since that is always a total mess as well.  

 

23 hours ago, Texasota said:

Let's please not replace another building on Westheimer with parking. 



Yes. Something new with parking in the back should go here. The corner has potential, it's sad it's being underutilized.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/4/2019 at 9:41 AM, Texasota said:

Let's please not replace another building on Westheimer with parking. 

 

UNLESS it's one of those cool Carvana "lots" haha

Related image

Edited by gene
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a no go on a new take of the property. Another restaurant is replacing Padna's at 403 Westheimer, Montrose Houston.

Wings of Houston is moving in.

Taking bets now this won't last a year. I can't imagine Montrose residents frequenting a wing joint.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah that seems like exactly the wrong concept for this location. Is there any chance Wings of Houston *isn't* a wings joint?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im not sure any concept'll work for that space.   The last time it worked was when Robert Ellis was still doing the wednesday country and western sets there and it was one of the last bastions of montrose hipsters at the turn of this decade, but essentially 100% of those people have been priced out and moved to the eastside/eastend, it is too dingy a space and the parking is too much of a hassle to generate any traffic from yuppies or normal adults.   It's best case scenario would actually be to become extra parking/patio for AvantGarden

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

agreed/agreed/agreed to all 3 above! 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tend to think it would work as a coffee shop. By Montrose standards, it's in a little bit of a coffee shop desert. Southside might be a bit too close, but it wouldn't take much to differentiate it I don't think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Texasota said:

I tend to think it would work as a coffee shop. By Montrose standards, it's in a little bit of a coffee shop desert. Southside might be a bit too close, but it wouldn't take much to differentiate it I don't think.

Fix coffee is next door.  Although, their parking lot sucks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, forgot about them. Regardless, something at that scale, particularly something more neighborhood-facing that might not be reliant on people driving in from the Galleria looking for parking would work fine. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...