Jump to content

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, TowerSpotter said:

I have never seen so many angles of Houston in a single video, well done.

Thank you! I plan on getting a lot more with more flattering light in the coming months to compile more...maybe one final compilation after a few installments.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, PeopleAreStrange said:

That's great! I really enjoyed it.

 

Thank you! I appreciate that!  I really enjoyed putting it together!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice! Though I did feel like too many of the shots felt a bit overedited in ways, like the saturation was turned up beyond what was seen in reality.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2017 at 9:29 PM, ZKB9 said:

Probably one of the best aerials of Houston I've ever seen, amazing!

Thank you! I really appreciate that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2017 at 9:41 PM, IronTiger said:

Nice! Though I did feel like too many of the shots felt a bit overedited in ways, like the saturation was turned up beyond what was seen in reality.

Thank you! I did edit the colors from what the camera recorded as it films in a log format that has very flat colors and did try to enhance them some but tried to stay in a somewhat realistic window.  I appreciate the feedback and will continue working on that in future videos!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, brijonmang said:

Thank you! I did edit the colors from what the camera recorded as it films in a log format that has very flat colors and did try to enhance them some but tried to stay in a somewhat realistic window.  I appreciate the feedback and will continue working on that in future videos!

Comparing shots of 2:13 and 2:47 (which show the differences I noted), I think the problem is that especially clouds or other moisture in the air will tend to wash out natural color but there's not a realistic way of adding back color and brightness without making it look like pre-release footage of SimCity 7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is great! Btw I accidentally watched it while listening to "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" (thanks NME's "50 most explosive choruses" playlist) and 100% would recommend.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice. If you ever get a chance to shoot from the east 610 loop area over the ship channel you can see how expansive our skyline looks especially right before sunset. I have tried taking a pick while driving but have not been able to successfully.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2018 at 7:30 AM, corbs315 said:

This is great! Btw I accidentally watched it while listening to "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" (thanks NME's "50 most explosive choruses" playlist) and 100% would recommend.

Haha that was great, thank you for the recommendation!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bumping this again because I finally got around to doing a second edition...stupid work and side jobs...

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Bryan,

 

I'm new to the forum and was looking at some earlier posts you have regarding covered patio construction costs and wanted to know if you have any contacts I could call to get an estimate.   (I maybe could have posted in a different category but new to the forum and interface and just had a quick question so just posted it here for expediancy)  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another great video (I especially liked the nighttime scenes), and I enjoyed your choice of music.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JP624 said:

Hi Bryan,

 

I'm new to the forum and was looking at some earlier posts you have regarding covered patio construction costs and wanted to know if you have any contacts I could call to get an estimate.   (I maybe could have posted in a different category but new to the forum and interface and just had a quick question so just posted it here for expediancy)  Thanks!

 

Hi JP,  I have a couple contacts I can refer to you.  I will send you a direct message shortly so check your messages in case the alert doesn't pop up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jrd said:

Another great video (I especially liked the nighttime scenes), and I enjoyed your choice of music.

 

Thank you! I had a lot of people asking for some night time shots so I made more of an effort to get some the last few months.  It's a little harder getting focus and keeping grain down  because you have to crank the ISO so high, but still not a bad low light camera. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the first night shot was sweet

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took me a while to get my stuff together but I have a new version of the Houston Aerials series! All of these videos are from the last 10 months or so.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 12/31/2017 at 10:43 AM, IronTiger said:

Comparing shots of 2:13 and 2:47 (which show the differences I noted), I think the problem is that especially clouds or other moisture in the air will tend to wash out natural color but there's not a realistic way of adding back color and brightness without making it look like pre-release footage of SimCity 7.

Your a nit picker, can't say anything nice about this persons work. I for one am very impressed with this guy's work. I would like to see one that starts in River Oaks and flies south down Kirby all the way to S. Main St., then head out toward the old South Main Drive In. That was on the corner of Stella Link and Main.

Edited by blue92
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, brijonmang said:

Took me a while to get my stuff together but I have a new version of the Houston Aerials series! All of these videos are from the last 10 months or so.

 

 

 

Cool shots. Watched without sound and in my head I kept wanting to insert a "trailer voice" into it. "In a world". These would make some great establishing shots in a film.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blue92 said:

Your a nit picker, can't say anything nice about this persons work. I for one am very impressed with this guy's work. I would like to see one that starts in River Oaks and flies south down Kirby all the way to S. Main St., then head out toward the old South Main Drive In. That was on the corner of Stella Link and Main.

I appreciate that, @blue92.  It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea but I enjoy it and I hope it shows some people that only hear negative things about how Houston is that we actually do have a nice city that has it's own kind of beauty.

 

That sounds like a great route but I'd need a helicopter for that kind of run haha.  You have any connections??

1 hour ago, Luminare said:

 

Cool shots. Watched without sound and in my head I kept wanting to insert a "trailer voice" into it. "In a world". These would make some great establishing shots in a film.

 

Thanks man! I need to work on cinematography and then maybe I could put something together that showcases the city from above and from a more human level.  Then maybe I can pony up for Morgan Freeman to do some voice over action.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blue92 said:

Your a nit picker, can't say anything nice about this persons work. I for one am very impressed with this guy's work. I would like to see one that starts in River Oaks and flies south down Kirby all the way to S. Main St., then head out toward the old South Main Drive In. That was on the corner of Stella Link and Main.

 

I agree with @brijonmang on this. Probably would have been better to come out with some good things and then hit with the criticism (which is how I've been taught is best to give constructive criticism), but it seemed like legit critiques. I heard my boss once say "its very hard to legislate taste" and this is true. While there are definitely best ways to approach things and there are things that universally are believed to be good, correct, or beautiful that doesn't mean it will hit home with 100% everyone. We also have to remember that at a base level we as humans are wired more to spot things that are wrong than when things are going right. Even the best of us can not do great work, or can do better work. Brijonmang approached this the way I would as well which is to embrace the crit and see what can be done about it.  

 

5 minutes ago, brijonmang said:

I appreciate that, @blue92.  It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea but I enjoy it and I hope it shows some people that only hear negative things about how Houston is that we actually do have a nice city that has it's own kind of beauty.

 

That sounds like a great route but I'd need a helicopter for that kind of run haha.  You have any connections??

Thanks man! I need to work on cinematography and then maybe I could put something together that showcases the city from above and from a more human level.  Then maybe I can pony up for Morgan Freeman to do some voice over action.

 

Here is a fun vid I watched once. Its called "MiniLook Berlin" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fps2TvDBen0

 

Yeah its a very particular kind of cinematography, but what really makes it work is the story at play. Thats why I'm interested in drones because it has an opportunity to tell a unique story like this guy did with the miniature camera trick. I've seen some great photos on your instagram, so you definitely can do the cinematography, but whats the story you want to tell? This city could be full of great ones! Thats why I said they would be great for establishing shots. They are that good, but it just needs a story to go with it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Luminare said:

 

I agree with @brijonmang on this. Probably would have been better to come out with some good things and then hit with the criticism (which is how I've been taught is best to give constructive criticism), but it seemed like legit critiques. I heard my boss once say "its very hard to legislate taste" and this is true. While there are definitely best ways to approach things and there are things that universally are believed to be good, correct, or beautiful that doesn't mean it will hit home with 100% everyone. We also have to remember that at a base level we as humans are wired more to spot things that are wrong than when things are going right. Even the best of us can not do great work, or can do better work. Brijonmang approached this the way I would as well which is to embrace the crit and see what can be done about it.  

 

 

Here is a fun vid I watched once. Its called "MiniLook Berlin" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fps2TvDBen0

 

Yeah its a very particular kind of cinematography, but what really makes it work is the story at play. Thats why I'm interested in drones because it has an opportunity to tell a unique story like this guy did with the miniature camera trick. I've seen some great photos on your instagram, so you definitely can do the cinematography, but whats the story you want to tell? This city could be full of great ones! Thats why I said they would be great for establishing shots. They are that good, but it just needs a story to go with it.

 

Wow that is incredible tilt shift camera work and then the audio to match was great.  I am miles away from being able to do anything this good, especially from a video standpoint but I do hope to put a book out covering Houston that would be much more of a story.  As always, just need to find time and more importantly just START haha.

Edited by brijonmang
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

These are great! I appreciate the effort put into this. Thanks for sharing.

 

Thank you, bossman! Glad you enjoyed it.  Obviously I hope to do more in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Luminare said:

 

Yeah its a very particular kind of cinematography

 

It's cute but like other trendy effects, it can get old quickly.

Edited by dbigtex56

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

 

It's cute but like other trendy effects, it can get old quickly.

 

True, but thats why I like this video. The effect is in service to the story being told. Its like you don't notice CG in a good movie because its a good movie. If all that video was about was just the trick then it would get boring after a few moments.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...