Innovation Tower: Mixed-Use High-Rise At 6700 Main St.

Astro

I know there is an existing forum for the Medistar office project, but Wow.  This would have a huge impact.

Houston-based Medistar Corp. is expected to begin construction on its next tower in the Texas Medical Center area around the end of the third quarter of 2019, according to a press release from Houston-based Transwestern.

Transwestern Executive Vice President Justin Brasell and Senior Vice President Lisa Bovermann are handling health care leasing for the project, dubbed Innovation Tower, per the release. 

Plans for the medical tower first emerged in November 2017. However, as expected, much has changed since then.

Phase 1 of Innovation Tower will contain 476,500 square feet of medical and life science office space above a 1,700-vehicle parking garage, per the release. There will also be retail space and a penthouse-level restaurant and lounge. The building is outside the bounds of the Texas Medical Center, which restricts for-profit businesses from operating in nonprofit hospital complexes, Medistar CEO Monzer Hourani told the Houston Business Journal in 2017.

The development of Innovation Tower's second phase will depend on market demands. Phase 2 could include 410 luxury high-rise residential units or additional medical, biomedical and life science office space, per the Transwestern release. 

Eventually, the tower is expected to be 48 stories and 1.6 million square feet, per the release. 

Innovation Tower will be built at 6700 Main St., the site of a SureStay Plus Hotel by Best Western that Medistar bought around 2006 or so, Hourani told HBJ previously. The tower will be connected via a skybridge to Medistar's joint hotel-multifamily development across the street. The Intercontinental Houston Medical Center at 6750 Main St. opened earlier this year, and the attached Greystar apartment development, dubbed Latitude Med Center, at 1850 Old Main St. welcomed its first residents last summer

“Once completed, Innovation Tower will be the first Class AA tower in the Texas Medical Center offering world-class building amenities to create a distinct live/work/play environment,” Transwestern’s Brasell said in the release. “Innovation Tower will be an iconic building and great complement to the Texas Medical Center."

Information about the architecture firm and general contractor were not immediately available.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, AREJAY said:

Chill. I fat fingered the img tag and fixed it a couple seconds later.

Take my internet likes, I don't care. 

Oh ok, no worries. Just one second there was only the rendering I posted and then two so it was really confusing at first. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Avossos said:

I am not sure if I have read this correctly... Are there phases to the tower? Will the 48 story tower break ground this fall?

My interpretation of the article in the HBJ is that the initial phase will not be 48 floors, and it sounds like they will add height as market conditions warrant, which of course could be never.

Phase 1 of Innovation Tower will contain 476,500 square feet of medical and life science office space above a 1,700-vehicle parking garage, per the release.
The development of Innovation Tower's second phase will depend on market demands. Phase 2 could include 410 luxury high-rise residential units or additional medical, biomedical and life science office space, per the Transwestern release.
Eventually, the tower is expected to be 48 stories and 1.6 million square feet, per the release.

• Like 3

Just now, bobruss said:

The initial phase is open. Its the hotel and high rise apartments and this images are of the phase two which was

promised when they were breaking ground for phase one.

This is huge!

but that's not what they're referring to when they say phase I and II. The initial phase of the development was the hotel and apt tower. Phase I as they are referring to it  here is for a 500,000 SF medical office on top of 1700 parking spaces. Depending on floor plates that's about 19-20 stories of office on top of another 6-8 stories of garage plus a floor of retail. Due to the balconies you can see quite clearly that the residential high-rise units are situated above the office component. 

My guess is they'll wait to see how their office leasing velocity is during pre-development while at the same time gauging the multifamily or condo market and make a determination from there. if they think they can lease 1M SF of office or actually get the preleasing they'll build more office and less residential. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, swtsig said:

but that's not what they're referring to when they say phase I and II. The initial phase of the development was the hotel and apt tower. Phase I as they are referring to it  here is for a 500,000 SF medical office on top of 1700 parking spaces. Depending on floor plates that's about 19-20 stories of office on top of another 6-8 stories of garage plus a floor of retail. Due to the balconies you can see quite clearly that the residential high-rise units are situated above the office component. 

My guess is they'll wait to see how their office leasing velocity is during pre-development while at the same time gauging the multifamily or condo market and make a determination from there. if they think they can lease 1M SF of office or actually get the preleasing they'll build more office and less residential. 

I wouldn't argue with you. My original info was from the foreman on the original building. I stopped by just before they started digging in the ground, and when I asked he elaborated.

He was the one who told me about a 60 + story in the plans.

Always appreciate your insight! 

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 3

I love the greenery setbacks, but the two phase aspect of the build has me worried that it will be quite some time before we ever see the finished product. When the economy finally tanks, a lot of these projects that still haven't gotten out of the ground will end up getting shelved.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cloud713 said:

I love the greenery setbacks, but the two phase aspect of the build has me worried that it will be quite some time before we ever see the finished product. When the economy finally tanks, a lot of these projects that still haven't gotten out of the ground will end up getting shelved.

medical field is recession proof.  It'll come up before you know it

Yeah they have options here. The rendering depicts apartments as Phase II but if the multifamily market tanks they could go medical office, which means the building will end up being even taller (office levels are usually higher than apartment levels). Though I would prefer it to be multifamily due to it being in the core of TMC.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Now thats a website...although they might want to make some corrections:

AcuTwwe.jpg

If anyone was confused as I am about the site plan its because someone labeled the streets wrong.

Its alright Medistar I got your back.

• Like 4