Innovation Tower: Mixed-Use High-Rise At 6700 Main St.

Astro

1 hour ago, jmitch94 said:

From what I've heard 50 stories is a threshold where price per floor drastically increases. 

At least in my building, the 51st floor is where the elevator bank for the higher floors is, so I could certainly see increased costs related to elevators (among others).  Don't know if that is universal though.  

• Like 5

23 hours ago, htownproud said:

At least in my building, the 51st floor is where the elevator bank for the higher floors is, so I could certainly see increased costs related to elevators (among others).  Don't know if that is universal though.  

this is my understanding - at or around 50 stories requires another elevator bank which not only adds mechanical costs but also requires additional square footage. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
12 minutes ago, Twinsanity02 said:

I think so. The "shortest" 50 story building in Houston is Three Allen Center at 685 feet. The restaurant on top is going to have some amazing views.

Definitely in the 700' range, this thing is massive compared to everything else. Also 410 apartment units in 1 building just feels insane; I mean wow. 1.6 million square feet is also a massive footprint. 

Edited by TheSirDingle
  • Like 6

17 hours ago, TheSirDingle said:

Definitely in the 700' range, this thing is massive compared to everything else. Also 410 apartment units in 1 building just feels insane; I mean wow. 1.6 million square feet is also a massive footprint. 

Imagine all the packages coming in to that front desk monday after thanksgiving

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

I had a chance to stay at the Intercontinental over the Holidays. The place was packed out and there were a ton of special events/parties hosted over the two weeks I was there. The rooms were very nice and the service was excellent. A huge upgrade to the offerings in the TMC. I also noticed lots of walking activity next door at the apartment tower and most of those folks were in scrubs. I'd imagine demand is there. Hope this proposal rises because the first project knocked it out of the park. This one might just build a new park.

So KincaidAlum, I noticed the Boston location. How long have you been up there? For some reason I thought you lived here. Hope you had a nice holiday.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Another big building is nice, but I wish developers in the TMC area (as well as the rest of Houston) would lean more toward yielding facilities with more attractive designs, especially from a pedestrian's viewpoint.   I am left feeling that the prevailing opinion is that the market here won't support anything better than the bland designs that are utilitarian, but also generally uninviting.

I suppose I'm in the group of people that feels that the motivation to support innovative design in Houston died off after the oil bust of the 80s.  Hines and a few other developers continue to do better-than-average stuff, but that is few and far between.

Edited by ArchFan
  • Like 3

The Intercontinental has two restaurants on the ground floor with doors to Main St and outdoor seating. There's a railing to protect from the street and some decent planting. I thought it was well done. I was there for two weeks with my dog so we walked the area a lot. It is one of the better developments in the TMC. The main problem is it is surrounded on the West side of Main by suburban hotel types that basically just use the street and sidewalks for utilitarian purposes.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

The Intercontinental has two restaurants on the ground floor with doors to Main St and outdoor seating. There's a railing to protect from the street and some decent planting. I thought it was well done. I was there for two weeks with my dog so we walked the area a lot. It is one of the better developments in the TMC. The main problem is it is surrounded on the West side of Main by suburban hotel types that basically just use the street and sidewalks for utilitarian purposes.

That and most of the restaurants/retail are more north and face Fannin. Texas Childrens is such a fortress you can really see where the pedestrian activity cuts off. Plus Main is car-centric while Fannin is pedestrian and rail focused. Maybe the Aggie campus will help change this?

• Like 5

• The title was changed to Medistar to Develop 48-Story Innovation Tower in the Texas Medical Center
  • 3 weeks later...