Innovation Tower: Mixed-Use High-Rise At 6700 Main St.

Astro

31 minutes ago, gclass said:

^^^ for GOD so love the world, that he gave houston...

Man, I am not particularly religious, but this seems borderline blasphemous.

That said, this building does look real purty. I would probably not compare it to Jesus, but it seems nice...

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Luminare said:

trans non-binary. I think you need to keep up. Like...come on man.

20 hours ago, Response said:

That's right. God's a woman now. Try and keep up.

Both of you are assuming gender. Way behind the times.

He's a he.

And this tower is amazing.

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

I like the design but the shape of the mid section throws me off. Also completely blocks the apartment tower of Downtown views.

It’s very Hudson Yards-esque. A blue glass behemoth that sticks out like a sore thumb just a little bit. 

I say this all in a good way. It’ll be awesome for the TMC and Houston!

• Like 1

Welcome to urban living.  Dense urban areas tend to have tall buildings built close to one another.  Although in this case, it's a little surprising they didn't put this tower on the southern end of their parcel and the hotel/apartment tower on the northern end.  I suppose they must have had a reason...

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 5

24 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Welcome to urban living.  Dense urban areas tend to have tall buildings built close to one another.  Although in this case, it's a little surprising they didn't put this tower on the southern end of their parcel and the hotel/apartment tower on the northern end.  I suppose they must have had a reason...

There is also a drive that will separate these two buildings, which by looking at it will be about 12ft. Plenty of space. Plus the functions of each tower are different. When most of the residents are home then most the people in the office tower will be gone (minus a few night owls). You are correct about your first point. This is normal life in cities like New York. Plus a person living in this tower is going to have privacy as less of a priority than proximity to TMC. Life is about trade-offs.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

The key word here is “dense”.  Houston isn’t dense like New York.  Sure, if there are highrises all over the place, a developer can’t help but nestle his or her tall building up against another.  But c’mon, there are a myriad of opportunities to allow for a little breathing room between buildings here in Houston.  It just seems like an odd choice to me.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, MarathonMan said:

The key word here is “dense”.  Houston isn’t dense like New York.  Sure, if there are highrises all over the place, a developer can’t help but nestle his or her tall building up against another.  But c’mon, there are a myriad of opportunities to allow for a little breathing room between buildings here in Houston.  It just seems like an odd choice to me.

If you ignore the natural Law of Proximity , then it doesn't make sense. While it looks like there is a ton of breathing room to space things out, if you analyze the area, the options to building in such close proximity to the medical center is getting pretty tight. If the amount of available land is constricted but you have a high demand for living closer to this area then you will get taller buildings and ones that start to cram against one another. This is already the case for the actual hospitals in TMC. Just look at it. They are all practically falling into one another. We will probably see the same for res. / hospitality / commercial as well. 

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

I believe, aesthetically, the rule-of-three applies.  Two towers place near to one another can look awkward.  But, a group of three or more can look more natural. 

They are one building 
They are two alone 
They are three together 

They are for each other

• Like 9

On 4/28/2019 at 10:37 PM, Montrose1100 said:

I like the design but the shape of the mid section throws me off. Also completely blocks the apartment tower of Downtown views.

They thought about this when designing Latitude. If you look at the floorpan, the only units in the building that exclusively face downtown are sub 450 square foot micro units. Also, the views to downtown are mostly blocked anyway by other buildings, except maybe the upper floors.

https://www.latitudemedcenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Latitude_M2.pdf

https://www.latitudemedcenter.com/virtual-tours/m2-showroom/

As a Southgate homeowner, I've actually read the deed restrictions. Those Northwest facing views, which are excellent, will never, ever be obstructed. I'm not thrilled with the extra traffic this will bring but accept that it's part of the price to be paid for living here, though additional steps should be taken to discourage cut through traffic.

The rooftop restaurant & bar is a cool feature. 

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...