Sign in to follow this  
CrockpotandGravel

Grocers Supply Co. - 3131 Holcombe Blvd

CrockpotandGravel    4,336

If this is a duplicate thread, please merge with the original. I performed different searches and couldn't locate an existing thread for this. I'm assuming this is a new listing due to the marketing materials pointing out this property didn't sustain flood damage from Hurricane Harvey.

The 36+ acre site where Grocers Supply Co. currently conducts business is on the market. Real estate service HFF Houston is marketing the site 3131 Holcombe Blvd, along with properties bordering Grand Blvd, Dixie Dr, and Ardmore St for a total of 51+ acres.

Loopnet listing (archive link)

BCeqKEl.jpg

I6Nelkj.jpg

Photos from Google Map

Holcombe Blvd @ Ardmore St
Bs9wW8A.jpg

JKTzLkh.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 3

From the marketing brochure:

HFF, on behalf of the Owner, is seeking qualified developers for the sale or partnership on a premier ±51-acre site located at the intersection of US Highway 288 and Holcombe Blvd. The Property provides an extremely unique development opportunity as it sits at the gateway to the Texas Medical Center. The Property is one of the largest undeveloped sites remaining in infill Houston and will offer fantastic view corridors of Downtown and the Texas Medical Center. This irreplaceable development opportunity is well positioned to capitalize on the expansions of the Texas Medical Center and resurgence of the Houston economy.

Investment Highlights

•  Premier Location

Located at the intersection of Holcombe Boulevard and Highway 288, the property’s location allows for immediate access to major employment centers throughout Houston. Additionally, frontage along Holcombe Boulevard provides direct access to the Texas Medical Center, allowing the site to serve as the gateway to the most extensive hospital system in the world.

•  Unrivaled Urban Infill Site

The Property’s excellent accessibility and proximity to Houston’s second largest employment center presents a unique opportunity for a large scale ±51-acre mixed-use development located on some of Houston’s most desirable real estate.

•  Incredible Size

At roughly 51 acres, the Property is arguably the largest site for development remaining inside the 610 Loop, west of US 288 and the CBD.

https://my.hfflp.com/GetDocument?BBArgs=aKom-p1mkBkMbxvt_Un3S2sp2F3KgJvYNtsfgO5uaOQQvOAs (archive link)

I would love to see this has a mixed-use. Or at mose, something that can be enjoyed by all and a boost to the economy. With Fiesta grocery stores dwindling in Houston with more people shopping at H-E-B, Aldi, Trader Joe's and Sprouts, Grocers Supply Co doesn't need the warehouse space here (and the cost).

• Like 1

Houston19514    2,458
8 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

I would love to see this has a mixed-use. Or at mose, something that can be enjoyed by all and a boost to the economy. With Fiesta grocery stores dwindling in Houston with more people shopping at H-E-B, Aldi, Trader Joe's and Sprouts, Grocers Supply Co doesn't need the warehouse space here (and the cost).

They would probably relocate their warehouse to less-valuable real estate.  Even if Fiesta stores are dwindling, Grocers Supply supplies groceries to a lot of stores beside Fiestas.

In any event, that's a nice big piece of land close-in.  Great opportunity for some nice development.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

houstontexasjack    1,227

I was wondering when this plot would come to market.  Great find, Crockpot!  I'd previously fantasized about this site being a built-from-scratch hospital for a new Rice University Medical School, but wouldn't mind some new residential highrises coupled with a new streetscape in this area. 

• Like 1

htownbro    231
2 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

They would probably relocate their warehouse to less-valuable real estate.  Even if Fiesta stores are dwindling, Grocers Supply supplies groceries to a lot of stores beside Fiestas.

In any event, that's a nice big piece of land close-in.  Great opportunity for some nice development.

Maybe GS can move warehouse to east side of NW beltway area...

Fortune    433

Grocery Supply is moving all of it local operations to Pinto Business Park owned and developed by Hines, it's up in the Greenspoint area.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, htownbro said:

A few residential high rises like the Mosaic and retail which is lacking in this area

I agree. There are high rises to the east and west of this property,  but with its proximity to 288, a high-rise could work.

15 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Yes, I know Grocers Supply Co. would relocate their warehouse. I was in no way implying that the business is shutting down because of less Fiestas and the cost associated to the location of the warehouse along Holcombe.

And although Grocers Supply Co was acquired a while back and services more low-end grocery stores, Fiesta is their largest client.

13 hours ago, houstontexasjack said:

I was wondering when this plot would come to market.  Great find, Crockpot!  I'd previously fantasized about this site being a built-from-scratch hospital for a new Rice University Medical School, but wouldn't mind some new residential highrises coupled with a new streetscape in this area. 

I  hope that something worthwhile is built here once this is sold. I see so much potential for that portion of Holcombe.

5 hours ago, Fortune said:

Grocery Supply is moving all of it local operations to Pinto Business Park owned and developed by Hines, it's up in the Greenspoint area.

That makes sense. Thanks for the update.

The Levit family sold to C & S Wholesale 3 years ago.   Their first warehouse that was sold,  was the cold storage off Studemont and I-10.   

I had heard that all warehouse operations will eventually be moved somewhere South of Dallas.   I know that C & S also operates a warehouse in Coppell, Texas - NW of Dallas.

http://www.chron.com/business/article/Major-distributor-to-acquire-Houston-s-Grocers-5866977.php

Houston19514    2,458
21 hours ago, native_Houstonian said:

I had heard that all warehouse operations will eventually be moved somewhere South of Dallas.   I know that C & S also operates a warehouse in Coppell, Texas - NW of Dallas.

That might be true if by "somewhere south of Dallas" you mean Pinto Business Park.

If C&S operates a warehouse in Coppell, they seem to be unaware of it.

http://www.cswg.com/locations

19 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

That might be true if by "somewhere south of Dallas" you mean Pinto Business Park.

If C&S operates a warehouse in Coppell, they seem to be unaware of it.

http://www.cswg.com/locations

My company delivers to the warehouse in Coppell, so I know it's not a figment of my imagination.

When Grocer's Supply was purchased 3 years ago, we were told at that time that Dallas and Houston operations would be consolidated to yes, somewhere south of Dallas.   Now, we have not yet been notified of switches in delivery locations.   Will let you know when we hear anything.

Edited by native_Houstonian

IronTiger    805

With GSC moving out, it looks like the railroad extending out that far wouldn't be needed anymore at all, as the next connection is south of OST. The crossings at Holcombe and OST can be removed, and Columbia Tap Rail Trail can extend all the way to OST.

Houston19514    2,458
5 hours ago, native_Houstonian said:

When Grocer's Supply was purchased 3 years ago, we were told at that time that Dallas and Houston operations would be consolidated to yes, somewhere south of Dallas.   Now, we have not yet been notified of switches in delivery locations.   Will let you know when we hear anything.

Please do, if you hear anything.

cspwal    2,140

Grocer's supply is closing? That is big. First thing that comes to mind is being able to extend the bike trail down that rail line - I believe Grocer Supply was the only customer of that line, and I'm sure maintaining it costs a decent amount

• Like 1

plumber2    196

I wonder about those small notched out parcels on the back of the property, off of Grand Blvd (not Grant as it's misspelled on the photo shot). Those hold outs may finally have an opportunity to realize their big financial dream. 

bobruss    3,095

Either that or end up like Becks Prime.

Hopefully they'll take the cash.

bobruss    3,095

The property to the left of Holcombe all the way to O.S.T., is also Grocers Supply, so the real amount of property is huge. With its proximity to the Med Center and  Museum district, this plat of land could be a major mixed use city centre type development. I wonder if the company that acquired Grocers Supply has  built a new terminal farther outside the city center.

I could also see the TMC trying to wrap up  this parcel for future growth.

Houston19514    2,458
On 6/1/2018 at 3:50 PM, cspwal said:

Grocer's supply is closing? That is big. First thing that comes to mind is being able to extend the bike trail down that rail line - I believe Grocer Supply was the only customer of that line, and I'm sure maintaining it costs a decent amount

Grocers Supply is moving/consolidating all of their operations to Pinto Business Park.

Houston19514    2,458
On 6/7/2018 at 10:05 PM, bobruss said:

The property to the left of Holcombe all the way to O.S.T., is also Grocers Supply, so the real amount of property is huge. With its proximity to the Med Center and  Museum district, this plat of land could be a major mixed use city centre type development. I wonder if the company that acquired Grocers Supply has  built a new terminal farther outside the city center.

I could also see the TMC trying to wrap up  this parcel for future growth.

The part south of Holcombe is not included in the "for sale" listing.  Maybe they've already sold that parcel?

bobruss    3,095

i realize that. my point is the total grocers supply footprint is a very large tract of land in such an enviable location so close to the med center and museum district.

It would be nice if it was available as a package. 

HNathoo    143

I believe the owner of this site is stone lake capital. They’re behind some interesting projects in the domain area of Austin. 

18 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

This interesting and ambitious "Confidential Master Plan" shows up on the Munoz Albin Project page on their Website. 

Thanks to research from another Haifer researching the Colombe d'Or tower.   

https://munozalbin.com/project/old-market-east-omaha-master-plan/

tBCVAXK.jpg

18 hours ago, CaptainJilliams said:

Not to get anybody too excited, but here's the conceptual rendering from the link Naviguessor posted above:

OWv4rFlr.jpg

Goodness gracious! That's a beauty! I approve.

I put a higher-res rendering in your above post.

And the image on the website has this in labeled in the picture file of the rendering:

Med-Center-Master-Plan-MC_v1_FIN-corrected-Architect-Houston-Apartments-Condos-Architecture-Commercial-Architects-Top-Architecture-Firms-Office-Tower-High-Rise

19 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

This interesting and ambitious "Confidential Master Plan" shows up on the Munoz Albin Project page on their Website. 

Thanks to research from another Haifer researching the Colombe d'Or tower.   

https://munozalbin.com/project/old-market-east-omaha-master-plan/

https://i.imgur.com/tBCVAXK.jpg

More design outlines of the renovated Grocery Supply Co. land in the Medical Center at 3131 Holcombe Blvd and Hwy 288 in Houston:

One of the images is labeled Levit Center Site Plan

O8xBCPG.jpg

jexO6CH.jpg

Bk9c08W.jpg

5Xbi1ly.jpg

wbrvEsb.jpg

Fortune    433

If Houston takes off as biomedical research hub this development and 7200 main wont have any issues getting off the ground!