Post Oak Place: Mid-Rise Development At 1801 Post Oak Blvd.

Urbannizer

31 minutes ago, InTheLoopFromNYC said:

Not sure if a joke or not, but unfortunately, the "grandest" title isn't even close. Post Oak isn't bad and the decorative street elements (the arches, rings over the intersections, etc.) make it really stand out. It does  kind of remind me of a mini Wilshire Blvd in L.A. but a long way from matching the likes of 5th or Park Ave's or 57th st., for that matter, in NYC, Michigan Ave in Chicago, or the likes of the Las Vegas Strip or New Orlean's Bourbon St!

I'm pretty sure that's why @Timoric said "America’s grandest BLVD in the making". Hell, we're still about 1-2 years away from completing just the basic infrastructure for the project, so of course it won't be close. I'm certain it won't be the "grandest" blvd in America upon completion, but it's a step in the right direction for continued Uptown development. I'm excited to see what projects go up following its completion. I mean look at what has already gone up/is planning to go up (Arise Post Oak, 1801 Post Oak, McNair Mixed-Use, etc).

(And yes, I'm certain there was a tinge of sarcasm in his statement 😂

Edited by CaptainJilliams
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, InTheLoopFromNYC said:

Not sure if a joke or not, but unfortunately, the "grandest" title isn't even close. Post Oak isn't bad and the decorative street elements (the arches, rings over the intersections, etc.) make it really stand out. It does  kind of remind me of a mini Wilshire Blvd in L.A. but a long way from matching the likes of 5th or Park Ave's or 57th st., for that matter, in NYC, Michigan Ave in Chicago, or the likes of the Las Vegas Strip or New Orlean's Bourbon St!

Im pretty sure his comment is in reference to this article:

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2015/05/national-city-planner-post-oak-will-be-grandest.html

Edited by Fortune
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, InTheLoopFromNYC said:

I would agree.  The “Grandest” boulevards in the US and world-wide have one thing in common.  They are pedestrian-friendly.  Even the Vegas Strip, while broad and congested, provides a decent pedestrian experience.  Broad sidewalks, a lot to see and do all the way along.  Grand boulevards aren’t lined with parking lots like Post Oak is (even the new BLVD Place stuck a parking lot roadside instead of hiding it — not a good look!).  The city could have used the current BRT project as an opportunity to also tie together all of the various developments along the street with an impressive and broad promenade along both sides.  From my view, though, the project is all about the traffic experience and designers ignored the pedestrian experience almost entirely. Post Oak may someday rival the grandest boulevards in the great cities of the world, but it will take a very looooooong time for that to happen, and a priority shift on the part of Houston.  Probably won’t see it in our lifetimes.

Also, can the title of this thread be change Do  to Zadok?  That’s the correct spelling.

Edited by MarathonMan
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, gatway2k said:

C6FE0462-913E-4266-810D-F5380BD0FAFA.jpeg

5AAD917E-FE6D-40D5-843D-AAFFE0C8141A.jpeg

any chance these are just the new christmas trees for the holiday lighting and they are just testing placement etc? 

(they are wrapped in black plastic so i am glad you got a photo of what they look like under that...my first glance riding past them was: what in the heck?!...

edit to say i just saw the urbanfx link, so yes i guess that is what this is! 

Edited by gene
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, gene said:

any chance these are just the new christmas trees for the holiday lighting and they are just testing placement etc? 

(they are wrapped in black plastic so i am glad you got a photo of what they look like under that...my first glance riding past them was: what in the heck?!...

edit to say i just saw the urbanfx link, so yes i guess that is what this is! 

Obviously is for Christmas in July.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, richfish said:

They just brought in another trailer full of trees to install. They’re multiplying 

Kooky...i like them but I hope its just a test run for November to January and not some year round thing display...

OMG! 😑 well, i was driving down Post Oak last night and they were indeed testing the now unwrapped trees and...

they are using those darn changing color lights on them! i may be alone here but i just think changing color lights feel cheap/tacky etc.

I prefer just white for the most part but could even bear with another solid color...

anyway...they had about 8 of them up and flashing away 🙃

• Like 4

5 hours ago, gene said:

OMG! 😑 well, i was driving down Post Oak last night and they were indeed testing the now unwrapped trees and...

they are using those darn changing color lights on them! i may be alone here but i just think changing color lights feel cheap/tacky etc.

I prefer just white for the most part but could even bear with another solid color...

anyway...they had about 8 of them up and flashing away 🙃

Yeah I hate them. They are super tacky looking. Old 'real' looking trees are so much better. 

• Like 2

Honestly I don't mind these trees since they are modern to match the arches etc...but yeah slowly changing colored lights are the worst haha! (and yep, I would have been happy with green christmas trees as well!...what ever happened to good old fashioned Christmas decorations!?)

Edited by gene
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, richfish said:

Yeah I hate them. They are super tacky looking. Old 'real' looking trees are so much better. 

Its a better balance than having all real trees wrapped in christmas lights year round. Real trees that can grow in and look nice and then fake light up trees to give some light and ambiance.

• Like 1

I was just heading north on Post Oak Blvd. and hit the red light right in front of this site/Hilton.  I think this is going to have a great and elegant street presence on Post Oak.  Even though its scale is less than what most had hoped for, I think this truly elevates the area just like the GFR at the Dinerstein project will.  It will be exciting to check back in 2-3 years when both of these have delivered and see how the surrounding site owners have responded and the level of interest from developers.  

On a side note, it was a very graceful drive down the Boulevard.  They really did a great job.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, TheUnaballer said:

I hope the architects put some thought into how the backside looks, since this new structure is going to be right outside my window 😰

Probably parking garage. I'm about 150 feet to your right, but I'm back behind the pool so I'll at least have some buffer. Hopefully there's some decent clearance between us and the new structure. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CaptainJilliams said:

That didn't take long at all. Crazy how much development is and will be going up along The Boulevard.

Come on @CaptainJilliams get with the marketing program. Its not just any boulevard. Its THE Boulevard. haha

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2