Federal Reserve Bank Of Dallas Houston Branch At 1801 Allen Pkwy.

JoshuaJP

The Fed controls the money. They can have anything they want, apparently. I agree it looks garish and I would've preferred our parkway to be more consistently residential. It seems like an obnoxious location. It should be Downtown, but maybe they know something we don't, as in that area WILL be downtown eventually.

Not if humans keep doing what some here advocate. :(

• 3 months later...

I like it too. It grows on you. After all the complaining I see here about boring designs, when one comes along that is unique, we get complaints on that, as well.

The nature of the beast, I suppose.

BTW, the Houston inferiority complex reared its ugly head again. The Fed changed the name on the building from its REAL name, "Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, Houston Branch", to some non-Dallas name..."Federal Reserve Bank, Houston Branch", I believe. The official explanation was that the REAL name was confusing. I can understand that. Several times, while driving down Allen Parkway, I thought I was in Dallas and started looking for the School Book Depository! <_<

Usually Michael Graves' work is OK to excellent. This building-however colorful it may be, [and I'm all for more color in architecture] completely destroys the scale of AP. I wonder if Graves visited the site before design began? Maybe he didn't. I can't find any other reason for it to be so colossaly out of scale for it's surroundings.

Anyway, to me it's just a sub-par building erected on an above par site. :(

B)

I like it too. It grows on you. After all the complaining I see here about boring designs, when one comes along that is unique, we get complaints on that, as well.

The nature of the beast, I suppose.

BTW, the Houston inferiority complex reared its ugly head again. The Fed changed the name on the building from its REAL name, "Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, Houston Branch", to some non-Dallas name..."Federal Reserve Bank, Houston Branch", I believe. The official explanation was that the REAL name was confusing. I can understand that. Several times, while driving down Allen Parkway, I thought I was in Dallas and started looking for the School Book Depository! <_<

It's not an inferiority complex when you're not the inferior one. What Houston has towards Dallas is a superiority complex. In fact, why don't I just make that a new term?

superiority complex - (suh-PEER- ...never mind) noun When one entity is clearly superior to another entity, but nobody outside of that entity ever seems to recognize or acknowledge it.

Edited by H-Town Man

It's not an inferiority complex when you're not the inferior one. What Houston has towards Dallas is a superiority complex. In fact, why don't I just make that a new term?

superiority complex - (suh-PEER- ...never mind) noun When one entity is clearly superior to another entity, but nobody outside of that entity ever seems to recognize or acknowledge it.

Let's stay on topic, people. I'm getting tired of the Dallas v. Houston battles.

Article on the building from yesterday's Chronicle:

Nov. 4, 2005, 2:04PM

Graves' new world

Paralysis doesn't stop architect Michael Graves.

It introduces him to a whole new market.

By CLIFFORD PUGH

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Steve Campbell / Chronicle

Michael Graves can no longer walk, but he hasn't lost a step.

Two years after meningitis left him paralyzed below the waist, the man who is arguably America's most famous architect is still coming to terms with his condition.

Yet the 71-year-old architect isn't ready to wheel off into the sunset just yet. Back at work full time, he was in Houston last week to attend the dedication of the new Federal Reserve Bank, which he designed.

fedres.jpg

To soften the gigantic Federal Reserve building, the architect added columns and lots of windows.

migraves.jpg

At the ceremony saluting Graves' new Federal Reserve Bank branch in Houston, the wheelchair-bound architect talks with a well-wisher.

Link to the rest of the article

The reason that people sneer at Michael Graves is because he's committed an unpardonable sin: he's become recognized and popular.

This building has elements both of grandeur and playfulness, much like an elephant in a tutu. I like it.

• Like 1

The reason that people sneer at Michael Graves is because he's committed an unpardonable sin: he's become recognized and popular.

This building has elements both of grandeur and playfulness, much like an elephant in a tutu. I like it.

Wright could have designed it and it would still be out of scale at that site.

B)

• Like 1

I agree that it seems out of scale for the site, and the facade is a bit too cartoonish for my taste, but on the other hand it's not a monstrosity. I give the Fed credit for going out on a limb here, rather than building something safe, boring, and ugly. Given the quality of architecture in Houston lately, or lack of the same to be precise, it's good to see something that pushes the limits somewhat. Anything would be better than another "safe" eyesore like the new civil courts building downtown, which to me sets the local benchmark for bad architecture.

The courts looks as they should. Predicatable by design. We don't need any trend setting courts.

From the 33rd floor of my 1100 Louisana it sure it. Thing basically stretches from AP to W Dallas.

You work at 1100 Louisiana from the 33rd floor and never provide us with pictures? are you mad? :)

I initially really didn't like it. Now, I still don't think it's beautiful but I guess I appreciate its quirkiness, which adds something to the city, if nothing else but "character", as opposed to bland and brutal. I still think it looks like the world's largest Chuck E. Cheese's though.

I'm curious how the interior looks. Any pics anyone?

• 1 month later...
I initially really didn't like it. Now, I still don't think it's beautiful but I guess I appreciate its quirkiness, which adds something to the city, if nothing else but "character", as opposed to bland and brutal. I still think it looks like the world's largest Chuck E. Cheese's though.

Good luck taking pictures inside a Federal Reserve, before you get thrown out/thrown in jail.

The only interior pictures I've seen are in the current issue of Cite (not online).

• 1 month later...

I visited the new Fed bldg yesterday & despite the fact that from the outside I felt it was an "eyesore"; the interiors esp. the executive areas are quite nice,professional, & efficent; but not overly ornate (or showy) as to the fact that it's wealth in itself. The art within the building is very modern and i think will continuially look impressive over the years. The balcony dinning area is quite the highlight and the planned ivy growth will add a nice sense of comfort. Obviously it's downtown views are awesome, but what i thought was interesting is that it feels like 3 separate buildings; as if walking on skywalks between massive structures, it's placement of windows is truly optimal and for a totally secure building quite the opposite of what i orginally thought.

Thankfully the color pallette tones down on the interior and it's got a distinct texas style untilitarian feel to the furniture detailing, notably the san jacinto room (where many of the public hearings will take place). The board room (located above the signage) impressed me the most, naturally, it's overview of the parkway and inset diguisal of technology.

According to my tour guide it's location is based off of the success of other branch banks, specific to the Baltimore branch and it's effect on the surrounding area. It's a semi-public building with a museum like tour set up (still in the works) on the bank vault level showing you how the automated system works and what the Fed does. Publicly it also was mentioned that the steps are opened up on certain holidays like the 4th of july and that certain portions of the 2nd level main building will in fact be leased to private companies in need of security.

The vault (seen from Allen Pkwy) is expandable to accomodate future growth. A large portion (roughly 60%) of it's budget went to the overengineering/post911safety/HVAC and that the remainder was for the "architecture" so in a sense i got a feeling the Fed did the most with what they could considering the turbulent times in which this building was being designed/constructed.

-We were told that absolutly no cameras could be brought on premises-

• 1 year later...

fedrsv01.jpg

I couldn't wait until completion of this place. I finally was able to attend an event and you wouldn't believe how elegant this place is on the inside. For a while there I thought I was inside a Four Seasons Hotel. Although I don't agree with its curb appeal I have to admit the people that created this place did a fantastic job. I would like to learn more about the functionality of this place but the website should explain. Inquire about tours. :)

Edited by Vertigo58
  • Like 1

I have to admit that when I first moved here I thought that building was some kind of huge day-care, youth facility, or community center. I never would have thought it was the Federal Reserve Bank. Glad to hear that it is much nicer on the inside though.