Federal Reserve Bank Of Dallas Houston Branch At 1801 Allen Pkwy.

JoshuaJP

Im not saying I like the design - but you guys really think its overpowering on Allen Parkway when you have the likes of 3333 (whatever its called now), and American General Center - both are much taller and are easily visable from a distance, while the new Fed Reserve Building is shorter and can blend into the surroundings even from the Studemont Bridge.

I don't think American General or 3333 are overpowering from the street level, which is where I'm viewing them from. From a car or while running the trails, you only see just a small portion of most of the buildings. They are each pretty basic and your eye seems to move from one to the next without actually registering them (actually American General is quite nice now with the water feature). The plantings, mature oaks, and sweeping lawns help to soften their impact as well. The Federal Reserve, with its large retaining walls, doesn't accomplish this as well IMO.

Upon further reflection. maybe that is what I really don't like. As bland and basic as that cluster of buildings is, the American General complex seems like it fits into the natural terrain. It feels more integrated.

Like many have said here, it is all in the eye of the beholder.

• Like 1

Guest danax
is it just me, or is this building an ugly blight on our preimier parkway?

As H-town man mentioned too, we tend to be a little on the negative side regarding projects but it's not really as negative as it appears. I think we're just having fun being arm-chair architects and planners, giving vent to our imaginations designing the future of Houston.

So, if Houston had a master-planner and it was me, I would use Allen Parkway as our premier high rise residential strip, like Wilshire Blvd. in LA between Bev Hills and UCLA. Nothing but condo towers with views of the park on one side and the skyline on the other.

But, that's not the way it works here. This town is assembled piecemeal without much master planning. The fact that this would normally be a "downtown" building, even though it's short and squat, it might indicate that the future of Allen Pkwy is as single-sided off shoot of the CBD, to be lined with midrise office buildings; another mini-skyliine, which might be interesting and beautiful.

Then again, odds are that this prime parkway will be our typical, non-master-planned mish-mash, never quite finished or clearly defined. Not being negative here, as I'm beginning to understand that one needs to learn to appreciate the constantly varying scenes here to really love this city.

Although the building is far from my ideal for Allen Parkway, I have to admit it has grown on me. Allen Parkway is one of our premier streets in all of Houston, and yes, I would have liked a more clean classy style for it instead of the typical Houston "jumble of any and everything", but hey what are we going to do?

Regarding the criticism on this board of recent architecture, give me a break? We all are aware of the fact that people have varied tastes and preferences, but let's be real here..... some of the stuff that has been going up in Houston over the past few years could have been done with a little more thought into the designs. The attitude of " Oh let's just be greatful the Mercer is up because at least it's not a empty field anymore" is a attitude I do NOT share. Where was the overall criticism of Enron II, where was the overall criticism of the recent new rendering of the proposed Kirby Condo, where was the overall criticism of the new addition to the Galleria? There was no widespread criticism on these sites on those projects because there was no need for it.

I look at the architectural designs of most of the things that are going up in Atlanta right now and the designs of the things that are proposed, and it makes me even more critical of the designs that have been chosen for Houston as of late.

But at the end of the day, as it has been said already, we are just arm-chair architects who are having fun, so what's the big deal?

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The ugliest building by far is the new Houston Federal Reserve. It is so cheap looking and certainly doesn't look like any temple of finance to me. That building should be imploded and they just built it.

I lived in China and when you wanted to build a new concrete structure, you make it modern by placing white tile with patterned tiles on the outside. It looks cheap like putting chrome on a Ford Festiva. The new Houston Federal Reserve building looks like the cheap buildings in China, only worse.

Who is responsible for that piece of crap?

• Like 1

I think the building is quite beautiful. Also, it's foot print alone Allen Parkway is quite small. They left some real estate at the corner of Taft and Allen Parkway to be sold off. maybe for a dense residential or something.

To me, the eyesore on Allen Parkway is the Section 8 housing just before you enter downtown.

• Like 1

I'm still undecided on the building, I like that it is different, but not sure if I truly say i like the design, if that makes sense.

What was there before? Was it an abandoned building or empty land? The building that bothers me off of Allen Parkway is I think the abandoned one where AP intersects with Montrose. I think someone has mentioned there might be plans for that building, but for right now its an eyesore when you get off the parkway to see that building.

• Like 1

Who says a view of downtown is garunteed. Wait until more mid-rise condo units are built that block people who own townhomes with rooftop decks. People are already complaining about Innerloopcondos.com for doing this, but they don't own a view.

I think the reserve bank makes a great use of the site. Also, Federal Reserve banks double as museums for struggling artists. Ever been to the one in Dallas. It quite awesome seeing all the works of art. You can buy them if you want to also.

If you are going to block my view, and least block it with something pretty.

This building is a glorified Warehouse. No, make that a high school on steroids.

And I read they don't even need a big portion of it anymore due to changes in how the checks are processed.

It is true the design of the building was finalized and started construction before the new legislation about check processing was passed.

It was too late to make the changes and the money was already appropriated. Put it this way, the volumes of office space in the facility now would mean they'll never have to expand it in the future. I could see some other federal governemnt offices that need high security would move in there if they need office space.

Yeah,

hey, I don't remember, but does it make it all the way to Dallas St?

I'm really curious to see what Anabelle's Restraunt will be like with all the new employees right there.

From my office, it appears that the CenterPoint/Reliant/Whoever covered parking lot backs up to the Reserve on Dallas St. So no, it doesn't appear to hit Dallas St.

that thing looks more like a new high school or community college and less like a federal reserve bank. and why cant they call it the Houston Branch Federal Reserve Bank instead of the Dallas Federal Reserve Bank?

Well, because technically that would be incorrect. There is no one "Federal Reserve Bank", just twelve regional institutions. The building on Allen Pkwy is a branch of the Dallas Fed. There are also branches in El Paso and San Antonio.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest danax
Why in the world should the Fed get a prime location like this?

The Fed controls the money. They can have anything they want, apparently. I agree it looks garish and I would've preferred our parkway to be more consistently residential. It seems like an obnoxious location. It should be Downtown, but maybe they know something we don't, as in that area WILL be downtown eventually.