Retail Center At 1302 Houston Ave.

Triton

I'll update the title as we get more news but we potentially have a major project in the works here. After being here for decades, the tire shop along with possibly the lumber yard are both shutting down along Houston Ave. This is a good swathe of land near downtown so the possibilities are big here. Will update when I learn more.

Here is my update for this:

Confirmed redevelopment of the tire shop. An entity not connected to the lumber yard area is renovating the tire shop for studio/ commercial purposes. Think High First Ward warehouse conversion.

This entity is not connected in anyway to the lumber yard.

Thanks 

That's such a convenient lumber yard for those of us who enjoy Saturday mornings, slowly driving our cars home, overloaded with all sorts of stuff hanging off... OTOH, you have to rely on their guys to pick the lumber.

People were saying a few years ago that the lumber yard and Matheson Gas were on the verge of selling so they could move out to the beltway for cheaper dirt.  I guess there is still enough value in being centrally located or they are just waiting for a really big check.

Yea no sell of the lumber yard so only the tire shop is going.  Looks like they will be closing November 22nd instead of the originally scheduled date of, I believe, the 16th. Sounded like retail will go in its place. 

• The title was changed to Montalbano businesses shutting down 1302 Houston Ave

I've been buying my tires from Montalbano tire since I started buying tires in the 1970s. My father has done the same since the early 1950's. It is a very bitter-sweet thing to learn that the tire store is closing. It is unfortunate that the city (and I am feeling sorry for myself here) will be losing a merchant that clearly put service and customer satisfaction above all but good that Tony and his family will be able to enjoy more time together - a well earned and well deserved retirement. By the way, I do like the renderings of the proposed redevelopment.

• The title was changed to Montalbano Tire & Auto shutting down 1302 Houston Ave
  • 9 months later...

Site plan from the leasing brochure. According to the Chronicle, a R Bar and a Yoga Studio will be opening in the next few months. 

In the coming months, a yoga studio and a sports bar will open in the 16,000-square-foot space. Kaldis envisions a variety of other tenants, perhaps an upscale barber shop, a furniture showroom and small offices, filling in some of the remaining available space.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Longtime-Houston-Avenue-tire-shop-gets-new-life-13221989.php

Montalbo.PNG

• The title was changed to 1302 Houston Ave.
  • The title was changed to Retail Center At 1302 Houston Ave.

Archived