West Eleventh Church Of God At 1001 W. 11th St.

Mab

So, what is this? 

I go by this building all the time. I once took refuge under its porch. 

Is it still going to be a church, or is this facelift for the benefit of industry? 

Also, are they going to knock down the attached house on the west side of the property for the benefit of parking spaces? Or did they just forget about it in the rendering? 

• Like 1

C'mon man, how is it not obvious what they're marketing it as? Unless you think being in the "wet part of the heights" and next to a "high volume Kroger and presidio" is somehow relevant to places of worship, never mind the obvious question of why would a church need a marketing flyer to begin with?

Re: the render itself, looks awesome to me. Kudos to the Heights really stepping up in the quality development game. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Well.  Didn't see that one coming.  

There will be a nice pile of dead birds at the base of the big window.  HVAC and sound proofing will also be interesting.  And there will be a heckuva glare in the winter months.  But why not.  I always liked how Mark's repurposed the church except that there were no real windows (I guess back when it first opened you really did not want to see what was happening on Westheimer).  So, this could really be great if they can catch a really top notch restaurant tenant.  Might be a little over the top for another Le Peep.   

On 11/9/2017 at 3:47 PM, Purpledevil said:

Well, if it ultimately turns into a bar, the old church will surely make for some fantastic photo opportunities of lightning strikes.

Sadly, such events have yet to come to pass at Spire downtown, but maybe that's just an indication that God is agnostic when it comes to Christian Scientist houses of worship. 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to 1001 West 11th Church of God
On 11/9/2017 at 6:00 PM, s3mh said:

HVAC and sound proofing will also be interesting.  And there will be a heckuva glare in the winter months.  

The south-facing wall of glass could be a challenge. Also not sure how they keep the stained glass in place if they remove the surrounding masonry. I don't think you can just lick-and-stick those windows on the new glass facade.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Originally posted November 10, 2017 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. An archive link of the entire thread before my posts were removed October 5.

On 11/9/2017 at 5:45 AM, EllenOlenska said:

So, what is this? 

I go by this building all the time. I once took refuge under its porch. 

Is it still going to be a church, or is this facelift for the benefit of industry? 

Also, are they going to knock down the attached house on the west side of the property for the benefit of parking spaces? Or did they just forget about it in the rendering? 

Looks to me that it's being marketed as a possible redevelopment for a club, lounge, or restaurant. It's not that different from the Church of Science downtown, converted into the club Spire.

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 1

Originally posted November 10, 2017 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. An archive link of the entire thread before my posts were removed October 5.

On 11/8/2017 at 10:05 PM, Mab said:

More from the leasing flier of Bryan Danna's Revive new project: a repurposed development of the West Eleventh Church of God,  a 1940's building at 1001 W 11th St in Houston.

Land: 24,000 Sf

Building: 4,500 sf
Parking spaces: 51

Additional Info:
Unique 1940s Sanctuary

Solid wood beams

Stained glass windows

Historic lighting detail

Great restaurant potential

Plentiful parking In the heart of the Heights

KwuHOz6.jpg

Site plan:

JtPPeJM.jpg

Originally posted November 10, 2017 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. An archive link of the entire thread before my posts were removed October 5.

Photos of the inside of West Eleventh Church of God, the proposed Revive re-purposed development at 1001 W 11th St in Houston.

vOEBtj1.jpg

3DYecTy.jpg

bs2c8Yk.jpg

Originally posted August 7, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. An archive link of the entire thread before my posts were removed October 5.

Any updates on this? Did someone buy this or lease it yet?

Originally posted August 8, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. An archive link of the entire thread before my posts were removed October 5.

There's a planning permit for 1001 W 11th St in the Heights. This is the site of the former West Eleventh Church of God. Revive Development is repurposing the building. 

Maybe there will be news about Revive's plans for this in the fall.

Kt4Vm9g.jpg

Originally posted September 13, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. An archive link of the entire thread before my posts were removed October 5.

In today's real estate section of Houston Chronicle is an article about parking. It touches on developer's use of little or too much spaces allocated for parking, pros & cons of surface parking, transit, and structure parking.

There is this blurb about 1001 W 11th St in the Heights. This is the site of the former West Eleventh Church of God.

Revive Development is repurposing the building. The company provided some details about what's planned.

From Houston Chronicle:

...But for now, parking remains a linchpin of his development strategy.

His [ Bryan Danna ] company recently bought an old church on 11th Street in the Heights and is repositioning the space for a restaurant. The sanctuary will be renovated and a newer building behind the church will be demolished to add more parking.

“The sentiment on the street is to push politically for less parking,” Danna said. “But we’re just not there yet.”

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Developers-begin-to-look-past-parking-as-costs-14435977.php

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hai Hospitality’s Asian smokehouse concept that unites two James Beard Award winners — Uchi founder Tyson Cole and Franklin Barbecue founder Aaron Franklin — is still on track to arrive in The Heights this year. A Hai representative tells CultureMap that the plans to convert a former church on 11th St. into a restaurant have been submitted for permitting, which means construction could begin relatively soon. With some luck, Houstonians could be eating sweet corn fritters, Malaysian chicken bo ssam, and smoked prime bavette rice bowls — all paired with a mix of craft beer, cocktails, and wine — as soon as this summer.

From here

"as soon as this summer" probably means, "maybe this time next year."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...
  • The title was changed to West Eleventh Church of God At 1001 W 11th St.
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...