Founders District/The Cannon Mixed-Use At Beltway 8 & I-10

Urbannizer

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/11/03/70m-mixed-use-project-to-start-construction-near.html

A new roughly $70 million, 120,000-square-foot mixed-use project is expected to break ground next January north of Interstate 10 and west of Beltway 8.

The space, called The Cannon, is planned to feature a co-working component along with an event center, an athletic facility, restaurant and retail and a multifamily area. Houston-based Work America Capital is behind the project, and Abel Design Group is the project's designer.

The Cannon is expected to be completed in late 2018.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, bobruss said:

How is flooding in that area? Why is it called and Esports arena, and not s sports arena. Just curious.

Aerials from GoogleEarth look fine in the area after Harvey. The only areas with water are two empty lots that look like they were designed to be detention basins. 

I assume because esports is different than sports. It is competitive video games and drone flying. This market is growing very fast so I am not surprised to see an arena be built. If done right they will be able to host events from across the state, country, and world. I agree the location could be better but the were a couple furniture stores/warehouses here so there is lot of land.

• Like 2

Why is this damn esports arena not closer to the city? Ridiculous how we want to bring entertainment to downtown yet every project is near a freeway intersection. Not saying this needs to be downtown but damn what runs thru our city planners heads? I feel like we shoot ourselves in the foot non stop. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

Oh, Him.  Do we think he had anything to do with the location of this development? 

No. Their job us to ensure the developers follow rules on site prrp, life safety, etc. The Houston Planning Department doesn't get to choose siting for projects, which is as it should be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree 100%. Its not the city planning department's place  to decide where things should be built in our system of no zoning. 

It's the developers job to choose what they feel is the appropriate location for their project.

The public has the opportunity to vote on the developers decision for location and whether the idea is worthwhile with their pocketbooks and their participation in these enterprises.

It's a shame that there isn't some kind of advisory board that could help these developers make better decisions.

Someone to play ideas off of.

In fairness to this site the burbs are where the majority of young people who would be more inclined to use this type of facility live.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bobruss said:

I agree 100%. Its not the city planning department's place  to decide where things should be built in our system of no zoning. 

It's the developers job to choose what they feel is the appropriate location for their project.

The public has the opportunity to vote on the developers decision for location and whether the idea is worthwhile with their pocketbooks and their participation in these enterprises.

It's a shame that there isn't some kind of advisory board that could help these developers make better decisions.

Someone to play ideas off of.

In fairness to this site the burbs are where the majority of young people who would be more inclined to use this type of facility live.

And that's exactly MY point. I understand the planning department can't dictate where a developer wants to build, but much how the city can suggest, for example building closer to the street or parking in the back, why can't they offer an incentive of some kind to build closer or in a certain area?

• Like 2

Well, thats another story, and most of what you ask are good questions. You would think that those issues would or should be an issue for planning through permitting, I guess.

I remember from my experience with Austin planning and permitting the very strict rules and regulations that were carried out to the inch. 

I don't know if the planning board has a recommended preference for developers to follow, but it would be interesting to know. . . . . if someone cares to tell us more.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Structural permits for this were pulled yesterday 

Project No: 17144472
Date : 2018/04/23 00:00:00
USE : (EPR)CNVT TO OFFC SHELL W/2ND FLR ADDT'N
Owner/Occupant : *1334 BRITTMOORE BUILDING
Job Address : 1334 BRITTMOORE RD 77043
Valuation : $ 14,000,000
Permit Type : 13
FCC Group : Non-Residential Alteration
Buyer : *BURTON CONSTRUCTION
Address : 10550 WESTPARK DR 77042
Phone : (218) 313-5055

http://www.cohtora.houstontx.gov/ibi_apps/WFServlet.ibfs?IBIF_webapp=/ibi_apps&IBIC_server=EDASERVE&IBIWF_msgviewer=OFF&IBIAPP_app=soldpermits&IBIF_ex=sold_permit_d&CLICKED_ON=&PN=17144472&PT=13

Edited by AREJAY
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Triton said:

Mmm... this building is already in place. What is this saying?

The permit says second floor addition. Burton has a picture on their Facebook of the bare shell 

There’s also a biz journals article from a couple of weeks ago behind a paywall with some interior renders. Can anybody access? 

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/04/04/exclusive-150m-campus-for-entrepreneurs-breaks.html

Edited by AREJAY
  • Like 4

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/6/2019 at 7:40 PM, crock said:

trying to imagine the nerve/gaul/ignorance required to call something Founders District thats nowhere near the founding of anything. 

you do realize they are calling it this because the term "founders" refers to the startup founders they are catering to, right?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, swtsig said:

you do realize they are calling it this because the term "founders" refers to the startup founders they are catering to, right?

Bingo. This is going to be "startup wonderland" for Houston so you'll have quite a few "founders" walking around here.

• Like 1