This was a bad idea from the beginning, especially last week when the County started talking about using our tax dollars.

Who wants to stay in a hotel in the middle of a concrete jungle?

We are still waiting for the "build it and they will come" philosophy to work in downtown. 

Why take a gamble with another project, with a lot less to offer?

My guess is that the bankers will agree with you and the Dome hotel project will never come to pass. Hotel demand in the Astrodome area has never been that great to begin with. Didn't the hotel at Kirby and 610 close? Plus there's obviously some resistance from downtown interests. To me it seems like the county is just trying to come up with something, anything to do with the Dome that will make money. The space theme park didn't work, so now they're shopping this idea.

As I watch the game during overtime, Astros couldn't put the Cards away, why I do not know. It looked like they wanna go to game 7, cause they got striked out as fast I missed every second of it. Sometimes I feel different about the Astros, but let's just see how they do for the last game of the series tomorrow.

Oh Good lord! You meant to say "Extra Innings" Right?

Yeah, they should have won it, but the pitcher they had was totally useless. If it wasn't for Munro, WE would have won 0-4 and be in the series right now!

I mean, good lord!

Ricco

Fantastic night for the Boston Red Sox! They whupped the best team money could buy, in their own house! It doesn't get any better than that! What a great matchup that would be; Houston vs. Boston at the Fall Classic. BTW, does the mean that the "curse" has now been officially lifted???

No, because they haven't won a World Series. The curse dates back to the 1920's; they've been in at least four World Series since then. The most famous episode of the curse was a lazy ground ball rolling through Bill Buckner's legs in '86 to prevent what should have been an easy out to win the Series.

• 2 months later...

This really disappointed me. Hopefully we can do it without him.

Jan. 9, 2005, 5:02PM

BELTRAN SAYS ADIOS TO ASTROS

Houston star to sign with Mets, his agent says

By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

RESOURCES

Q&A: Got sports questions? Send them to Chronicle columnist Richard Justice here

Clearly $105 million isn't enough to satiate this guy, so my question is "Who cares about these greedy assholes?" We've been paying him whether we go to their games or not because that brand new park comes from our tax dollars. This is the thanks we get.

Teachers, Social Workers, Police, Fire, EMS, Public Workers, Soldiers, & the list goes on. The ones that keep our society wheels lubed & turning, get paid the least...

These people should get paid the most. There should be lines out the front door of people wanting to do these jobs. Why do we reward CEO's & Pro Athletes instead? If we put them in charge of society what would happen? Why as a society are we not rewarding those who work for us, the community? It's almost like it's a joke to give back now. A Good comparison would be to look at Pearl Harbor vs 9/11. We went 4 years dedicated to a cause. This time we made it about 6 months.

Sometimes this place (America) really lets me down  <_<

Glen

Well, in all fairness, it's not just in America that athletes can earn huge salaries. Just ask Beckham.

Do I blame the athletes? Heck no! It's not an issue of being "greedy", it's just getting the best price in the market. Nothing wrong with that - capitalism at its finest. Greedy or not, stars like Beltran would be nitwits to accept less than what the market will bear. If I had their talent I would hold out for the megabucks too.

That being said, it is a valid point that one questions the values of a society that pays millions to sports stars but goes cheap on things like education. We gladly dedicated almost a billion in tax revenue to build new stadiums, but scream bloody murder at the prospect of paying more taxes for education or homeless shelters. My point though is that the blame lies with the voters, not the athletes.

this is why i detest professional sports. i voted against all the new stadiums here in town. a billion dollars spent on these stadiums but schools around the city are falling apart, kids are using dated equipment and text books and the fire and police departments are understaffed but then again, cities that pander to these teams have their priorities all ____ed up anyway.

as for beltran, the players are so indoctrinated in the greed that comes with professional sports that they are no longer athletes but corporate whores. why would he be any different?

I stick to my point that the city or county should own the team, and all money made in sales can go back directly to the stadium & team.

Right now the only municipally-owned pro team is Green Bay, of course, and the owners in NFL and MLB have made it clear that kind of thing will never happen again. Municipal ownership deprives the team the ability to blackmail by threatening relocation. (In the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit I would have been crushed if the Astros had left, however.)

One would think it almost self-evident that tax funds would be better spent on things like education rather than stadiums, but the draw of pro sports always seems to be too strong. Right now NYC and DC are getting the ol' shakedown to build venues for the Giants/Jets and the new Nationals. Neither city can afford it, but they can't bring themselves to say "no".

As for the private lives of athletes being "role models", I don't know where that concept got started. Dreamed up by sentimental sports columnists, no doubt.

The real shame is when the athletes make stupid statements like the one I mentioned above in a previous post. Or the fact that they make millions, yet can't do simple things like not drink & drive, assualt others, evade taxes, or do drugs. It's pathetic. Between 4 jobs I make less than $50,000k a year, and I still don't do those things, because if I did, there would be no special treatment waiting for me at the courthouse. Heroes & Role models? I don't think so. I used to think that it was a challenge to play for the team you wanted - it's not, just don't be greedy, and any team you want to play for will sign you. How sad is it, that the biggest stars in sports don't have any pride left in where there want to play - they only want to play where the pay is the most. Disgusting. But you're right, this is capitalism at it's best - and in my opinion: also its worst.

I agree. Not only is it our fault in voting for self serving politicians, but it's also our fault for supporting these venues by agreeing to purchase $50.00 dollar tickets and $75.00 replica jerseys. I stick to my point that the city or county should own the team, and all money made in sales can go back directly to the stadium & team. The voters should decide the fate of a team - not some greedy old owner. It's safe to say you will NEVER catch me sitting in a season ticket seat for any of our professional venues. I refuse to let them take my money. I hope you all see past the rip-off also.

Sorry to sound bitter, but I know what it's like to work for the public. I don't do it for the money, but it's not motivating to see our city's citizens worry themselves to sleep over Beltran when we have real problems at city hall.

Glen

You're talking about Latrell Sprewell of the Minnesota Timberwolves.

By the way, I like pro sports, but baseball's power structure is what it is, and we Astros fans have gotten a hefty sample of how it works.

Think about this, the folks in DC have bent over backwards to get the sorry Expos, and that team will be bad for a long time. That team will also never be able to compete for players against New York, Atlanta, the Cubs, or the Dodgers. This is despite being in a HUGE market (that is shared a lot with Baltimore). But since Baltimore's owner will be compensated for whatever money he loses, The Nationals (re-named Expos) will not even be able to compete with the Orioles.

I'm not much of a sports fan but I do like to watch a game from time to time. Mainly hockey, so I'm a little out of my league (bad pun.. apology apology..). I would be interested in knowing which current day sports figures would make good role models, in y'alls opinions. I mean I sure wish these guys had some sense of 'Team' or city. I hate watching people like Randy Johnson and Caminiti (RIP) jump around from team to team. Wheres the loyalty in that? Are there major leaguers (of any sport) out there that have turned down huge pay spikes to stay with there buds? Or taken a major raise and given it to Jerry's kids? What about Pat Tillman??

Or has the bar been raised so high physically with Performance Enhancers that the the morally pure folk are now coaching lacrosse at St. Johns?

(Go Bruins!)

I never go to any Astros, Texans or Rockets games because I just can't justify the costs, but I do like to watch them on TV :) and I will miss Carlos Beltran. He has so much spirit and natural athleticism; it was inspiring not only to watch him make those impossible plays that only he seemed to be able to do, but he also appeared very humble when the microphones were shoved in his face. He praised God for his talents, and his fellow players constantly, never hogging fame for himself only. I'm sad to see him go because of the money situation, but I wish him well. One last note, I do go catch the Aeros in action from time to time. Their games are fun and exciting and inexpensive for the whole family to go. Other than that, we stick to high school and college games. They provide the same level of talent as some of the pro teams on TV, without the over-hyped expenses involved.

Hmm well lived in Houston 7 years. Been to 10 Astro's, about 25 Aero's, 0 Rockets, 0 Comets, and 0 Texans games. The Astro games were all corporate private room deals, never would have paid for it myself.

I would like to catch a Comet game though.

I'm not much of a sports fan but I do like to watch a game from time to time. Mainly hockey, so I'm a little out of my league (bad pun.. apology apology..). I would be interested in knowing which current day sports figures would make good role models, in y'alls opinions. I mean I sure wish these guys had some sense of 'Team' or city. I hate watching people like Randy Johnson and Caminiti (RIP) jump around from team to team. Wheres the loyalty in that? Are there major leaguers (of any sport) out there that have turned down huge pay spikes to stay with there buds? Or taken a major raise and given it to Jerry's kids? What about Pat Tillman??

Or has the bar been raised so high physically with Performance Enhancers that the the morally pure folk are now coaching lacrosse at St. Johns?

(Go Bruins!)

Clemens I think got less than he could have by playing with Houston, but he has family here and wanted to be in Houston. I'm sure there are other cases as well, although I'm still not sure I understand what's wrong with players not being loyal to a particular city. Sure, it's great if they are, and it's natural to want good players to stay with a team, but there's no reason to really expect it, is there? Pro sports is a business, plain and simple. That's not meant as criticism, only that it probably doesn't make economic sense from the viewpoint of a player to not maximize his earnings. They have relatively short careers in the majors, so they have to make what they can while the gettings good. For better or worse, they're not getting paid on the basis of serving as "role models" or being loyal to a team. I just don't expect athletes to be role models any more than I do CEOs or movie stars.

I do catch several Astros games each year. You can usually get upper deck tickets for $10 or so, depending on demand. Never seen the Texans.