An interesting article about unconventional baseball strategies reveals this idea:

He has another counterintuitive idea: using relievers to start the game, and delaying the "starting" pitcher's entrance until the third inning or so. The thinking is that starters are typically among a team's best pitchers, yet nowadays they often pitch only through the fifth or sixth inning, well before many games are decided. By having them pitch later, they'd be around for the higher-leverage innings.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1209079350...html?mod=sports

I would only implement this for above average pitchers. I'm not sure I want a tired 4th or 5th rotation starting pitcher going in at the 9th.

No, babies are free. Just don't let her get hit by a flying bat.

t1_baseball_bat_fan.jpeg

RIGHT IN THE KISSER !!! OMG!!! that looks absolutely painful ! Now, look at the Jackass to the left of the picture with the baby, he isn't even TRYING to cover that kid up. Now, look at the guy at the top in the black shirt, the guy is watching the dude get smacked by the bat and he already has a smile on his face. That guy is EVILLLLLLLLLLLL !!!

Edited by TJones

<br />RIGHT IN THE KISSER !!! OMG!!! that looks absolutely painful ! Now, look at the Jackass to the left of the picture with the baby, he isn't even TRYING to cover that kid up. Now, look at the guy at the top in the black shirt, the guy is watching the dude get smacked by the bat and he already has a smile on his face. That guy is EVILLLLLLLLLLLL !!!

I know, there's so much to look at in that pic.

I like the lady stuffing her face with popcorn, staring infield, oblivious to the entire situation.

I've got a coworker that says he's friends with Adam Dunn and said he has already told his agent that he wants to be an Astro next year when he becomes a free agent.

This is not the first time we've heard this rumor. We'll see what happens.

My first reaction is no. He strikes out way too much. But I guess he would be a good hitter in the six hole. I'd take that.

What do yall think?

I've got a coworker that says he's friends with Adam Dunn and said he has already told his agent that he wants to be an Astro next year when he becomes a free agent.

This is not the first time we've heard this rumor. We'll see what happens.

My first reaction is no. He strikes out way too much. But I guess he would be a good hitter in the six hole. I'd take that.

What do yall think?

Next year is a ways off, and his current stats aren't that compelling---20thstdad is right, that RISP average is puny. On other hand, we would have someone that outweighs el caballo. :D

True, but he's had over 100 walks the past 5 years, and the OBP is up around .380 most of the time which is good. Batting .236 with runners in scoring position over his career sucks though. Who are we saying he would replace? Not Lee. He can't play center field. Pence could move over to center, Bourn is injury prone and might not be a factor by the time it comes around.

How can you say Bourn is injury prone? Unless I'm missing something, one slight injury, if it's even real, does not make one injury prone. This team would be worse with Dunn. Slower, worse defense, more strikeouts, lower average, there is a reason the Reds are bad and he's a part of it. This offense will be a lot better when Wigginton comes back.

Looks like Oakland is building a new stadium as part of a 'baseball village.' In total it will be 200 acres with a shopping mall, office space, 3,000 housing units and get this...a 32,000 seat stadium. That is a really small stadium. It might end up being really cozy and cool though. What do yall think about that? Pretty bold in my opinion.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1208809670...html?mod=sports

Mr. Wolff's group opted to move 20 miles south and build a new stadium as part of a $1.8 billion "baseball village" in Fremont, Calif. Looks like Oakland isn't builing a new stadium.

Mr. Wolff's group opted to move 20 miles south and build a new stadium as part of a $1.8 billion "baseball village" in Fremont, Calif. Looks like Oakland isn't builing a new stadium.

Right, I meant the Team. I don't think they're changing their name from the Oakland A's to the Fremont A's.

Right, I meant the Team. I don't think they're changing their name from the Oakland A's to the Fremont A's.

Dude, it's Oakland.

34,000 isn't all that small. Means they could sell out more. They've had to share a stadium for so long, and unless it was playoffs, never filled it up. 'Baseball village' sounds horrible. Mixed use, plus baseball? So, I buy my 1.5 million dollar apartment, and for that price I get amenities... like baseball players?

Or just baseball ambience, like parking bullshit and expensive chili dogs?

edit: my bad, 32K stadium. Still plenty big.

Edited by crunchtastic

Dude, it's Oakland.

34,000 isn't all that small. Means they could sell out more. They've had to share a stadium for so long, and unless it was playoffs, never filled it up. 'Baseball village' sounds horrible. Mixed use, plus baseball? So, I buy my 1.5 million dollar apartment, and for that price I get amenities... like baseball players?

Or just baseball ambience, like parking bullshit and expensive chili dogs?

edit: my bad, 32K stadium. Still plenty big.

32K is perfect for the Oakland A's. They just aren't that popular in the Bay Area. They are a distant second in popularity to the Giants. I don't think moving to Fremont is ideal either. Moving further south to San Jose would've allowed them to tap into the Silicon Valley money a bit more. But anything is better than that crappy stadium they share with the Raiders. "Mount Davis" the bleacher seats added for Raider games that they never fill, block what would be a beautiful view of the Oakland Hills. I almost got mugged right outside of Oakland Stadium but that's a whole other story...Oaktown!

woo hoo, 6-2 over da brewers baby!

looks like big papa grande finally found his control. . .

I will be so happy if we win tomorrow for the sweep. (and it might just put us at 500).

Went to the game last night. Outstanding bats! I missed the big 5th inning today, didn't turn on the tv until the 7th, but it looks like we did the same thing all over again. Valverde and Wright continue to impress.

I will be so happy if we win tomorrow for the sweep. (and it might just put us at 500).

Went to the game last night. Outstanding bats! I missed the big 5th inning today, didn't turn on the tv until the 7th, but it looks like we did the same thing all over again. Valverde and Wright continue to impress.

I was at the game Sunday. Great seats. Excellent win. But MAN! Is Chris Sampson not the most painfully slow pitcher? If he has to be that slow at least he could be...oh...I don't know...GOOD?!? But not only is he as slow as molasses. He sucks too.

Great Bullpen work. Great Homer Hunter!

Berkman was 5 for 5 last night. This is the Berkman we know and love. Man it's nice to have Fat Elvis back on track.

Even though their pitching is subpar, this is a fun Astro team to watch. More so then recent years.

Edited by LunaticFringe

• 2 weeks later...

In honor of Lance Berkman becoming a certified bad@$$, here are some facts about Lance Berkman (with apologies to Chuck Norris). They were saying some of these on 610 AM on Monday afternoon:

There are two kinds of people in this world: people who suck, and Lance Berkman.

Lance Berkman can divide by zero.

Lance Berkman sweats Snapple.

Lance Berkman doesn't wear a watch, He decides what time it is.

Children wear Superman pajamas, but Superman wears Lance Berkman pajamas.

Lance Berkman can touch MC Hammer.

Lance Berkman won a staring contest with the Sun.

Lance Berkman swallowed a Rubik's Cube and pooped it out solved.

Lance Berkman plays russian roulette with a fully loded revolver... and wins.

Lance Berkman can kill two stones with one bird.

It is considered a great accomplishment to go down Niagara Falls in a wooden barrel. Lance Berkman can go up Niagara Falls in a cardboard box.

Lance Berkman's dog is trained to pick up his own poop because Lance Berkman will not take s**t from anyone.

Lance Berkman's calendar goes straight from March 31st to April 2nd; no one fools Lance Berkman.

When Lance Berkman jumps in a pool he dosen

Those were awesome, but friggin long! It felt like you were adding them as I was reading them.

How did you remember all those anyway, or are they posted on their website?

I found various websites with Chuck Norris superlatives and changes them to Lance Berkman.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...