A-Rod "opted out" of his contract, therefore it is over. He is a free agent and will get a new contract. He'd definitely not worth $30 mil/year or even $20 IMO. However, watch for the Dodgers to sign Torre as their mgr and A-Rod to a bloated contract.

You really don't think he's worth 20 mil? That's a bargain in my opinion; at least based off his real market value. I think he'd flourish in our "smaller" market.

Wow, cool.

Check out this comment:

"We're getting one of the premier closers in the game,'' Phillies assistant general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said.

I wonder how many other execs would say that too?

What's up w/ Billy? Is he done or is Lidge gonna be the setup guy? That could potentially be a pretty good 1-2 punch.

-----

Oh, this is hilarious. I didn't pay attention to who we got at first. I went back and read it again at the chron, and I just realized I played and roomed w/ Bourn for a summer when we were like 15. He's got great speed and hits to the gaps really well. That was about ten years ago, so I don't know what he's like now, but I'm sure his game is pretty much the same.

Edited by lockmat

Wow, cool.

Check out this comment:

"We're getting one of the premier closers in the game,'' Phillies assistant general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said.

I wonder how many other execs would say that too?

What's up w/ Billy? Is he done or is Lidge gonna be the setup guy? That could potentially be a pretty good 1-2 punch.

-----

Oh, this is hilarious. I didn't pay attention to who we got at first. I went back and read it again at the chron, and I just realized I played and roomed w/ Bourn for a summer when we were like 15. He's got great speed and hits to the gaps really well. That was about ten years ago, so I don't know what he's like now, but I'm sure his game is pretty much the same.

If you mean Wagner, he's been closing for the Mets since 2006.

• 1 month later...

So the first six batters on the Astros rotation will be:

Michael Bourne

Kaz Matsui

Hunter Pence

Lance Berkman

Carlos Lee

Miguel Tejada

That's a pretty dangerous offense right there on paper. And the other two are who, Adam Everett and Loretta, right? It also looks like a solid defense.

-----------------------

They now need at least two star pitchers and a star reliever in order to become a contender, so that's at least three players needed to go along with Roy Oswalt. They'll probably trade Chris Burke for one of those spot.

too bad Luke Scott is gone. We gave up too much for Tejada. Oh well...i hope we concentrate on getting some pitching now..Please don't try to bring back Clemens!!

In other baseball news, pitcher Mark Prior was released by the Cubs. Even though he didn't play at all last season due to surgery on his shoulder at the beginning of that season, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's the Astros' next move since they wouldn't have to give anyone up for him.

In other baseball news, pitcher Mark Prior was released by the Cubs. Even though he didn't play at all last season due to surgery on his shoulder at the beginning of that season, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's the Astros' next move since they wouldn't have to give anyone up for him.

Wow, that is kind of surprising news. It stinks b/c he could have had a great career. Oh well.

But the Astros really do need to address their pitching. Like I heard a caller say this morning, if you don't have pitching, you're still gonna lose games. But instead of it being 1-2 losses, it'll be like 9-8 losses. I don't know if Ed Wade has been there to know that pitching is what wins in the playoffs. The Astros aren't here to just win the division.

yeah i don't really mind what they gave up outside of Patton - Luke was without a spot, so it was good for him to find a new home. Pitching is a huge need though and I don't see what we have left to trade if anything outside of Chris Burke, which would get you about nothing. I don't mind seeing Everett get non tendered, he just could not hit worth anything. I do like that with Loretta coming back, you do have some flexibility on the left side of the infield. Tejada can always move to 3rd, or Loretta can play 2nd if Matsui struggles.

Right now our rotation is what though - Roy, Wandy, Backe, Sampson, and Woody? Not exactly the kind of rotation that you can count on....

Ahhhhhhhh! We're IDIOTS!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5375472.html

What now? I guess just a slap on the wrist? Who's gonna want to cheer for him now? Does time help the forgiving process?

Tejada wasn't a surprise on the Mitchell report though. He was accused for being a steroid user for quite a few years now, so the Astros knew what they were getting, they knew the Mitchell report was coming up a few days after the trade, and the Orioles knew they wouldn't get that much for Tejada in a trade if they tried to trade him after the report. Neither team can lie and say they didn't see it coming.

I like how Wade has come in and changed things up and gave us some offense to win now, but I think we are giving up alot of our young prospects. But I like the trades, at least Wade is not scared of taking chances. Im excited I just hope we can get some pitching. I would say get Prior and Jennings back cheap and see what kind of year they can have, also I think Woody had an off year and will bounce back.

Edited by T 2 THA C

Tejada wasn't a surprise on the Mitchell report though. He was accused for being a steroid user for quite a few years now, so the Astros knew what they were getting, they knew the Mitchell report was coming up a few days after the trade, and the Orioles knew they wouldn't get that much for Tejada in a trade if they tried to trade him after the report. Neither team can lie and say they didn't see it coming.

So what do you think they'll do now?

So what do you think they'll do now?

What else can they do? They knew he was accused BEFORE the Mitchell Report came out, 'cause you wouldn't invest millions of dollars on a player without doing some research first, and Tejada possibly using questionable substances was all over the news a couple years ago when the subject first started to get looked into.

All they'll do at this point is downplay and ignore Tejada's past. Their goal will be to get Astros fans to forget about the Report since they have around 3-4 months to try to put out the HGH fire. To do that, they're still going probably going to make at least 2 more starter pitcher signings since they have their All-Star closer now. I'm pretty sure Mark Prior will be one of them,

What else can they do? They knew he was accused BEFORE the Mitchell Report came out, 'cause you wouldn't invest millions of dollars on a player without doing some research first, and Tejada possibly using questionable substances was all over the news a couple years ago when the subject first started to get looked into.

All they'll do at this point is downplay and ignore Tejada's past. Their goal will be to get Astros fans to forget about the Report since they have around 3-4 months to try to put out the HGH fire. To do that, they're still going probably going to make at least 2 more starter pitcher signings since they have their All-Star closer now. I'm pretty sure Mark Prior will be one of them,

I haven't really been following this ... has Tejeda made a statement either denying, confirming, or keeping silent on the matter?

I haven't really been following this ... has Tejeda made a statement either denying, confirming, or keeping silent on the matter?

He doesn't have to. He's never actually been accused of ever "using" steroids or HGH; he's been accused of "purchasing" HGH from a teammate who's also on the Mitchell Report. I don't know if he's denied "purchasing" it yet, but he can make up any story that he wants to at this point and get away with it. Perhaps he bought HGH for his friend's birthday? Maybe he bought HGH to test it on Britney Spears to see if it would cause any damage to her hair? Perhaps he bought HGH because he thought it would save him 35% on his car insurance?

But the Mitchell Report doesn't state that someone actually injected Tejada like Clements is being accused of, and it doesn't name anyone that actually saw him use it, so he's basically a free man and the Astros have nothing but a little PR to worry about. That's about it. Unless Tejada were to do something dumb and confess that he's used before even though there's no one currently to attest to that...

He doesn't have to. He's never actually been accused of ever "using" steroids or HGH; he's been accused of "purchasing" HGH from a teammate who's also on the Mitchell Report. I don't know if he's denied "purchasing" it yet, but he can make up any story that he wants to at this point and get away with it. Perhaps he bought HGH for his friend's birthday? Maybe he bought HGH to test it on Britney Spears to see if it would cause any damage to her hair? Perhaps he bought HGH because he thought it would save him 35% on his car insurance?

But the Mitchell Report doesn't state that someone actually injected Tejada like Clements is being accused of, and it doesn't name anyone that actually saw him use it, so he's basically a free man and the Astros have nothing but a little PR to worry about. That's about it. Unless Tejada were to do something dumb and confess that he's used before even though there's no one currently to attest to that...

Well, hopefully he's smart enough to be reading this thread.

• 3 months later...

Well, we're 1-2 against the Padres to start the season out. Berkman smashed a towering 3-run homer to win our first game of the season, but Tejada still looks a little cold. Hopefully the bats will heat up a little in Chi-town before opening day at MMP. Anybody goin?

Edited by PuroAztlan

I probably won't be going. Soon I hope though.

I started to think I was kind of falling out of love with baseball until this morning. I overheard Owen Conflenti say the Astros made a comeback so I rushed to the tv, just in time to see Berkman hit his "screaming" home run over the centerfield wall to take the lead, and without even thinking others were still asleep, I yelped a jubilant "yeah!" and then I knew I was back, haha.

I probably won't be going. Soon I hope though. I started to think I was kind of falling out of love with baseball until this morning. I overheard Owen Conflenti say the Astros made a comeback so I rushed to the tv, just in time to see Berkman hit his "screaming" home run over the centerfield wall to take the lead, and without even thinking others were still asleep, I yelped a jubilant "yeah!" and then I knew I was back, haha.

Werd. Even with Tejada on board now I think Fat Elvis is still our best player