Dice-K is one bad mother ____er. The Astros need just one more quality pitcher like him in their roster (let's sell Brad Lidge), but Dice-K is property of the Red Sox.

I get to enjoy Daisuke on NESN, and he didn't pitch as well as he has in spring training. His breaking balls are amazing, and he can place the fastball well. He is isn't overpowering, so I am concerned unless he has great location ie; the Maddux's of the world, he will have a tough time. Overall though his breaking stuff really keeps them off balance so he should do decent.

Also historically these Japanese pitches have really faded from great to eh over the first 5 years, so hopefully he lasts longer. The change in pitching I think has a huge effect on that.

I clicked over to the chron to see how the 'Stros were doing. Man, feels pretty bad losing to the Cards especially seeing how bad the Cards lost against the Mets earlier this week.

I just keep on telling myself "It's still really early in the season" :unsure:

Edited by Houstonian in Iraq

Both the Astros and the Rockets suck like a fool right now. The positive that can come out of it, at least for Astros, is maybe they'll realize early on how desperately they need to fix things. I have tickets for the next Saturday game. Unless they improve and give me a reason to go, that's the only game I'll be attending this season.

Both the Astros and the Rockets suck like a fool right now. The positive that can come out of it, at least for Astros, is maybe they'll realize early on how desperately they need to fix things. I have tickets for the next Saturday game. Unless they improve and give me a reason to go, that's the only game I'll be attending this season.

When in doubt, Go Dynamo :)

Seriously, I do think both teams will improve. Besides, Rockets are a 1/2 game behind the Jazz, and jobs will be on the line soon if the Astros aren't able to turn things around within the next 5 games. Particularly Brad Lidge.

When in doubt, Go Dynamo :)

Seriously, I do think both teams will improve. Besides, Rockets are a 1/2 game behind the Jazz, and jobs will be on the line soon if the Astros aren't able to turn things around within the next 5 games. Particularly Brad Lidge.

You can count on the Dynamo, and the rockets... especially compared to the texans and astros atleasthow this seaosn is going to be.

Looks like the Wheeler move was a good move so far.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Roger Clemens is going to the Yankees. It's now official. I thought he was going with the team he thought had the best chance of making it to the world series. From what I heard, that's Boston.

Big surprise. At least it's over. I hope he and Andy are a big flop. :rolleyes:

clemens always has been and always will be a prostitute when it comes to choosing team. that doesn't mean he isn't a great pitcher, because he is. but he always manages to get what he wants and the stringing along of the astros is just what he loves to do best. i loved this quote he threw out there too:

"You feel like coming back home," said Clemens, who won his only two World Series championships with the Yankees in 1999 and 2000. "And you feel like you're welcomed. You know what it's all about here.

Uh, you were back home. You just didn't care anymore to be there.

some of you will hate me for this but, Clemens said fk Houston a long time ago! As soon as the $ started waving he said see ya suckers later! I'm outta here!

and it will come back and kick him in the asssssssssss which is just what he is.

Laughing all the way to the bank he is.

the joke is still on him since he is so out of shape and downright porkly like in Porky the Pig! Thats right big chunk of blubber. When he's up on the mound he can barely make an inning as he is sweating profusely and struggling to throw the ball. Nearly passes out up there, its scary.

He can now relate to the Springsteen song "Glory Days" about the has-been ball player sings of his best days and now he just sits at a bar boozing it up until he passes out.

Yes, again he just flipped the bird at all of Houston, boy I'm glad i didnt worship that big ole Baby Huey! :lol:

Roger and Andy are way overpaid!! Honestly, i'm glad they weren't here. Just remember Roger cost us game 6 against the Cardinals a couple of years ago. He also lost game 2 of World Series by getting hurt. Andy was horrible last year. My comment to the Yankees is "becareful what you wish".

Now business wise, i don't have a problem with him going to Yanks. You can't turn down 4.5 million/month. My problem was that he was stringing the Astros along for like a whole year or two . I wish he would just come out and say it was the money and the fact that the Yanks are way better than the Astros will be. I'd have more respect for him if he did.

Edited by donnieyen

• 1 month later...

Hi, first time poster, long time Yankees fan. Used to live there. Anyway, we're up 4 games in the standings from just a week ago - and that's before Roger came back. I'm optimistic. Although, truth be told, I'd rather we'd have spent the money on the bullpen instead of Roger's return. Man, I'm a die hard Yankees fan and even I thought the whole "they came and got me..." speech from the boss's private box during the 7th inning stretch was over the top. Come on Roger - just play baseball and leave the drama at home.

• 3 weeks later...

mlb_bagwell_biggio_275.jpg

For Biggio, it's the names, not the numbers

Updated: June 29, 10:18 AM ET

By Jayson Stark

ESPN.com

Three thousand hits.

All of them without ever changing teams, caps or zip codes.

Three thousand hits.

Most of them while toiling as a second baseman -- a position not known for its plethora of 3,000-Hit Club members.

Three thousand hits.

Craig Biggio.

That feat. That name. Now linked forever.

Maybe it didn't take that 3,000th hit Thursday night -- that seventh-inning single off Colorado's brand-new human trivia answer, Aaron Cook -- to make most of America realize that Craig Biggio is an all-time great.

Maybe it didn't take those five hits he got Thursday -- on a night when he became the first player in history to paint a five-hit masterpiece in the game in which he got his 3,000th hit -- to make the inhabitants of this planet comprehend that this fellow is a no-doubt-about-it Hall of Famer.

But why do we have that feeling that about 97 percent of the non-Texans in our audience only came to that realization about two weeks ago?

There just seems to be something about this guy that makes him semi-invisible to humans who don't speak with a drawl. So this day -- the day of Craig Biggio's 3,000th hit -- just fit right into the fabric of a way-too-peaceful career.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...&id=2920433

More at the link. This is a great night/day for Houston sports. Bidge is a first ballot Hall of Famer for sure. I wish I was at the game, but saw it on FSN. Was anyone there? How was it inside?

I almost got choked up watching it when his family and later Jeff Bagwell went on to the field. I wish I had been there. I'm going Wednesday, but there's no chance he wouldn't have gotten it by then.

On TV the game looked like it had the atmosphere of a playoff game. The only way it could have ended better would have been for Craig Biggio to make that walk-off grand slam and on top of that have that be his 3000th. Could you imagine that? It was great, though.

i have tickets through the weekend. wish i was there last night though. 5 hits in one game, didn't see that coming!

friends that were there said it was amazing everytime he was up to bat, though many left after #3000, so that atmosphere was gone by the time it got to extra innings. maybe they can use this as a turning point and string some wins together. it would be great to be close to .500 before the all star break.

• 4 weeks later...

Craig Biggio, who reached baseball immortality earlier this year when he reached 3,000 career hits, will announce in a press conference this afternoon at Minute Maid Park that he will retire following the 2007 season.

Biggio, 41, has played his entire 20-year career with the Astros and last month became the 27th player in the history of baseball to reach 3,000 hits. He's in sixth place on the all-time doubles list with 661 and has hit more doubles than any righthanded player in history.

Biggio had his playing time reduced at the All-Star break, but will continue to start most of the team's games at home. Unless the Astros make the playoffs, his final game will be Sept. 30 against the Atlanta Braves at Minute Maid Park.

full article