• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After 56 seasons, they did it. THE ASTROS ARE WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!!!!  Now, they can redesign the Crawford St wall once more to include a place of honor for the World Series banner.

since I was on a self imposed world series watch ban, I snapped this last night around the 7th inning.  

Posted Images

I would like to watch, but I refuse to get C**pcast, and my liver (and Director of Domestic Bliss) wouldn't be happy with me hanging out in bars that much.  

For a better update on the legal battles than one gets from the daily fishwrap, view this.  John Royal, who blogs about the Astros for the Press, is also a lawyer, so he actually understands what's going on at the courthouse and describes it accurately.

Thanks for that link. I'm not holding out much hope I will ever see them with my Dish network. 

I would like to watch, but I refuse to get C**pcast, and my liver (and Director of Domestic Bliss) wouldn't be happy with me hanging out in bars that much.  

For a better update on the legal battles than one gets from the daily fishwrap, view this.  John Royal, who blogs about the Astros for the Press, is also a lawyer, so he actually understands what's going on at the courthouse and describes it accurately.

Thanks for that link. I'm not holding out much hope I will ever see them with my Dish network. 

I gave up on Dish ages ago, back when they would end Astros games whenever the schedule said they would end, extra innings and rain delays be hanged.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Good win last night against last year's AL Cy Young award winner. Who got it started? None other than your AL Batting Champion Jose Altuve. Keuchel looked great with 7 strong innings. Naturally my expectations are heavily tempered again this year, but for once I think the Astros have really made some moves to be a competitive team. 

I'm still impatient for Correa and Appel to come up, but maybe they'll be promoted to triple A ball this summer. 

• Like 1

Cosign to all of the above posts.  Last night was the first time I had watched an Astros opening night game in ages. 

This team feels special.  The '06-'14 Astros would've LOST last night's game late 2-0 instead of the other way around.  You didn't see the lapse in focus or concession to pressure that is typical of young or bad teams engaged in pitchers' duels.  The crowd was really into the game and the buzz in the stadium felt optimistic. 

What I really liked is that the media has predicted tons of homers and strikeouts, but we won last night with small ball.  Exciting times.

I was at Opening Night yesterday. Was a beautiful evening for baseball. The pitching was really good on both sides. It seemed both teams were holding back the bats a bit, but the Astros really worked for the win. Good game overall.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, they just beat the Rangers a few minutes ago. I'm afraid with only 16 games left and three other teams in front of them for a wild card slot, it's probably too little, too late, but I'll gladly eat those words if I'm proven wrong. They've been playing catch-up all season after a God-awful April, and the starting pitching just hasn't been there.

But we weren't supposed to win the WS until 2017, so by that yardstick we're right on schedule. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
6 hours ago, houstontexasjack said:

After 56 seasons, they did it. THE ASTROS ARE WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!!!!  Now, they can redesign the Crawford St wall once more to include a place of honor for the World Series banner.

Better leave space for some more, this team has the chops to make a run for a few years! So happy for the team and the city, we've been waiting a loooong time for this!

• Like 3

It's like something has to be counterbalanced with these things. There was one tweet I read where someone was like "Wow, the Cubs won the World Series. I guess Donald Trump will be elected President, then", whereas in Houston, the Astros winning the World Series is compensation for Hurricane Harvey.

4 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Anyone downtown for the celebrations? What were Discovery Green, Main Street, etc. like?

Crazy Crazy Crazy - but in a fun, non-descructive way which was very refreshing - no burning trash cans, burning cars, etc (at least none that I saw !!)

EDIT:  I just read there were 4 arrests, still not too bad

Edited by HoustonMidtown
  • Like 2

I saw my first Astros game in June 1967 - it only took 50 years for me to see a World Series win.

I was somewhat surpised (not sure why) to hear that Dodger Stadium is the third oldest venue in MLB after Fenway and Wrigley. That's the best indicator yet of how many old stadiums were replaced, some a couple of times.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, samagon said:

I didn't see anything, but got to be in a group of a bunch of people yelling.

And HISD cancelled classes for this?

Ft. Bend ISD was open and teaching students

katy ISD was open and teaching students

humble ISD was open and teaching  students

spring Branch ISD was open and teaching students.

IMO, HISD should be ashamed that they failed their students again.

Edited by UtterlyUrban
1 hour ago, UtterlyUrban said:

And HISD cancelled classes for this?

Ft. Bend ISD was open and teaching students

katy ISD was open and teaching students

humble ISD was open and teaching  students

spring Branch ISD was open and teaching students.

IMO, HISD should be ashamed that they failed their students again.

Reports said close to 1,000 teachers and bus drivers in HISD called out for Friday. http://www.houstonpress.com/news/houston-isd-cancels-school-on-friday-because-of-astros-world-series-parade-and-celebration-9928359

Kind of wish they hadn't canceled classes cause then there'd have been less people there and I may have been able to see something.

I did wonder over to city hall after going back to the office to check email, and got a glimpse of the trophy from about 50 yards. 

It was cool though, and in all reality, as far as the party poopers who are disappointed school was canceled. The day will be made up, the schools don't want to lose that funding, and it's an event that happens rarely, life enrichment. 56 years from now when the Astros win another pennant maybe some of these kids who went today will bring their grandchildren to the next one.

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...