Some people seem to love Pence, but something about the way he plays he just looks awkward. He throws like a 7 year old whose dad never taught him the right way. He runs weird too.

Yeah, he is really awkward looking. But some how he runs the bases and covers outfield. And his throws get in, i remember him having plenty of outfield assists early on when I was paying more attention. But i agree it looks goofy.

I haven't been out this year, but will at some point. I wanted to go to bring your dog day (did that with the aeros and my pup loved it though he was scared when they came crashing in to the boards) but that was last weekend and i missed it due to the MS150.

But yeah, i assumed this was a lost season. but you never know in baseball. Central is not that strong but are chances are slim...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After 56 seasons, they did it. THE ASTROS ARE WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!!!!  Now, they can redesign the Crawford St wall once more to include a place of honor for the World Series banner.

since I was on a self imposed world series watch ban, I snapped this last night around the 7th inning.  

Posted Images

What do yall think of a Hines co-owner being part of the new Astros ownership group? Will he want to put more buildings in the line of sight from the stadium seats? I'm sure he will keep level headed but I'm sure there might be a tiny bit of influence.

Will Galtney and Jeff Hines

Galtney is the chariman of Galtney Enterprises, Cedar Equities, Oxford Insurance Services, and Gessner Holdings, LLC and is involved in insurance brokerage. Hines is the president, co-owner and CEO of Hines, a privately owned international real-estate firm founded by and named for his father, Gerald D. Hines. The company was founded in 1957 and is responsible for many local landmarks, including the Galleria, Williams Tower, the JPMorgan Chase Tower, Pennzoil Place and One Shell Plaza.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2011/05/16/report-prominent-houstonians-part-of-group-to-by-astros/

What do yall think of a Hines co-owner being part of the new Astros ownership group? Will he want to put more buildings in the line of sight from the stadium seats? I'm sure he will keep level headed but I'm sure there might be a tiny bit of influence.

I don't know what his angle would be. He probably just really likes baseball.

The more I read about Crane, the more I already miss Drayton.

Also, has anyone seen how much debt is being floated to "buy" the team? It's around $300 million for a team that reportedly only brought in $14 million last season. The numbers that are public so far don't seem to add up. Is MLB trying to help inflate the value of a major league franchise? Nah, couldn't be.

I don't know what his angle would be. He probably just really likes baseball.

Yeah, I think he just really likes baseball, too. But I'm just curious if it's possible that building a high-rise that would be in all stadium shots and seen from the stadium could by a byproduct of being part owner. Hey, he's a human, too, and it's possible that he make slightly emotional decisions. This could be one of them ;p

• 4 months later...

I'd love to see the Astros and Rangers in the same division:

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2011/10/12/houston-astros-heading-to-american.html

Houston Astros heading to American League?

by Emily Wilkinson

October 12, 2011

... the key area of dispute in recent weeks has been the proposed American League move.

A move to the American League would put the Astros in the same league as intrastate rival Texas Rangers...

Here's another article about the proposed move:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2011-10-12/astros-potential-owner-disputes-reports-of-move-to-al

Edited by tamtagon
  • 1 month later...

Drayton started this mess by firing Hunsicker.

I know I can't blame him for the retirement of Bagz and Bidge.. But I can blame crap management for putting us in the situation which forced us to then trade away anyone else we fans might care about.

Our senior statesmen (6 yrs) are Wandy, who will be traded soon and a fat poopy head, slow, overpaid outfielder ( 4 yrs ). The rest of our teams is a bunch of nobodies.

Crane sold us out.

And his BS response in the chronicle on saturday.. " I had no choice, I couldn't have purchased the team without the switch..." THEN don't buy the team poopy headhole !!!

Crane doesn't own the Astros. Drayton didn't own the Astros.

Houston owns the astros. We pay to see the show.. without the fans, there's be no revenue.

I could care two about a forced rivalry with the Rangers. We belong with the Cubs and the Cardinals.

Now we get to stay up to midnight to finish watching away games in Seattle, Oakland, and Anaheim.. teams I could care less about.

The solution to evening out the leagues, based on geography and former affiliation, would be to move Milwaukee back to the AL. If the AL west is too far for them, put them in the central, and put KC in the west.. which is just as far west as us, and a a helluva lot closer to Seattle then us.

I used to go to 15-20 games a season,but no more. Astros are dead to me.

the business model is to keep the payroll as low as possible and get the shared TV and merchandising revenue from the league. If the AAstros win a few games, it's a bonus.

The AAstros have a history of trading away the best players on the team and getting Mark Lemongellos in hopes of building something, which never works out. I'm surprised that Biggio and Bagwell were on the team as long as they were!

The AAstros are a schedule filling team, always have been, always will be.

• 2 weeks later...

I never understood why Selig thought it was such a problem having unbalanced leagues. It's been that way since 1977 and the world hasn't ended yet. Now they have to find a way to have an interleague game every day just so the schedules will work. I also think it's a cheap trick to add another round of playoffs just to sell an additional set of tickets. If MLB doesn't care about it's fans they oughtn't care about it.

• 1 month later...

"Starting in the 2012 season, more than 5,000 seats at Minute Maid Park will have lower prices than in 2011. Adult ticket prices in the outfield deck will be reduced from $7 to $5, and children’s tickets will be $1.

Field box prices will drop from $41 to $29, and seats in a new club level will cost $35, including food credits, down from $46."

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2012/01/houston-astros-aim-to-win-fans-with.html

Hopefully we can get more fans in the seats, people in downtown and continue to attract more developments in the area.

"Starting in the 2012 season, more than 5,000 seats at Minute Maid Park will have lower prices than in 2011. Adult ticket prices in the outfield deck will be reduced from $7 to $5, and children’s tickets will be $1.

Field box prices will drop from $41 to $29, and seats in a new club level will cost $35, including food credits, down from $46."

http://www.bizjourna...-fans-with.html

Hopefully we can get more fans in the seats, people in downtown and continue to attract more developments in the area.

And then it will go up again by 2013.

They were $5 not to long ago, maybe 2008.

Oh well.

You can also bring your own food, as long as it is in a clear plastic bag. They're also considering changing the team name (idiotic).

I don't have a problem with them changing the name. Allowing people to bring food is long overdue. I bought weekend season tickets for the Astros for years, but I finally got fed up with the prices, stupid canned 'entertainment', and forced searches for smuggled forbidden food in the name of 'security'. On top of all that, I'm none too please about the move to the AL. It's about time that baseball started giving a thought to the fans if they want to win people like me back.

Nickg, I hope the name change doesn't happen, but the Khou article says its a serious consideration. Whatever the uniforms look like, I hope they have classic and edgy elements.

We'll see what plays out. Truth is I would continue to go either way.

What are other pro teams that have changed their names, Washington Bullets?

It'll feel like we're throwing out our entire history with the name change. Or maybe not. What's the point of doing it anyway, simply to start fresh??? I think food and uniform changes is enough. I don't see a need to change the name.

It'll feel like we're throwing out our entire history with the name change. Or maybe not. What's the point of doing it anyway, simply to start fresh??? I think food and uniform changes is enough. I don't see a need to change the name.

I really don't think they will change it so I am not getting that worked up about it but I agree that it does seem like throwing away history. I have heard several stories and read several articles about the reasoning they would want to and the ones that stuck in my mind for one reason or another were that they were named after the Astrodome and they no longer play there, the potential reduction of NASA in Houston, and that the history they are throwing away is a history of losing.

Edited by Nick_G

I really don't think they will change it so I am not getting that worked up about it but I agree that it does seem like throwing away history. I have heard several stories and read several articles about the reasoning they would want to and the ones that stuck in my mind for one reason or another were that they were named after the Astrodome and they no longer play there, the potential reduction of NASA in Houston, and that the history they are throwing away is a history of losing.

A coworker said they were talking about this on the country music radio stations and one of the reasons people were upset is because they have star or "Astros" tattoos, haha.

The history of losing is a bad reason imo. Every team goes through droughts and they don't change their name to try and change things around. Astros have only lost very recently. Historically, they've done very well.

Despite what you've heard, I still don't understand Crane's reasoning for doing this. They don't make sense. Seems more like he just wants to leave his mark. Isn't he from Houston?

A coworker said they were talking about this on the country music radio stations and one of the reasons people were upset is because they have star or "Astros" tattoos, haha.

The history of losing is a bad reason imo. Every team goes through droughts and they don't change their name to try and change things around. Astros have only lost very recently. Historically, they've done very well.

Despite what you've heard, I still don't understand Crane's reasoning for doing this. They don't make sense. Seems more like he just wants to leave his mark. Isn't he from Houston?

They're all bad reasons. I have a feeling it's just a publicity stunt to get people talking about the Astros, and if that is the case, it has worked.

The Phillies went through a phase as the Bluejays, and for a while in the 1950s the Reds were the Redlegs, so people wouldn't assume they were Communists. The NY Jets changed their name from the Titans.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's not a bad idea to change names to go into the AL. To me the Astros are always an NL franchise. Plus the name 'Astros' is a bit dated.

The Phillies went through a phase as the Bluejays, and for a while in the 1950s the Reds were the Redlegs, so people wouldn't assume they were Communists. The NY Jets changed their name from the Titans.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's not a bad idea to change names to go into the AL. To me the Astros are always an NL franchise. Plus the name 'Astros' is a bit dated.

I heard someone else saying they thought the Astros name is dated. Am I just used to the name so I haven't noticed?

At least it was always in Houston and makes historical sense, unlike teams such as the Utah Jazz.

Edited by Nick_G

Jim Crane addressed the fans concern over the possible Astros name change, saying the outpouring of fan mail has been overwhelming and the Astros will remain the Astros.

http://houston.astro...7609543863-1032

So, Jim Crane got everyone talking about the Astros just long enough that there were real emotions felt for the team and for the first time in a while the conversations were not associated with "could this be the worst season for an mlb team ever". He has now put an end to it before people start hating him from the get go.

Maybe there is hope for the Astros under him just yet.

This just shows how short attention spans of fans...or maybe just Houstonians...are. Of all of the MLB teams added during expansion (from 1961 to the present), the Houston Astros have the 2nd highest win total, and 4th highest winning percentage. And, until last season's epic collapse, they had the highest winning percentage of all 14 expansion teams. That is better than Arizona, Florida, and most recently, the Texas Rangers.

• Like 2

This just shows how short attention spans of fans...or maybe just Houstonians...are. Of all of the MLB teams added during expansion (from 1961 to the present), the Houston Astros have the 2nd highest win total, and 4th highest winning percentage. And, until last season's epic collapse, they had the highest winning percentage of all 14 expansion teams. That is better than Arizona, Florida, and most recently, the Texas Rangers.

I agree with you, we even won the pennant in 2005, that was not that long ago. Trying to think in that mentality it might be because there are groups of people who believe if you don't win a championship you don't have a winning team. I wouldn't go as far as say it's only Houstonians that do that but I do think we lack the community team support when compared with areas like Boston or Chicago, who didn't win world series from 1918 to 2004 or are still waiting for a third for almost twice as long as the Astros have even been around, respectively. I'm really hoping Crane can get people in the stands and we can start building momentum and community around the team. Baseball is not the same in front of the TV you really need to be there with a bunch of friends.

Edited by Nick_G

The Superbowl is over, the Mannings have another trophy for their already cluttered mantel.

Looking forward to baseball season (where we could use some more clutter) and since this is a community environment.

I would like to point out the astros.com season ticket partner zone, which is a free service that allows you to get in touch with others who would be interested in sharing season tickets.

http://houston.astro...ex.jsp?c_id=hou

Edited by Nick_G

MLB needs more teams!!

Working with the assumption that this is a real comment.

The MLB has 30 teams which compares well with the NFL at 32 and the NBA at 30.

Why do you believe there should be more teams and what markets would you target?

In answering this before, I forgot the obvious response: the Astros started out as the Colt .45s! In the major leagues, Tampa Bay recently shortened their name, and a number of teams renamed when they relocated. So there are precedents for franchise name changes. I kind of wish the Astros had gone through with it.

Also lost in the shuffle is that they are considering changes to Tal's Hill, which I assume means the elimination of it.

Never gave it much thought myself, although I do know people who absolutely despise it for being too much of an obvious obstacle, like on a miniature golf course.

MLB needs more teams!!

There are plenty of teams as it is. If anything, I have always thought it would be a good idea to institute a system of relegation and promotion. Demote the two or three worst teams to the minors every year, and promote the best performing minor league teams. It would keep’em all on their toes. Of course, the major league teams would scream bloody murder so it would never happen.

In answering this before, I forgot the obvious response: the Astros started out as the Colt .45s! In the major leagues, Tampa Bay recently shortened their name, and a number of teams renamed when they relocated. So there are precedents for franchise name changes. I kind of wish the Astros had gone through with it.

What name would you have gone with?

I am in the camp (it may only have my tent) that I do not like the Houston Texans name because it is not really Houston specific. I wish they were the Oilers. Naming the NFL team the Texans just gives whoever is watching them play the generic Texas brand promotion.

I ask those who are reading this thread, what is the generic Texas brand that the Texans promote when they play?

Edited by Nick_G
  • 2 months later...

I was listening to an Astros game this week and the team was wearing their original Colt 45 uniforms, in celebration of 50 years as a franchise. A caller was talking to the broadcaster who was intervieing Bob Aspermonte at that moment, and the caller mentioned that "he had been a fan since the Colts first game at Buff Stadium". I was shocked that neither the broadcaster nor Bob Aspermonte corrected him. Maybe they were just being repsectful or did the Colt's ever play a game at Buff (Busch) stadium? Can someone clarify this? I was under the impression that all Colt 45 home games were played at Colt Stadium on North Stadium Drive.

According to my book "Colt 45's, A Six Gun Salute", the Colts never played at Buff Stadium. Their first game in April 62 was at the quickly built Colt Stadium, which was of course only a temporary stadium until the Dome could be completed.

No matter how bad the Astros sucked it today, at least our uniforms aren't as bad as those new Florida outfits.

You have to look really hard to see it's not a rainbow sombrero masquerading as an "M." Even worse than the chiclet-era San Antonio Spurs, which set a standard for bad ideas in major league branding.

I just got back from Miami.

The new Miami Marlins uniforms and logos fit in quite nicely with the new Marlins Park and the entire city. Colorful, a bit gaudy, and completely unique.

My complaints about the series;

1) Energy dance team? Really? A coed cheer squad at a baseball game?

2) If we were going to have to lose on a walk-off on Friday night, then that damn ball should have gone over the wall so I could have seen the marlin/dolphin/flamingo art/water cannon display.

2a) I didn't attend Sundays game so I never got to see that damn thing go off