I'd be ok with Bags as a pinch hitter, not an everyday player though. Also, keep in mind that if he comes in as a pinch hitter you're either putting Berkman on the bench or moving him to the outfield and bringing somebody else in. Would you really want Berkman going back to the bench or switching positions mid-game that often? He needs to stay in the lineup and healthy.

I think Berkman's natural position is First Base. But let's see how Bags feels physically when he gets back in uniform. I think he will be a dominant player this year. Get the right teammate by him, and he'll have CRAZY RBI numbers I think

Bagwell restructured his contract years ago to help the team. It's not his fault the 'Stros backloaded his salary so that he was making journeyman money during his star years and windfall during his decline. Now you are saying he should just give up 17 million to help the team? Would you? I know it's a "what have you done for me lately" society, but Bagwell deserves every penny he is guaranteed this upcoming year whether he can help the team or not.

I agree with giving Bags a chance to comeback and play. I believe its the least the Stros can do for all his years of service and great memories. Having said that, I also believe that if he dose not play well at all, he should do the club a favor and retire. Relieving them of his contract and giving them a chance to go out and get a bat or starting pitcher.

I agree with this. If he's healthy, give him a shot. But if he can't perform, I don't think we should keep him out there because we "owe" it to him. That's not the way you win championships. You win championships by having the best players on the field. If Bags isn't one of the best, he shouldn't play.

Agreed. It's a cruel world out there when you're making $17 mill. I doubt that Bagwell will regain the strength he used to have before they toughened up steroid testing. That being said, I think the team can afford him another year, plus he is still a big draw for fans, which counts for something.

What's next should be nothing. All that's left out there is retreads in free agency. Anything else will come in a trade with a steep price tag.

We made it to the World Series with the team we have right now minus Clemens. If anything, we need to be worried about starting pitching again, not trying to get a hitter. We have a number of guys right on the cusp of stardom. Why trade Burke, Lamb or Lane when either of the three could be the one that has their breakout year?

What's next should be nothing. All that's left out there is retreads in free agency. Anything else will come in a trade with a steep price tag.

We made it to the World Series with the team we have right now minus Clemens. If anything, we need to be worried about starting pitching again, not trying to get a hitter. We have a number of guys right on the cusp of stardom. Why trade Burke, Lamb or Lane when either of the three could be the one that has their breakout year?

That's just the thing, though. We use the same team from last year minus Clements AND minus anyone to help Oswalt, Backe, and Pettitte, and use the same players that added up to one of the worst offenses in the MLB last year, and you're only running with the HOPE that one of the current players will step up as a power hitter with no insurance. Granted we made it to the World Series last year, but as we lost Clements, at least 10 other teams out there bolstered and improved their bullpens and bats.

Not saying we can't win the World Series next year with the current team, but it's extremely risky, players will have to become stars, stars will have to become superstars, and Garner will have to be extremely careful to just get the team to the playoffs...

That's just the thing, though. We use the same team from last year minus Clements AND minus anyone to help Oswalt, Backe, and Pettitte, and use the same players that added up to one of the worst offenses in the MLB last year, and you're only running with the HOPE that one of the current players will step up as a power hitter with no insurance. Granted we made it to the World Series last year, but as we lost Clements, at least 10 other teams out there bolstered and improved their bullpens and bats.

Not saying we can't win the World Series next year with the current team, but it's extremely risky, players will have to become stars, stars will have to become superstars, and Garner will have to be extremely careful to just get the team to the playoffs...

Are any of those 10 teams you mentioned the Cubs or Cards? Last I checked, St Louis lost Matt Morris already, and neither team is lighting up the free agency wire. Same goes for the Brewers. Unless you think the Reds are due for a breakout season, we should have no problem keeping our head above water in the central next year with the current roster, giving us time to evaluate talent for midseason aquisitions. Something you left out is our offense last year was without a healthy Berkman for much of the year, a healthy Berkman alone will drive up the offensive numbers next year.

Are any of those 10 teams you mentioned the Cubs or Cards? Last I checked, St Louis lost Matt Morris already, and neither team is lighting up the free agency wire. Same goes for the Brewers. Unless you think the Reds are due for a breakout season, we should have no problem keeping our head above water in the central next year with the current roster, giving us time to evaluate talent for midseason aquisitions. Something you left out is our offense last year was without a healthy Berkman for much of the year, a healthy Berkman alone will drive up the offensive numbers next year.

The goal now is to no longer win the division. The goal is to win the World Series. The Cubs and Cards will have their own issues (Cards still have a pretty good lineup), but I'm worried about the Astros being the best team in baseball and not getting swept in the World Series in 06. Proud of the Stros in 05, but it's time the team takes it to the next level next year

Whoa there cowboy, first things first. Win the division or win the wildcard, then talk World Series trophy.

IMO, we have a good chance at winning the division next year with our current roster. With all the suffering Houston collectively talked about in the World Series, we forget that we ripped St. Louis' heart out and handed it back to them on a silver platter in the NLCS. Some teams never come back from that, and I think the Cards will be done by July 1. That leaves the Cubs, Brewers and Reds. Cubs will be the Cubs, I think the Brewers were a fluke, leaving the Reds as our major divisional challenger next year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Haven't missed opening day since coming back to Houston in 2002.

Didn't think I was going to be able to this yr, so late tickets just got me SRO.. but standing at the rail under the pump with a glove on one hand and a shiner in the other.. can't beat that.

i spent 8 hours on that railing at the NLDS game 4 last year, best game of my life (too bad they don't start selling beer again for extra innings).

i can't make the Astros opener, but i do plan on supporting the new guys in town.

the Dynamo are reporting low ticket sales, i'll be there Sunday.

Edited by skwatra

i spent 8 hours on that railing at the NLDS game 4 last year, best game of my life (too bad they don't start selling beer again for extra innings).

i can't make the Astros opener, but i do plan on supporting the new guys in town.

the Dynamo are reporting low ticket sales, i'll be there Sunday.

Serves the !#%@!@ right.

I was all for supporting them and looking forward to going to some games till they caved in and changed the name.

Viva 1836 !!

i'll be ther up in the cheap seats too, 408 i think. At the risk of thread-jacking i hate theat the 1836 changed the name too especially with whats going on with all these immigrants protesting for rights they don't deserve. and alot of the naturalized hispanics are running around waving mexican flags. ridiculous

and don't get me started on that principal at Eisenhower who raised the Mexican flag on the flagpole. He should already be fired!!!

at any rate go Astros!!!!

Back to the Astros...

For years I bought partial season tickets like the weekend game packages. Eventually though I got a little burned out on the games. They last way too long, and it's mainly because of the long inning breaks that are filled with canned entertainment: the cartoon races, the singalongs, ceremonial first pitches by local car dealers, weather reports, attendance quizzes etc etc etc. I realize this isn't specific to the Astros, but I really think MLB would do better to try relatively short, focused, baseball games, rather than "total entertainment experiences" that last 3 hours plus.

So no, I won't be going to opening day. Don't have the patience.

Sudude, I went to Wrigly Field and Fenway last year. Those two stadiums are still old school the way baseball was meant to be played. No rock in between innings (just an old fashion organ at Wrigly), no stupid cartoons, no Hummer races, and no stupid guessing which hat the ball is in.

Edited by ToolMan

yeah, but the game still takes too long, especially between pitches. but that's the way the game is played, and its not going to change.

i really couldn't handle watching non-playoff baseball unless i'm with friends and drinking.

Well, now opening day for the 'Stros is SRO, so I am SOL ! :lol:

Sudude, I went to Wrigly Field and Fenway last year. Those two stadiums are still old school the way baseball was meant to be played. No rock in between innings (just an old fashion organ at Wrigly), no stupid cartoons, no Hummer races, and no stupid guessing which hat the ball is in.

He's right Subdude, at Fenway you just watch the Irish hoodlum drunks fighting in the stands between innings and pitches, and the 7th inning stretch. :D

Edited by TJones

• 2 weeks later...

Post here all things Astros in 2006.

Does anyone know if Orlando Palmeiro has Tourette's syndrome or OCD? With that said, I think he's one of the cutest Astros. Watching him bat is like a simple pleasure to me. Sort of like the sensation of the first bite of parsley or eating steak fries.

Hey, Orlando's batting. Gather 'round!

Post here all things Astros in 2006.

Does anyone know if Orlando Palmeiro has Tourette's syndrome or OCD? With that said, I think he's one of the cutest Astros. Watching him bat is like a simple pleasure to me. Sort of like the sensation of the first bite of parsley or eating steak fries.

Hey, Orlando's batting. Gather 'round!

I could have gone all day without this bit of information Kimberly ! :blink::lol:

Edited by TJones

You could have, but fortunately for you, it was only mid-day.

You're welcome.

That was a serious question, by the way. I know Orlando doesn't have Tourette's. I was just trying to be funny. But I think he might have OCD or something. Anyway, I like his quirks. I hope he gets to bat tonight.

49207018_c09a4ce5cd_m.jpg

Edited by KimberlySayWhat

You keep saying Tourette's and OCD ? Are you referring to when he is in the batter's box and has to adjust his crotch about 82 times before he comes to the plate. That is just a Latin thing, don't worry about that. He is perfectly fine . ;):D

Edited by TJones

I'm not talking about strap adjusting. I'm talking about when he's at the plate, he does all these quirky things that look involuntary. Watch his eyebrows and his hands. He's always wiping his forehead with his hands as if he's brushing the bangs out of his face or wiping sweat. Only he has no bangs and if it's sweat, sweat beads wouldn't have had time to build up on his forehead as frequently as he wipes it. He kind of reminds me of a spider monkey. Don't tell me you've never noticed. I can't be the only one who watches in fascination when Orlando's at the bat.