The study, the first of its kind, assessed a variety of blog posts and comments, message-board chatter and tweets from April 4 through April 25.

Ok now this makes sense. The Astros started 0-8, of course they would have the most negative "chatter" during that time period. They shouldn't be allowed to call this a study or put numbers to it.

• 1 month later...

Or because he was a 'roided up douche? The Astros should have shopped Berkman last year. He's past his prime now and they need young talent in a bad way.

I would love to see Berkman stay in an Astros uniform ala Biggio and Bagwell,but I believe Berkman and Oswalt deserve to go somewhere they can contend while the Stros rebuild.

Who knows, maybe he really wasn't nice. He always seemed like a nice guy on camera.

Don't know if he was on roids or not, but would not be surprised if he was.

Bagwell and the question of steroids

I'd say have to agree with Justice. Is it possible he did yes(Steroids Era in Baseball) But compared to players like Clemens and Bonds Jeff seemed small to me especially standing next to Clemens.

Also what y'all think about the Astros draft picks? I like them considering the top 3 expect to sign.

A closer look at the Astros' picks

Top picks hope to sign with 'Stros

First-round picks inclined to sign

The Astros pick 32 players through day two

Edited by T 2 THA C

Also what y'all think about the Astros draft picks? I like them considering the top 3 expect to sign.

A closer look at the Astros' picks

Top picks hope to sign with 'Stros

First-round picks inclined to sign

The Astros pick 32 players through day two

I'm not a fan of the first round pick because he's an LSU recruit. I'm hoping he decides the ladies in college are better than on the minor league bus tour for a few years.

I'm not a fan of the first round pick because he's an LSU recruit. I'm hoping he decides the ladies in college are better than on the minor league bus tour for a few years.

Is that because LSU is a bad school, has bad recruiting or because Deshields Jr is not a good player to begin with?

Seems to have a good chance at being a good ball player.

Like father, like son?

Astros win on Lee 10th Inning Slam

Also update on draft signings

Astros sign eight more draft picks

Is that because LSU is a bad school, has bad recruiting or because Deshields Jr is not a good player to begin with?

Seems to have a good chance at being a good ball player.

No it's because I went to LSU, and because we had a bad year by our standards and need more talent.

• 1 month later...

Still not signed yet, though Wade seems confident and annoyed.

DeShields still not signed with Astros

Also Roy O officially traded to Phillies.

It’s tough to leave Houston

IMO think its good for both Roy O and the Astros. I hope he wins a ring this year and the Astros keep the rebuilding train rolling. I wonder if Berkman will be next?

Acquisition of Wallace doesn't bother Berkman

I was at the game with the Cubs the other night and I swear that there were more Chicago fans in the stands than Houston fans. The place erupted with cheers and clapping when the Cubs hit a home run.

I seems to me that the Astros did not even play baseball this year.

I was at the game with the Cubs the other night and I swear that there were more Chicago fans in the stands than Houston fans. The place erupted with cheers and clapping when the Cubs hit a home run.

I seems to me that the Astros did not even play baseball this year.

The Astros fan base is really, really pathetic. But I can't really blame them, there is barely any history of success and the front office is typically a joke. It's like a manager death sentence to get a job here.

I'm not even an Astros fan, but seeing Oswalt and Berkman go is a pretty sad day. I guess Carlos Lee is now free to just get fatter and stop trying. Who else is left? At least it seems to have lit a fire under Wandy's arse, he's been on the last 2 starts.

The Astros have come to terms with Delino Deshields Jr their highest pick since Phil Nevin was taken 1st overall in 1992.

Astros come to terms with top pick

Astros, Deshields agree on contract

Also Astros have been streaking as of late. I must say it definitely is a nice change from the beginning of the season when I could not even watch a game!!! I feel like I'm back in 2001 watching Roy O, Octavio Dotel, Tim Redding, Adam Everett, Julio Jugo, and Lance Berkman. Angel Sanchez almost hit a cycle last night and had 6 RBIs for the Astros 7th straight!!!

Sanchez powers streaking Astros in rout

Astros rout Cards 18-4 behind Norris, Sanchez

• 8 months later...

Even in years past when it has seemed the team would be bad, people have shown up pretty well for the first few series. I was at opening day and went again today, and there isn't any crowd to speak of. Opening day attendance says 41,042 but there is no way it was that full. Today was nice, I rolled up with the 1 year old halfway through the game and sat down near home plate in the shade. I kind of like that no one is there, it makes it easier to move around and a 5 seat buffer is key when the 1 year old wants to climb and explore. Also, it doesn't get too loud and scare him.

So, with the team obviously for sale, is this a lost year? Or are some of the unknown players in the lineup young guns who will mature into the next solid players? If you look at it they aren't even that young, just unknown. Bourgeous is 29, Downs 27, Sanchez 28. Some people seem to love Pence, but something about the way he plays he just looks awkward. He throws like a 7 year old whose dad never taught him the right way. He runs weird too.

Despite the fact that my BF has a man-crush on Pence, geez he hacks at the plate. I thought Bagwell swung at some awful stuff, but he's met his match in #9. We were at the Cubs series last week. Ridiculous--maybe 20,000 in the park for a major road team. If Hall and Sanchez stay healthy, we might have two occasionally successful hitters.

Ugh.

This team is pretty awful, and there aren't many hopes of getting too much better any time soon. With Drayton obviously trying to sell the team, he doesn't care about the performance right now, only getting as much money as he can for the team. So you are probably right, this is a lost season. Hopefully our new owner will spend on some good players. I always said that Mark Cuban would be a great owner for the Astros... I hate him as the Mavs owner and think he is incredibly obnoxious, but I guarantee you he would bring some big-time players in if he bought the Astros. Luckily we're likely getting a noted racist and sexist owner instead! But who cares, as long as he brings us a World Series right? As for the attendance, can you imagine how awful some early week games against teams like Pittsburgh will be? I bet there will be less than 10,000 people in the stadium for some late season games (of course, the reported attendance will be double that, but everyone can see that there aren't anywhere near that many people there). Regardless, I'll still support the Astros, no matter how bad we are. Gotta represent H-Town.

Went to the game Thursday, aside from riding around for 5 minutes looking for somewhere to lock the bike, it was nice, the changes to the stadium are really great, huge crisp screen, neat history shown before the game.

Would like to go again this season, but I hate the owner, and don't like giving him money, ticket prices aren't bad, but concession prices are rumored to be some of the highest in the league.

Anyway, hope he sells soon so I can go enjoy more games.

I don't know about yall but I think they are fun to watch. Seriously. There is no expectations, and we are supposed to have a crappy season. I've enjoyed watching the speed and youthfulness of some of our players. Steals seem to be plentiful. I think they need time to gel as a team.

I am an optimist and think they will get better as the season goes along.

I've been going to games for decades. I average about 20 games at MMP, with 1 or 2 "away" games a year. I'm not hardcore, but I enjoy the game, and its has been disappointing for me to watch my beloved astros tank the way they have been because the owner simply won't shell out any bucks.

I'm still irritated they let Oswalt and Berkman go.

Some people seem to love Pence, but something about the way he plays he just looks awkward. He throws like a 7 year old whose dad never taught him the right way. He runs weird too.

Yeah, he is really awkward looking. But some how he runs the bases and covers outfield. And his throws get in, i remember him having plenty of outfield assists early on when I was paying more attention. But i agree it looks goofy.

I haven't been out this year, but will at some point. I wanted to go to bring your dog day (did that with the aeros and my pup loved it though he was scared when they came crashing in to the boards) but that was last weekend and i missed it due to the MS150.

But yeah, i assumed this was a lost season. but you never know in baseball. Central is not that strong but are chances are slim...

• 4 weeks later...

What do yall think of a Hines co-owner being part of the new Astros ownership group? Will he want to put more buildings in the line of sight from the stadium seats? I'm sure he will keep level headed but I'm sure there might be a tiny bit of influence.

Will Galtney and Jeff Hines

Galtney is the chariman of Galtney Enterprises, Cedar Equities, Oxford Insurance Services, and Gessner Holdings, LLC and is involved in insurance brokerage. Hines is the president, co-owner and CEO of Hines, a privately owned international real-estate firm founded by and named for his father, Gerald D. Hines. The company was founded in 1957 and is responsible for many local landmarks, including the Galleria, Williams Tower, the JPMorgan Chase Tower, Pennzoil Place and One Shell Plaza.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2011/05/16/report-prominent-houstonians-part-of-group-to-by-astros/

What do yall think of a Hines co-owner being part of the new Astros ownership group? Will he want to put more buildings in the line of sight from the stadium seats? I'm sure he will keep level headed but I'm sure there might be a tiny bit of influence.

I don't know what his angle would be. He probably just really likes baseball.

The more I read about Crane, the more I already miss Drayton.

Also, has anyone seen how much debt is being floated to "buy" the team? It's around $300 million for a team that reportedly only brought in $14 million last season. The numbers that are public so far don't seem to add up. Is MLB trying to help inflate the value of a major league franchise? Nah, couldn't be.

I don't know what his angle would be. He probably just really likes baseball.

Yeah, I think he just really likes baseball, too. But I'm just curious if it's possible that building a high-rise that would be in all stadium shots and seen from the stadium could by a byproduct of being part owner. Hey, he's a human, too, and it's possible that he make slightly emotional decisions. This could be one of them ;p