5718 Westheimer: Office Tower At 5718 Westheimer Rd.

Blue Dogs

There's speculation brewing that CBS 11 KHOU-TV Houston might be looking for a new home. The TEGNA station had to evacuate their building during Hurricane Harvey, the station's Facebook page previously mentioned that a restoration company was working the flooded studio.

However, CBS 11 KHOU-TV meteorologist Brooks Garner was asked by someone on his Facebook page on the latest developments regarding the restoration of Allen Parkway studios. Garner replied the station was looking for a new spot to call home. Even Mike McGuff of mikemcuff.com, asked the station about the possible new location search: he was then told by one of the station's representatives they will "keep in touch" when there's something to announce... which is code for MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS.

For now, just stay tuned on whether CBS 11 gets a new studio to call home.

http://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2017/10/is-khou-11-rebuilding-or-moving.html

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:50 AM, ChannelTwoNews said:

Looks like CBS 11 KHOU-TV Houston is closer to getting a new home including other details:

http://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2018/02/khou-close-to-getting-new-building-plus.html

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wow, so the old Coastal Banc/Hibernia Bank/Capital One Tower. I once worked here on the fourth floor during the Coastal Banc years. It’s always been a nice building, even before the more recent renovations.  With all the standard overhead lighting and the large news sets, I’m guessing the studios will be on the first floor as it is the tallest from floor to ceiling? 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

https://realtynewsreport.com/2019/10/24/khous-big-lease-plus-a-10-million-redo-generates-upswing-at-westheimer-office-towe

HOUSTON – (Realty News Report) – The arrival of flood-impacted KHOU-TV Channel 11 as a key tenant – along with a hefty $10 million renovation budget – has triggered new leasing activity in the 5718 Westheimer office tower near the Galleria.

The television station moved into the building, a 22-story tower located at the corner of Westheimer and Bering Drive, earlier this year to occupy 43,000 SF on three floors of the tower.

In addition to KHOU’s tenancy, CBRE says the 5718 Westheimer building is gaining success because of $10 million in recent capital improvements and amenity upgrades, including a new entrance, updated multi-tenant corridors, new destination dispatch elevators, activated green space, and state-of-the-art fitness and conference center.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Blue Dogs said:

I wonder if this was in response to the new building NBC 2 KPRC-TV got ?

Big question is whether Fox 26 KRIV-TV Houston will get a new home ? 

Not to nitpick, but this sort of thing isn't a tit-for-tat proposition. Because one station gets another building, another won't just up and decide to do the same.

It was widely reported that this was influenced primarily by the former location of the station on Allen Parkway. From what I understand - after Buffalo Bayou overflowed during Allison, there were discussions about installing flood gates of some sort at the site, but their corporate parent at the time (Belo) didn't go along with that. When Harvey flooded the building out again, their current owner (TEGNA) sought other space due to the issues with the site. 

As for KRIV, I don't see them moving anywhere. They have a fair amount of room even today, and the facility is only 20 years old or so. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2020 at 1:54 PM, ChannelTwoNews said:

Not to nitpick, but this sort of thing isn't a tit-for-tat proposition. Because one station gets another building, another won't just up and decide to do the same.

It was widely reported that this was influenced primarily by the former location of the station on Allen Parkway. From what I understand - after Buffalo Bayou overflowed during Allison, there were discussions about installing flood gates of some sort at the site, but their corporate parent at the time (Belo) didn't go along with that. When Harvey flooded the building out again, their current owner (TEGNA) sought other space due to the issues with the site. 

As for KRIV, I don't see them moving anywhere. They have a fair amount of room even today, and the facility is only 20 years old or so. 

I'm assuming CW 39 is staying put in their current location ?

14 hours ago, cowboybud said:

No reason for them to leave...no local news, Nexstar presumably has master control in another location.

They do have a morning newscast, and I think they had been hiring for a few local reporter/producer spots as of late. The latter may be to supplement Nexstar's planned News Nation primetime newscast that will air on WGN America later in the year.

Last I was aware, their master control was still out of Denver. They were moved there with KDAF in Dallas at the same time a number of years ago.

• Like 1

I wonder if the space used for producing "Texas Justice", "Judge Alex", and "Cristina's Court" has been reconfigured, or if they're keeping the option open for possible future productions.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

$62.9M Galleria-area office tower sold to New York-based investment firm

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2021/10/19/new-york-firm-buys-5718-westheimer.html

Group RMC paid an undisclosed amount to purchase 5718 Westheimer Road, a 491,092-square-foot, 22-story tower near the intersection of Westheimer and Bering Drive. While the terms of the deal were not disclosed, 5718 Westheimer Road was valued at $62.9 million as of Jan. 1, according to Harris County Appraisal District records.

JLL Capital Markets marketed the property on behalf of the seller, which was also undisclosed. Additionally, JLL (NYSE: JLL) secured the three-year, floating-rate acquisition loan with New York-based Sound Point Capital Management.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 6:51 PM, Highrise Tower said:

$62.9M Galleria-area office tower sold to New York-based investment firm

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2021/10/19/new-york-firm-buys-5718-westheimer.html

Group RMC paid an undisclosed amount to purchase 5718 Westheimer Road, a 491,092-square-foot, 22-story tower near the intersection of Westheimer and Bering Drive. While the terms of the deal were not disclosed, 5718 Westheimer Road was valued at $62.9 million as of Jan. 1, according to Harris County Appraisal District records.

JLL Capital Markets marketed the property on behalf of the seller, which was also undisclosed. Additionally, JLL (NYSE: JLL) secured the three-year, floating-rate acquisition loan with New York-based Sound Point Capital Management.

Now that's intriguing 🤔

• Like 1

I know I'm late to this discussion, but for a little more context - the old KHOU building flooded repeatedly.  Not just during hurricanes, but during tropical storms and even just the occasional well-placed heavy downpour.  In the four years I was there, it flooded five times.  Not just nuisance flooding, but the kind that required ripping out and replacing the walls.

The annoying part was that every time it flooded, the renovation made the facilities worse, in order to save money.  Employees used to be able to bicycle to work, and then take a shower upon arrival.  One of the anchors used to do this all the time.  But after one particularly bad flood, that amenity wasn't included in the rebuild.  Private offices got turned into a conference room in another renovation.  The place never seemed to get rebuilt to what it used to be.

Sales and administration was upstairs, and thus unaffected.  News and engineering was on the ground floor.  Master control and production were on raised floors filled with miles of live wires.  You can imagine that was problematic when the bayou would visit.  And there was a small room/closet that contained nothing but rows and rows and rows of car batteries hooked together. This was our backup power supply.  Again, not a great thing to have on the ground floor next to a flood-happy bayou.

And of course, there was the time Air11 crashed on the roof.  The neighbors were not happy to have bits of helicopter rotor flying uncontrolled through the neighborhood.   I should post those photos some day.

• Like 2

I talked with a guy who works for SCI several weeks ago while biking in the Heights, he told me that they plan on a multi use high rise at the site. Offices for SCI and possible rental or condos on top. Their current offices next door have flooded many times and will move in to the new building when its finished and then will demo their old building. He had no timeline for when this will happen though.

• Like 3

On 11/7/2021 at 7:46 PM, hindesky said:

I talked with a guy who works for SCI several weeks ago while biking in the Heights, he told me that they plan on a multi use high rise at the site. Offices for SCI and possible rental or condos on top. Their current offices next door have flooded many times and will move in to the new building when its finished and then will demo their old building. He had no timeline for when this will happen though.

That should be a heck of an implosion, should the demolition go that route.

KHOU staffers used to use the cafeteria in the basement of the SCI building.  They used to call it The Coffin Café.  I don't know if that was its official name, or just a nod to its owners.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to 5718 Westheimer: Office Tower At 5718 Westheimer Rd.