Public Junk Yards

Talbot

Does anyone happen to know of any public junk yards? I will look on google, but I doubt I will find any. And I wanted to know if any of you know of one personally.

if you can help me, I appreciate it.

There are alot of "junk shops" in the montrose area, you have to look really hard for them, it's weird though, for some reason alot of the places have signs on the front that say "antiques"!

If you need a "junk yard" for cars, you can go to Airline drive, east of 45, there is about 50 or so there. :D

Texas Junk. Montrose: corner of Taft and Welch. Beware, the guy who owns the junk is very proud of his merchandise. Good place to poke around though.

Anyone know of a good junkyard for classic cars?

Dream

You are better off on ebay with that my friend, most junkyards only carry back to 1980 now, at least around here. There is one I believe in Beaumont, that has a few 50's 60's and 70's models.

There are alot of "junk shops" in the montrose area, you have to look really hard for them, it's weird though, for some reason alot of the places have signs on the front that say "antiques"!

If you need a "junk yard" for cars, you can go to Airline drive, east of 45, there is about 50 or so there. :D

Well I am looking specifically for car junk yards. Thanks, I guess i will have to drive along and see what I can find. Do you know if most are public ones?

Thanks to everyone else for the replies.

There's a big place on Scott St near Corder, just a few blocks inside the Loop. It's a big red place on the east side of Scott Street, can't miss it. I've never been there, but from aerial photos it looks MASSIVE!

There's also one on Spencer Hwy just east of the East Belt in Pasadena. I have been to that one, and it was easy to deal with. I was trying to replace a mirror that I broke off my dad's van one night...I told them what I was looking for and they took me right to a similar van. Easy as pie.

Well I am looking specifically for car junk yards. Thanks, I guess i will have to drive along and see what I can find. Do you know if most are public ones?

Thanks to everyone else for the replies.

Yes they are Talbot, no fee to look around. I was out on Airline for about 8 hours the other day. What kind of part are you looking for ? I bet I can point you in a better direction.

Well actually, it's a pretty stupid reason. See, I am quite cheap and being only 17 I dont make very much money yet, but I wanted some wheels for my car (not the tires) but they are pretty expensive.

I was planning on just saving the money, but my dad suggested going to junkyards to look for some and we can just take them to get rechromed and whatnot. The only thing is, is most cars in junk yards have been in some sort of serious accident and usually the tires and wheels get damaged, so I am afraid that they will be hard to match and I wont get a set of 4 good ones.

But if I can't find any, than I will just continue to save up for them, already got about $500 in savings for them, but I still have a ways to go.

And again, I thank you all for your help.

EDIT: Oh and the reason that i am saving full to buy them is because I don't have any credit, and I dont want to pay monthly payments to my parents or anyone else, I already have to pay cell phone bill and car insurance.

Well actually, it's a pretty stupid reason. See, I am quite cheap and being only 17 I dont make very much money yet, but I wanted some wheels for my car (not the tires) but they are pretty expensive.

I was planning on just saving the money, but my dad suggested going to junkyards to look for some and we can just take them to get rechromed and whatnot. The only thing is, is most cars in junk yards have been in some sort of serious accident and usually the tires and wheels get damaged, so I am afraid that they will be hard to match and I wont get a set of 4 good ones.

But if I can't find any, than I will just continue to save up for them, already got about $500 in savings for them, but I still have a ways to go.

And again, I thank you all for your help.

EDIT: Oh and the reason that i am saving full to buy them is because I don't have any credit, and I dont want to pay monthly payments to my parents or anyone else, I already have to pay cell phone bill and car insurance.

What kind of car are you putting the wheels on, and how big do you want to go ?

I just noticed my new location under my avatar. Bolivar Light, sounds like some really cheap beer i would have drank in high school back in the 80's. YUUUUUMMMMMMMM ! :wacko:

I am afraid that they will be hard to match and I wont get a set of 4 good ones.

So find a set of two that match and put them on the left side of the car. Then find two more that match (same size) and put them on the right side. Bet if you don't tell anyone, no one will notice. :D

Look in the Yellow Pages under 'Auto Parts and Supplies - Used.' There are several pages of listings; some even have websites. You might be able to find what you're looking for just by calling around or at least get the locations of some instead of just driving around.

Yes they are Talbot, no fee to look around. I was out on Airline for about 8 hours the other day. What kind of part are you looking for ? I bet I can point you in a better direction.

Talbot, most of these salvage yards are linked together via computer and speaker phone. If the place you are at doesn't have what you are looking for, they will put the word out to the others to help locate the parts.

So find a set of two that match and put them on the left side of the car. Then find two more that match (same size) and put them on the right side. Bet if you don't tell anyone, no one will notice. :D

that is awesome :lol:

just curious - are your current wheels screwed up?

2000 Chevy Malibu. And no the wheels aren't screwed up, I just want to see what I can find.

lol @ dbigtex, unfortunately, I think a lot of people would notice before too long. :(

And thanks Bruce, I didn't even think about that.

And lastly, thanks Redscare, that should help me quite a bit so that I dont have to drive around all over the place.

i guess i should have asked also, if your know what the Lug pattern is on your car, is it 5x114, or 5x100 or 5x120cm ? Do you know ?

Here's the deal. I have some 18" Helo Shells, if you want to see what they look like, go to www.wayneswheels.net . Look up Helo wheels and then scroll to the bottom and click on the "early helo" tab. They are in there. Let me know.

If you're looking to get rid of your car, just ditch it on the side of the freeway. I'm sure Bill White's Safe Clear program will "dispose" of it for you. ;)

If you're looking to get rid of your car, just ditch it on the side of the freeway. I'm sure Bill White's Safe Clear program will "dispose" of it for you. ;)

lol, nah thats okay, I still need my car.

And thanks TJones, I'll take a look. And I'm not sure what the lug nut pattern is, but i can probably look that up online.

Archived