Elysian Viaduct replacement

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Untitled by Houston Midtown, on Flickr   Untitled by Houston Midtown, on Flickr   Untitled by Houston Midtown, on Flickr   Untitled by Houston Midtown, on Flickr  

Clayton Homes opened in 1952! So that's quite a while before 59 was built.    Here's another photo that looks north.       

Got an opportunity to ride the Elysian from Runnels to the northern end since there were no workers on the job. Great view of downtown.  

Posted Images

On 10/11/2020 at 3:22 PM, hindesky said:

Why does this project seem to be taking forever to finish? They don't have any traffic to deal with since everything is closed off.

9Zx5pKR.jpg

I've been asking that myself for quite a while now.... I seriously thought this thing was close to being finish at the beginning of the year but boy was I wrong. I'm guessing they are somehow able to bring down the cost of this project by stretching it out? I honestly don't know.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/Major-projects-lead-to-closing-of-I-10-in-both-15650046.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Premium)&utm_source=reddit.com&utm_medium=referral

Bridge crews will pull double duty along Interstate 10 in downtown Houston this weekend, in the hopes of combining closings so drivers are detoured fewer times.

Eastbound and westbound I-10 will be closed at 8 p.m. Friday, according to the Texas Department of Transportation. About 4.5 miles of the eastbound lanes will be closed from Shepherd to Interstate 69 while westbound lanes will be closed from I-69 to Interstate 45, about 1.5 miles. Detours will send drivers through downtown to I-45 and then back to I-10 westbound, while eastbound I-10 traffic is recommended to use Loop 610 to avoid the area entirely.

640x0.jpg

Westbound lanes are scheduled to reopen by 5 p.m. Saturday, but the eastbound lanes are not expected to reopen until 5 a.m. Monday.

The closings, which cover a much larger area than typical, are so TxDOT can advance two separate construction projects which would have led to closing the freeway two straight weekendssaid Danny Perez, a spokesman for TxDOT in Houston. Crews are rebuilding the Elysian Viaduct that crosses Buffalo Bayou and I-10 in to downtown, while another project about a 1.5 miles away is repairing the Houston Avenue bridge across I-10 west of downtown.

PIERCE ELIMINATED: Critics say 30-day window to comment on I-45 project far too short

“The Elysian work needed both sides (of the freeway), so instead of having back-to-back weekends, we combined,” Perez said.

Though traffic on weekends has returned compared to earlier declines during COVID, the number of vehicles remains about 10 percent below common levels on Saturdays and Sundays, according to Houston TranStar. Still, TxDOT officials are warning drivers to expect significant delays as a result of the freeway closings, and possibly seek alternative routes.

dug.begley@chron.com

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/23/2020 at 10:54 AM, cspwal said:

It looks like chain link fences on overpasses over train tracks is standard

https://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/cmd/cserve/standard/bridge/rlstd032.pdf

I'm not sure why

It's intended to keep hooligans from dropping stuff onto the tracks and trains.  The same logic applies to street overpasses over freeways.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I-10 closing likely to snarl downtown Houston traffic this weekend

Photo of Dug Begley
Dug Begley Jan. 21, 2021 Updated: Jan. 21, 2021 6:32 a.m.

Highway officials are urging motorists to detour around downtown Houston if possible this weekend, as work on a major entryway to the central business district closes Interstate 10 in both directions from Friday night to Monday morning.

Crews will close I-10 westbound at Interstate 69 and eastbound at Interstate 45 starting at 9 p.m. Friday, according to the Texas Department of Transportation. Various lanes, entrances and exits will be closed along the freeway, which is set to reopen by 5 a.m. Monday.

640x0.jpg

Westbound traffic will be diverted to I-69 southbound and then I-45 northbound, where drivers can re-enter I-10. The eastbound detour will work in reverse, using southbound I-45 and northbound I-69.

“It is strongly advised to seek an alternate route during this closure,” TxDOT said in a statement.

The closing is needed for work along the Elysian Viaduct that spans I-10, Buffalo Bayou and a major rail line, now easily recognizable from the freeway because of the boldly painted new columns. Work began almost four years ago on the long-sought widening and rebuild of Elysian into downtown, just northeast of Minute Maid Park.

Construction initially was expected to end by 2019, but early in the work Tropical Storm Harvey and related flooding significantly delayed work. The project’s price tag also has ballooned from $35.6 million to $48.1 million because of rising material, design and labor costs and additional work on the site.

The new span will have two lanes in each direction along with shoulders and a five-foot sidewalk between Runnels and Ruiz when it opens in a few weeks, based on the latest schedule.

dug.begley@chron.com

• Like 1
On 1/21/2021 at 7:53 PM, hindesky said:

The new span will have two lanes in each direction along with shoulders and a five-foot sidewalk between Runnels and Ruiz when it opens in a few weeks, based on the latest schedule.

Nice

On 1/21/2021 at 10:48 AM, mollusk said:

It's intended to keep hooligans from dropping stuff onto the tracks and trains.  The same logic applies to street overpasses over freeways.

This is not correct, the fencing up so far is only near the train tracks, no fencing over IH 10. Which doesn't make any sense to me. How is anyone going to hurt the train? But someone could get killed if someone threw something off over the highway.:wacko:

Train fencing.

4sT2xxa.jpg

No fencing over IH 10.

2BreBYK.jpg

The are 2 of these, one on the southbound side and another on the northbound. Seems to be doing zero work being done to finish them. Hopefully they place some kind of hard barrier near them or someone is going to be the newest Evil Kneivel on the northbound side.

WvYn7To.jpg

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, hindesky said:

The are 2 of these, one on the southbound side and another on the northbound. Seems to be doing zero work being done to finish them. Hopefully they place some kind of hard barrier near them or someone is going to be the newest Evil Kneivel on the northbound side.

I think those will be the freeway entrances/exits to the Hardy Toll Road extension (when it gets started, whenever that is.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Big E said:

I think those will be the freeway entrances/exits to the Hardy Toll Road extension (when it gets started, whenever that is.

Yeah, but why aren't they doing anything while they have full access to build them? The southbound one does go over the train tracks but the northbound one doesn't. Maybe that wasn't part of their bid? Balfour Beatty is the contractor.

Edited by hindesky
Just now, hindesky said:

Yeah, but why aren't they doing anything while they have full access to build them? The southbound one does go over the train tracks but the northbound one doesn't. Maybe that wasn't part of their bid?

My guess: nothing is being done on that because that is specifically part of the Hardy Toll Road extension, which would make it Harris County's issue (they maintain the toll road). The viaduct replacement is probably being done by the city of Houston.

• Like 2

What Big E said. The contractors will go back and add barriers to block it off like you see on many unbuilt exits (the 59/69 North to I-10 West ramp for example had at some point a planned exit to Elysian street but the letters have been removed from the sign. You can still see it if you take that exit.)

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Big E said:

My guess: nothing is being done on that because that is specifically part of the Hardy Toll Road extension, which would make it Harris County's issue (they maintain the toll road). The viaduct replacement is probably being done by the city of Houston.

That's correct about the toll road extension, but the viaduct replacement is a TxDOT project. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • hindesky
  • 6836 posts
On 1/21/2021 at 10:48 AM, mollusk said:

This is not correct, the fencing up so far is only near the train tracks, no fencing over IH 10. Which doesn't make any sense to me. How is anyone going to hurt the train? But someone could get killed if someone threw something off over the highway.

Key words:  so far.  Fencing overpasses over freeways is very common, but not universal.  As far as trains are concerned, they do have engineers in the locomotive cabs; I'm sure someone is creative enough to figure out what other kind of mayhem to deploy.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Fencing only over the railroads and not over highways or roads. This looks close to finishing, still needs stripping and working signal lights at Runnels St.

sNw9mKN.jpg

3XdoApz.jpg

• Like 4

it's almost time to get the car's tires rebalanced and front end checked in anticipation of some (murmuring unintelligble things about going slightly faster than the speed limit)

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

it's almost time to get the car's tires rebalanced and front end checked in anticipation of some (murmuring unintelligble things about going slightly faster than the speed limit)

On my honor, I never went faster than <insert excessive speed high enough to disqualify me from taking defensive driving to get out of the ticket here> on the old Viaduct.

• Haha 3

It never ceases to amaze me how long this project is taking. I know it was planned to take this long from the start but when I see so many things finished in January and here we still are in April.... it just..... amazes me.

• Like 2

I guess the contractor didn't have a lot of incentive to finish early.

granted I was a kid when it was being built, so things always seemed to take longer, but I always felt like the first section of BW8 between 59 and i10 took forever for them to open.

7 hours ago, ttuchris said:

It really is amazing.  I moved downtown in September 2017 and this project was underway.  You can see date stamps on the concrete, 2018, 2019, 2021.

I didn't know it's taken that long. The Atchafalaya Basin bridges didn't take this long to be built, seems like this project should've been completed at least a year ago. 

• Like 3
12 hours ago, ttuchris said:

It really is amazing.  I moved downtown in September 2017 and this project was underway.  You can see date stamps on the concrete, 2018, 2019, 2021.

Same. Is this even a popular road? 

• 3 weeks later...

They were prepping the intersection at Runnels for striping. Saw this equipment under the bridge that enables workers to do work under the bridge.

vcGtfmO.jpg

• Like 5

I'm not sure what the experts call this piece of equipment but I saw a couple of workers using it and swinging under the Elysian St. bridge. It has a vehicle on top of the bridge that has counterweights that enable them to use it safely.

ElYilZm.jpg

Lu8EhnV.jpg

They have prepped the intersections and the roads for paint marking.

uLl8ulG.jpg

yNkD7gO.jpg

• Like 4
Posted (edited)

Any idea when this is opening?  Apple Maps says it is closed until May 14...I wonder if that is accurate

It's sure getting close to being finished (finally)

Edited by HoustonMidtown
  • Like 2

When I rode it on Sunday they hadn't done any of the striping on the Elysian at all, just the intersection with Runnels. But they have free access to knock this out since they won't have any traffic to deal with. They also have to stripe the intersections with Commerce St.

I talked with a worker and asked when this would be open to traffic. He said the portion from Runnels south to Commerce St would open in about a week and the Elysian bridge section would open in 2 to 3 weeks. Crew was busy doing the striping on both sections.

vJdPQqh.jpg

DzMOfYS.jpg

• Like 4
Posted (edited)

I talked to some of the workers doing the striping....said the city just passed inspection on the lights and it usually takes 2-3 weeks for them to be turned on.....pretty much same timeframe @hindesky heard

One of the workers added..."been working on a <expletive> 2 year project for 4 <expletive> years"

51179140688_3f5705208d_b.jpg

51178919296_b8d1df1991_b.jpg

51179140683_42ee29f813_b.jpg

Edited by HoustonMidtown
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

Congratulations Houston! I mean, WE built the Hoover Damn in 5 years... you built a road. LOL

i personally will be using the elysian once again but its been frustrating that glaciers have melted in the time they built this road. i mean they do eventually melt, its just really slow. kinda like this project. Meanwhile, the roads are crumbling IN DOWNTOWN right outside my office bulding.. its like driving in Syria. what an embarassment this city has become.  The engergy capitial of the world went dark in February, the roads leading to all these oil and gas companies in downtown crumbling, and they turn a 2 yrs project into 5. I've seen other TXDOT projects take a lot less time. makes you wonder what the politics did to sour the project?

Thank you to all who shared the pics of the progress all these years, ive enjoyed looking for the latest posts. it was by far the only way to get any info on this project thanks to you all.

KUDOS!

• Confused 2