Elysian Viaduct

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2019 at 10:13 AM, bobruss said:

When is this connector for the downtown Hardy toll way supposed to open? 

Seems like it's taking forever but at some point they're going to have to shut down IH 10 in order to set the beams over the highway. I often take IH 10 to get home after work and have been dreading the day they do this, hopefully it's going to be a weekend.

On 8/24/2019 at 5:54 PM, hindesky said:

Seems like it's taking forever but at some point they're going to have to shut down IH 10 in order to set the beams over the highway. I often take IH 10 to get home after work and have been dreading the day they do this, hopefully it's going to be a weekend.

I think you can rest assured it will be on a weekend, or at worst during overnight hours.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

I think you can rest assured it will be on a weekend, or at worst during overnight hours.

Darn, it would be so much more fun to start at Noon on a Friday, and run until 3pm on the following Monday.😂

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a website with more current information on this project? TXdot isn't current. this forum has been helpful, thank you. does anyone have any idea when this will be open to flow again from the hardy toll road to downtown? 3 years is a long time - i dont think it took that long to build the atchafalaya bridge in LA. they did that in 2 years in swamp waters. 

• Like 1

I'm sure they had to slow down so historians could catalog all 150,000 artifacts. 

sort of tongue in cheek, but really, I'm sure once they identified the historic artifacts, they decided to spend more time checking the site for more stuff, and only once the people brought in to check gave them the all clear were they able to proceed.

21 hours ago, DigitalDiver said:

Is there a website with more current information on this project? TXdot isn't current. this forum has been helpful, thank you. does anyone have any idea when this will be open to flow again from the hardy toll road to downtown? 3 years is a long time - i dont think it took that long to build the atchafalaya bridge in LA. they did that in 2 years in swamp waters. 

Well if I remember correctly the TXDOT website does say a 32 month project so back then (don't quote me on this) I think I calculated that it should be finished sometime around April 2020.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They're now doing work on the north and the south side of I-10.  Sheet Piling has been driven in and they are excavating the graded slope.  I assuming that this is since that slope will be eliminated in the I-45 realignment, so the new pylons must to be started at the lower, main-lane grade. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds incredibly painful...

Key I-10, I-69 freeway ramps closing until February in downtown Houston

940x0.jpg

Starting Friday, two major downtown freeway connections will close for at least three months.

The ramps from eastbound Interstate 10 to southbound Interstate 69, and from northbound I-69 to westbound I-10 will close at 9 p.m., according to the Texas Department of Transportation. Both ramps will not reopen until February, officials said in a news release.

To allow for the long-term closing this weekend, two lanes of I-10 in each direction will be closed between San Jacinto and I-69 in downtown Houston.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/Key-I-10-I-69-freeway-ramps-closing-until-14668325.php

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Triton said:

I take this route to skip the mess that's always I-45.... looks like that mess is my only route now and it's about to get a lot worse.

The surface streets will probably be bad as well, which won't help. It would have been nice if TxDoT had given more warning on this.

8 hours ago, Triton said:

I take this route to skip the mess that's always I-45.... looks like that mess is my only route now and it's about to get a lot worse.

if you are going from the heights to Hobby, taking i-10 east, then 610 south to 45 is only 3 minutes slower.  right now it's an algorithm, is the extra pain of pierce elevated worth the 3 minutes. in a few weeks, it will probably be about the same time investment.

I suppose that the shutdown also includes Chartres to i10 west as well.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, samagon said:

if you are going from the heights to Hobby, taking i-10 east, then 610 south to 45 is only 3 minutes slower.  right now it's an algorithm, is the extra pain of pierce elevated worth the 3 minutes. in a few weeks, it will probably be about the same time investment.

No, my wife goes from the Heights to UofH main campus. I think she'll probably just have to take Houston Ave to I-45 now to get there.

On the weekends, I-45 is usually bad over Allen Parkway/Memorial so I tend to skip all that by taking these ramps to 59 and then come back onto I-45, but it looks like that plan is out the window now.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, samagon said:

Yup. It might be painful since no u-turn exists, but you could go east and come back at Waco St. However, I imagine a lot of people will be doing this for this 3 month duration.

2 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

What good would more warning do?

Easier to plan or try other routes. My main destination that's affected is near Southmore and UH, and it was really easy to get on 59 from ELgin, and then get on 10 from there. Now I'll ahve to look at some other routes, like Lockwood to 10. 

58 minutes ago, Triton said:

That way he has more time to save up for a helicopter...

I wish.

On 11/9/2019 at 7:56 AM, Rick Gonzales said:

Are there any plans to fix both Elysian and Hardy streets from the viaduct to 610?

Haven't seen any projects in the works, just patches and the bike lanes so far. The only work I see coming to that area is the Hardy Tollroad extension. Elysian and Hardy definitely need to be rebuilt though...

• 2 months later...
On 11/1/2019 at 7:14 AM, samagon said:

The Chartres ramp to I-10 west is open again...

• Like 3

Seeing this makes me ponder the future of the I-10 ROW after they reroute it. There's going to be an overpass over it, and its already excavated to be below grade, so its going to be hard to develop, I think. It could be a park, but we have a lot of parks. I wonder what this area will look like in 25 years.

• Like 1