J-Bar-M Barbecue At 2201 Leeland St.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Eastdwntwn said:

Does anyone know what else is supposed to go on this large lot? On Bell St. there are a bunch of small concrete driveways that look like townhome driveways. Is there a residential portion?

I didn't see anything but parking lot on the original plans. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Eastdwntwn said:

Does anyone know what else is supposed to go on this large lot? On Bell St. there are a bunch of small concrete driveways that look like townhome driveways. Is there a residential portion?

If the driveways are on Hutchins that might be 2-3 townhomes. There's only a tiny sliver of the block that they don't control. Here's the plat for more info:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=9103

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phillip_white said:

If the driveways are on Hutchins that might be 2-3 townhomes. There's only a tiny sliver of the block that they don't control. Here's the plat for more info:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=9103 691.1 kB · 15 downloads

Thanks for sending that over. But it isn't the area that they don't control. The driveways are along bell. They seem to be too close together to be entrances to a parking lot. I will snap a picture the next time I am over there. 

19 hours ago, Sanjorade said:

Food truck parking maybe?

Too small for food trucks as they cannot block the sidewalk (also, why food trucks at a restaurant?). This appears to be a terribly implemented method of turning public street parking into private restaurant parking.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, phillip_white said:

Too small for food trucks as they cannot block the sidewalk (also, why food trucks at a restaurant?). This appears to be a terribly implemented method of turning public street parking into private restaurant parking.

Was thinking food trucks mainly because of the area. Hutchins and St. E are turning into pedestrian friendly streets with more and more developments. 

6 hours ago, Sanjorade said:

Was thinking food trucks mainly because of the area. Hutchins and St. E are turning into pedestrian friendly streets with more and more developments. 

That would be a cool idea if they tried it. I guess they could be the sole alcohol vendor and make up for lost food sales that way.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/17/2020 at 5:52 PM, hindesky said:

After taking a closer look at my first pic that wood looks like it has been charred.

Here are different levels of charred wood.

Y5OfwwF.jpg

it's a currently popular method of weather treatment. you have to do it to the level you see on the left most example.

rather than calling it 'charred' since the technique is borrowed from traditional Japanese methods they call it 'shoshugibon'.

the 2 examples on the right are options if you want to create more drama in the natural wood before completely sealing whatever furniture project you're doing.

• Like 3

On 10/19/2020 at 10:52 AM, samagon said:

it's a currently popular method of weather treatment. you have to do it to the level you see on the left most example.

rather than calling it 'charred' since the technique is borrowed from traditional Japanese methods they call it 'shoshugibon'.

the 2 examples on the right are options if you want to create more drama in the natural wood before completely sealing whatever furniture project you're doing.

Shoshugibon is supposed to make the wood more resistant to insect and fungal attack. Consider that there are Japanese temple structures that have been so treated and have been around for more than a century.

I had to introduce shoshugibon to some architect interns who persistently referred to fire retardant-treated wood (chemically treated to resist burning) as "fire-treated wood." I explained to them that there is a such thing as fire-treated wood but it was not what they intended. Most all of them thought shoshugibon is a very cool and I agree.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I talked with a worker and he said this would open in September. They were doing work on the parking lot and it looks like it will be a permeable lot, the black plastic pieces will go where the gravel is. It's been a long journey but the end is in sight.

XokQGRz.jpg

meUN18a.jpg

0RxCAar.jpg

jVsEBkI.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Got an impromptu tour of this place. The delays have been due to design changes apparently, but they are hoping to be open within a month. 

This place is going to be packed with bbq lovers, if the kitchen equipment is indicative of their skill set to smoke and grill. 

• Like 7

• The title was changed to 2201 Leeland St.

if anyone is interested, that's the same plastic underlayment they used for Saint Arnold's and it's a local Houston company. they're made from recycled plastics only.

truegrid.

they're surprisingly affordable, I used them to make an extension to my driveway when I got married and suddenly a 1 lane driveway wasn't enough.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, samagon said:

if anyone is interested, that's the same plastic underlayment they used for Saint Arnold's and it's a local Houston company. they're made from recycled plastics only.

truegrid.

they're surprisingly affordable, I used them to make an extension to my driveway when I got married and suddenly a 1 lane driveway wasn't enough.

How is it holding up for you? I've heard they don't really last too long in commercial applications.