Jump to content
HAIF - Houston's original social media

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That read as so self-defeatist. I've lived in New York and Boston and I think Houston has a better overall quality of life and it isn't just because it's more affordable here. I really wish Houstonian

EFF-ING TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD YOU SO!  

I'd have no problem with Austin.  From a pride standpoint, it would indeed suck royally if Dallas got Amazon.  Professionally, it would bring more legal jobs to Texas and would probably provide a bene

Posted Images

14 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

The press has been saying “Atlanta” for a week or so.   I imagine that it would go along the belt-line some where..

 

 

I seem to recall that Atlanta was heavily favored for the G.E. headquarters, which of course went to Boston.

It seems much too soon for the winner to be leaked if this is in fact a true competition. Most likely there will be a short list of finalists. On the other hand, if Amazon had Atlanta in mind from the beginning and Atlanta's proposal was good, the decision could be made very quickly. But even if there was a predisposition for Atlanta (or any other city), I think Amazon will want to create the perception of carefully considering all the alternatives since so much effort was expended by all the candidates making site submissions.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2017 at 7:46 PM, Ross said:

TI had a major presence in the Houston area at the time, with big plants in Stafford and out 290, so it's entirely possible the Compaq founders were here already.

 

They were in Houston, it seems you aren't familiar with how Compaq came to be a company. The founders were sitting in House of Pies on Westheimer when they sketched out the first Compaq computer on a napkin.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would Amazon go for Austin? Austin has UT,  a good music scene, and some nice hills ( pluses), but no major airport, no major league sports, I understand the traffic is quite bad, and where is their mass transit? Austin's "weirdness" image is all mass produced "weirdness" you can see anywhere. Overrated. As much as it pains me to say, DFW and Atlanta are better picks, especially Dallas.   Houston of course is the best of all picks.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Twinsanity02 said:

Why would Amazon go for Austin? Austin has UT,  a good music scene, and some nice hills ( pluses), but no major airport, no major league sports, I understand the traffic is quite bad, and where is their mass transit? Austin's "weirdness" image is all mass produced "weirdness" you can see anywhere. Overrated. As much as it pains me to say, DFW and Atlanta are better picks, especially Dallas.   Houston of course is the best of all picks.

I  agree with you about Austin although none of that has stopped other tech companies from locating there. 

 

If they build out in the suburbs of a city then I don't see how mass transit or traffic is relevant.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:38 PM, H-Town Man said:

The flooding is going to fade in the rearview mirror, especially when Houston treats the nation to a rousing World Series victory this fall, its stunning downtown on display. Convince yourself you deserve something and you will be amazed what you can get. Go for the hottest girl in the room.

 

EFF-ING TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD YOU SO!

 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2017 at 6:09 PM, Twinsanity02 said:

Why would Amazon go for Austin? Austin has UT,  a good music scene, and some nice hills ( pluses), but no major airport, no major league sports, I understand the traffic is quite bad, and where is their mass transit? Austin's "weirdness" image is all mass produced "weirdness" you can see anywhere. Overrated. As much as it pains me to say, DFW and Atlanta are better picks, especially Dallas.   Houston of course is the best of all picks.

They did convert a defunct freight lane into a somewhat useless commuter rail, which I have nothing against; however, it's only one-track. And their refusal of freeways (at least in the Oak Hill area) makes that area pretty difficult to get around in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you all think of the three surface lots between Austin and Caroline, south of the Four season? It is near several hotels, discovery green, the convention center,  MMP, toyota center and is walking distance to rail lines. One last thing, when the Hardy downtown connector is finished this area of the downtown will have fast access to Bush Intercontinental. 

Edited by Twinsanity02
adding one more point
Link to post
Share on other sites

Re Compaq:  my recollection is that the guys who sketched the original design on a paper napkin were (or had been) TI employees at the Stafford plant.  It's a shame that Houston lost one of its largest companies, which also happened to be a nationally important tech company for a number of years.  

 

Re Amazon:  OK, I won't mention that the TMC was built on land that was (or could have been) part of Hermann Park.  However, when 610 and 10 were built, they took a lot of land from Memorial Park.  Supposedly the Hogg Family that donated Memorial Park to the CoH did so on the condition that the land would revert to them if it was every used for any purpose other than as a park.  So ... I'm not sure on the details of how that transfer was done in accordance with that ... perhaps eminent domain?

Link to post
Share on other sites

This news article doesn't explain the legal issues involved in the acquisition of Memorial Park property for 610. But it says the proceeds were used to acquire new park sites. Keep in mind that the city, county and population all wanted freeways as fast as possible back in those days, so taking a thin 23-acre sliver from a huge 1489-acre park was viewed as acceptable in those days.

610w_1961-02-22_sale_of_memorial_park_land-crop.jpg

 

For the Hermann Park property which became the Medical center, I remember reading reports that a leading official (I think it was Planning Director Ralph Ellifrit) strongly objected to the development of the land since it was naturally wooded.

Edited by MaxConcrete
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Houston Ranked #23 behind a well placed Austin #6 and Dallas #7. Atlanta seems to have the best chance with a 2:1 odds favorite, followed closely by Austin. Hopefully we get high speed rail out of all of this. Houston, Dallas, Austin.

 

http://www.freep.com/story/money/business/2017/11/15/detroit-ranks-no-22-amazon-hq-2-contenders-list-but-high-enough/862710001/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

Houston Ranked #23 behind a well placed Austin #6 and Dallas #7. Atlanta seems to have the best chance with a 2:1 odds favorite, followed closely by Austin. Hopefully we get high speed rail out of all of this. Houston, Dallas, Austin.

 

http://www.freep.com/story/money/business/2017/11/15/detroit-ranks-no-22-amazon-hq-2-contenders-list-but-high-enough/862710001/

 

I'm hearing Denver may be the landing spot but Houston is an underdog so who knows.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:55 AM, Mr.Clean19 said:

Houston Ranked #23 behind a well placed Austin #6 and Dallas #7. Atlanta seems to have the best chance with a 2:1 odds favorite, followed closely by Austin. Hopefully we get high speed rail out of all of this. Houston, Dallas, Austin.

 

http://www.freep.com/story/money/business/2017/11/15/detroit-ranks-no-22-amazon-hq-2-contenders-list-but-high-enough/862710001/

 

 

Some of these rankings are so hilarious you wonder how the people who make them can get paid for what they do. Chicago, with the economy and corruption levels of Zimbabwe, ranks third, while Houston, the fastest growing city of the past decade, ranks 23rd, behind Detroit, the national symbol of urban failure? Just what were they basing any of this on?

 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

13 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

 

Some of these rankings are so hilarious you wonder how the people who make them can get paid for what they do. Chicago, with the economy and corruption levels of Zimbabwe, ranks third, while Houston, the fastest growing city of the past decade, ranks 23rd, behind Detroit, the national symbol of urban failure? Just what were they basing any of this on?

 

Amazon had a list of arbitrary things they wanted like mass transit, highly qualified people, etc. but placing Houston behind Detroit doesn't make sense. Detroit as a city is under a million people, and the combined MSA two and a half million people short of Houston's. They built a light rail, I think, along with their theme park ride around downtown, and neither of them is as useful as the Houston light rail system, which is quite functional in comparison, and if we're talking rail mass transit, Austin's is a joke. Additionally, Detroit doesn't have an educated population base, and isn't particularly diverse either at 83% black, unless you were one of those types that read "diversity" explicitly as "non-white", in which case Detroit would fit that, yes.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Every speculative or "expert" list of likely cities should be thrown out the window in light of the likelihood of the new tax law passing. Cities with high sate and local taxes are about to have their party come to an end, with homeowners now limited on how much they can deduct on their federal taxes regarding their SALT. Boston, Chicago, San Jose, San Francisco, NYC, Portland, all just got eliminated from contention. Houston's chances dramatically improved. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, htownbro said:

Well I guess Houston is still in the running for Amazon HQ2!  WE got passing grade of B- just as Austin and Dallas have as well!  This has to be a good feeling!

 

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/01/04/houston-scores-passing-grade-when-it-comes-to.html

 

Now that the new tax bill is law, Houston is indeed in the running. All the expensive blue states and their expensive cities cannot compete. If Houston only has to compete with other southern cities, then I will take that competition any day of the week. That being said, Atlanta is the city to beat on this one. Georgia is a good business state, Amazon has a symbiotic relationship with UPS, which is HQ'd in Atlanta, Atlanta has a growing tv and film industry that Amazon can tap into for their Prime tv content, Atlanta has the world's largest airport, two universities ranked in US News' top 35, affordable housing, etc...

 

Also for what it's worth, in December Amazon registered a lobbyist for the upcoming Georgia state legislative session... http://www.myajc.com/business/economy/amazon-lobbyist-registers-georgia-triggering-buzz-amid-hq2-search/AAMpJ8udbssA2igIjSQCCO/

 

However it ends up, Houston can be proud of their bid. Houston showed that in spite of Harvey that it is Strong and open for business. The new tax law will spur more corporations to move down south, so hopefully Houston can be in the running for those future moves when they occur. 

Edited by 102IAHexpress
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting that there are still a certain number of people out there willing to almost "bash" the larger "blue" cities as it were, knowing full well that Houston is and has been a "blue" city for progressive forward thinking for many years now.  Basically, it is a PLUS factor to be blue in Texas, just like Austin and now dallas.  I'm proud of Houston's status and it's place in competing to get Amazon's 2nd HQ site.  Also, there's a reason that the large "blue" cities are expensive over all.  It's because so many more people want to live in those places because of that color therefore the law of supply and demand dictates higher demand bringing higher prices.  What is incredible about Houston is that we've managed to maintain our progressiveness all these years while remaining BELOW the average costs of many necessities of living such as food and housing.  No, that's not just a Texas thing, it's a locality thing, also like Austin, San Antonio and Dallas, due to a progressive population (majorities) and mayors to match these ideals.

 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

Not to distract from your political pitch ArtNsf, but I believe people like to move to Houston because of the economic opportunities and affordability of the area. I dont think either of these are affected by politics but the housing sprawl and businesses that have thrived in this area... not the "Blue Wave" (So much cringe) . I'm excited that we are still in the running and I hear good things are around the corner at two of the potential lots in the Houston area regardless of the HQ2 bid.

Correct and I could not agree more. Texas has a very friendly business environment. By that I mean it has less regulatory and tax hurdles for business to maneuver. That has made more businesses move here as well allowed new ones to begin. You couple that with affordable housing and we have the logical reason for the growth across Texas including our 4 largest cities. Not some political naïveté. Politics may play a role in a very small group of people’s decisions but I would confidently say it’s pretty far down the list for majority of poeple. I to am excited at the potential. Regardless of the outcome great things will continue to come to Houston!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2018 at 11:30 AM, Mr.Clean19 said:

Not to distract from your political pitch ArtNsf, but I believe people like to move to Houston because of the economic opportunities and affordability of the area. I dont think either of these are affected by politics but the housing sprawl and businesses that have thrived in this area... not the "Blue Wave" (So much cringe) . I'm excited that we are still in the running and I hear good things are around the corner at two of the potential lots in the Houston area regardless of the HQ2 bid.

 

What are you hearing about the 2 potential lots if we don't get HQ2 bid?  Do tell...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ArtNsf said:

So very sad, but your criticism wreaks of right wing talk media talking points and the hate that goes with it.  I guess everyone would do well to remember that it wasn't so-called "liberal justice warriors" that put a Russian puppet operative in the white house that is now quickly trying to destroy our democracy and way of life as real Americans.  Can't put it any clearer than that.  But, then again, we have had literally decades of right wing propaganda pounding into our heads and the new media, the extremist fascism that has now taken full control over Washington, DC.  It's true, you repeat a falsehood over and over for many years and eventually weak minded fools, especially frightened Americans, start believing in it until you get to this point in history.

 

Like I've said so many times, it is very refreshing to watch Houston combat this national extremist drift and be successful, DESPITE, the hatred from the far right of anything that smacks of diversity or "justice" or equality.

 

I'd like to convey my thoughts to Amazon about our fair city being a wonderful candidate for their 2nd HQ and call upon them to even view this blog as evidence of our commitment to their venture.  Thank you Amazon.

 

Rein it in.  If you want to talk politics that's fine, just do it in the appropriate forum.  Keep it on topic here  please.  

 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:30 AM, Mr.Clean19 said:

Not to distract from your political pitch ArtNsf, but I believe people like to move to Houston because of the economic opportunities and affordability of the area. I dont think either of these are affected by politics but the housing sprawl and businesses that have thrived in this area... not the "Blue Wave" (So much cringe) . I'm excited that we are still in the running and I hear good things are around the corner at two of the potential lots in the Houston area regardless of the HQ2 bid.

there's no pitch, just facts - verifiable facts.  all very lacking in America these days.  fight all you want against those facts, but they still remain true.  thank you.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Subdude said:

 

Rein it in.  If you want to talk politics that's fine, just do it in the appropriate forum.  Keep it on topic here  please.  

 

just get so tired of this forum always "letting other commenters" get away with some very right leaning conversations, yet it's so very interesting how whenever someone from a different perspective tries to add to the conversation or "correct" any obvious right wing propaganda, they are shot down.  I find that not only curious, but not in keeping with the idea of free and fair discussion.  And, yes, politics is a part of our history and our growth no doubt about it, and of course, that relates to our wonderful architecture and this forum.  I dare anyone to prove otherwise.

 

Yes, I'll rein it in as you have said.  For the good of the forum, but not the incorrect yet subtle lies I read, and therefore not bowing down to specific commenters.  Good day.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

It amazes me how we're still in the running yet no publication has us listed other than dallass and Austin. 

agreed.  It's almost as if they are biased in favor of the other two texas cities in the running. But, that can't be can it ?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ArtNsf said:

agreed.  It's almost as if they are biased in favor of the other two texas cities in the running. But, that can't be can it ?

It is weird. I’ve always thought that no one in this country likes seeing Houston succeed. I live in Seattle, and when people ask where I’m from, most of the times they give me an ugly look. I have even had someone say, “I am so sorry”. But I’ve switched it up to saying I’m from Austin to see if people react differently, and sure enough they do! I get reaction such as, “that’s awesome! I’ve heard only good things about Austin. It’s beautiful”

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pablog said:

It is weird. I’ve always thought that no one in this country likes seeing Houston succeed. I live in Seattle, and when people ask where I’m from, most of the times they give me an ugly look. I have even had someone say, “I am so sorry”. But I’ve switched it up to saying I’m from Austin to see if people react differently, and sure enough they do! I get reaction such as, “that’s awesome! I’ve heard only good things about Austin. It’s beautiful”

I'd tell them I'm sorry you have to deal with terrible weather year round or ask them if they know what the sun looks like. The perception of Houston is so terrible outside of living here. When I take joy rides thru town I always wonder what's so bad about us. Houston is actually a pretty nice city. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I'd tell them I'm sorry you have to deal with terrible weather year round or ask them if they know what the sun looks like. The perception of Houston is so terrible outside of living here. When I take joy rides thru town I always wonder what's so bad about us. Houston is actually a pretty nice city. 

Oh I do tell them that they have nothing to say sorry about, because sure enough I like Houston more than Seattle, and that people are nicer. I don’t get the negative perception either 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2018 at 6:27 PM, htownbro said:

Well I guess Houston is still in the running for Amazon HQ2!  WE got passing grade of B- just as Austin and Dallas have as well!  This has to be a good feeling!

 

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/01/04/houston-scores-passing-grade-when-it-comes-to.html

 

Actually, nothing is publicly known about which cities are still in the running. That report from CNBC gave Houston a B- for meeting Amazon's  criteria, but the CNBC analysis has nothing to do with Amazon's decision-making process.

 

So Houston (or any other viable city) can't make any assumptions about still being in the competition. I have not seen any news reports about the status of Amazon's analysis, and it's possible any short list (if there even will be a short list) is weeks or months in the future.

 

Of course it is also possible that Amazon is secretly negotiating with short list sites, but nothing is publicly known.

 

 

Edited by MaxConcrete
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2018 at 11:00 AM, ArtNsf said:

just get so tired of this forum always "letting other commenters" get away with some very right leaning conversations, yet it's so very interesting how whenever someone from a different perspective tries to add to the conversation or "correct" any obvious right wing propaganda, they are shot down.  I find that not only curious, but not in keeping with the idea of free and fair discussion.  And, yes, politics is a part of our history and our growth no doubt about it, and of course, that relates to our wonderful architecture and this forum.  I dare anyone to prove otherwise.

 

Yes, I'll rein it in as you have said.  For the good of the forum, but not the incorrect yet subtle lies I read, and therefore not bowing down to specific commenters.  Good day.

Try posting a dissenting political opinion on offthekuff. They delete anything remotely non-liberal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:34 PM, MaxConcrete said:

 

Actually, nothing is publicly known about which cities are still in the running. That report from CNBC gave Houston a B- for meeting Amazon's  criteria, but the CNBC analysis has nothing to do with Amazon's decision-making process.

 

So Houston (or any other viable city) can't make any assumptions about still being in the competition. I have not seen any news reports about the status of Amazon's analysis, and it's possible any short list (if there even will be a short list) is weeks or months in the future.

 

Of course it is also possible that Amazon is secretly negotiating with short list sites, but nothing is publicly known.

 

 

Exactly.  Nothing to indicated that Houston (or any other city) is in, or out, of the running.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/amazon/2018/01/11/bids-lure-amazons-hq2-cities-wont-disclose-offering-incentives

 

a draft of Houston's plan calls for about $268 million in inducements,

I think Greater Houston Partnership is really trying to sell the Innovation Cooridor and not the East River Property. The East River lot would be good because it would have 2 TIRZ located on the lot and would be able to immediately funnel money back into it's development. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazon is negotiating for 500,000 sf of office space in downtown Boston, which matches the initial requirement in the project specification, and they are also negotiating for another building for the next 500,000 sf. This is seems to be the best clue that has emerged so far about a possible winner.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/columnists/ori/ct-biz-amazon-hq2-ryan-ori-20180111-story.html

https://www.constructiondive.com/news/amazon-could-be-leaning-toward-boston-for-new-hq2/514674/

 

This report in the Dallas Morning News says the large office space requirement is separate from HQ2.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/amazon/2018/01/12/week-amazon-o-mania-watch-beantown-make-late-game-push-hq2

 

So maybe this space is for HQ2, or it could be a technology hub separate from HQ2. There have been reports since the process started that Amazon executives favored Boston, and there is going to be a large presence in Boston even if this office space is not for HQ2.

Edited by MaxConcrete
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

Whoa.... I dont think apple would be as good a fit for Houston though. With our heavy industry market, we can at least provide logistics experts to Amazon. Apple would be a better fit for Austin.

 

True. However, Austin and other cities will have huge logistical challenges in competing for Amazon and Apple. Also, one of Amazon's 'complaints' is the potential for other tech companies to pouch their workers. Houston's chances for Amazon HQ2 just increased, again. Thank you President Trump. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So, im curious how the new tax plan will benefit houston. I even heard that that there were opportunities to reduce the corporate tax rate if you build in a low income area (5th Ward, East River?) Does anyone know if this is true or if there is a net positive affect for the potential for Houston Development.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 102IAHexpress said:

Apple just announced they are investing 350 billion in the US over the next five years, hiring 20K news jobs in the US and are planning a new campus outside of the bay area. Apple HQ2. Amazing. 

 

I wonder if these little "second headquarters" (i.e. BACK OFFICE) competitions become more and more common as tech companies shift out of the high cost states. We are probably bound to get one sooner or later, even if we miss this one.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...