Amazon HQ2

Timoric

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, htownbro said:

Well I guess Houston is still in the running for Amazon HQ2!  WE got passing grade of B- just as Austin and Dallas have as well!  This has to be a good feeling!

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/01/04/houston-scores-passing-grade-when-it-comes-to.html

Now that the new tax bill is law, Houston is indeed in the running. All the expensive blue states and their expensive cities cannot compete. If Houston only has to compete with other southern cities, then I will take that competition any day of the week. That being said, Atlanta is the city to beat on this one. Georgia is a good business state, Amazon has a symbiotic relationship with UPS, which is HQ'd in Atlanta, Atlanta has a growing tv and film industry that Amazon can tap into for their Prime tv content, Atlanta has the world's largest airport, two universities ranked in US News' top 35, affordable housing, etc...

Also for what it's worth, in December Amazon registered a lobbyist for the upcoming Georgia state legislative session... http://www.myajc.com/business/economy/amazon-lobbyist-registers-georgia-triggering-buzz-amid-hq2-search/AAMpJ8udbssA2igIjSQCCO/

However it ends up, Houston can be proud of their bid. Houston showed that in spite of Harvey that it is Strong and open for business. The new tax law will spur more corporations to move down south, so hopefully Houston can be in the running for those future moves when they occur. 

Interesting that there are still a certain number of people out there willing to almost "bash" the larger "blue" cities as it were, knowing full well that Houston is and has been a "blue" city for progressive forward thinking for many years now.  Basically, it is a PLUS factor to be blue in Texas, just like Austin and now dallas.  I'm proud of Houston's status and it's place in competing to get Amazon's 2nd HQ site.  Also, there's a reason that the large "blue" cities are expensive over all.  It's because so many more people want to live in those places because of that color therefore the law of supply and demand dictates higher demand bringing higher prices.  What is incredible about Houston is that we've managed to maintain our progressiveness all these years while remaining BELOW the average costs of many necessities of living such as food and housing.  No, that's not just a Texas thing, it's a locality thing, also like Austin, San Antonio and Dallas, due to a progressive population (majorities) and mayors to match these ideals.

1 hour ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

Not to distract from your political pitch ArtNsf, but I believe people like to move to Houston because of the economic opportunities and affordability of the area. I dont think either of these are affected by politics but the housing sprawl and businesses that have thrived in this area... not the "Blue Wave" (So much cringe) . I'm excited that we are still in the running and I hear good things are around the corner at two of the potential lots in the Houston area regardless of the HQ2 bid.

Correct and I could not agree more. Texas has a very friendly business environment. By that I mean it has less regulatory and tax hurdles for business to maneuver. That has made more businesses move here as well allowed new ones to begin. You couple that with affordable housing and we have the logical reason for the growth across Texas including our 4 largest cities. Not some political naïveté. Politics may play a role in a very small group of people’s decisions but I would confidently say it’s pretty far down the list for majority of poeple. I to am excited at the potential. Regardless of the outcome great things will continue to come to Houston!

On 1/6/2018 at 11:30 AM, Mr.Clean19 said:

Not to distract from your political pitch ArtNsf, but I believe people like to move to Houston because of the economic opportunities and affordability of the area. I dont think either of these are affected by politics but the housing sprawl and businesses that have thrived in this area... not the "Blue Wave" (So much cringe) . I'm excited that we are still in the running and I hear good things are around the corner at two of the potential lots in the Houston area regardless of the HQ2 bid.

What are you hearing about the 2 potential lots if we don't get HQ2 bid?  Do tell...

14 hours ago, ArtNsf said:

So very sad, but your criticism wreaks of right wing talk media talking points and the hate that goes with it.  I guess everyone would do well to remember that it wasn't so-called "liberal justice warriors" that put a Russian puppet operative in the white house that is now quickly trying to destroy our democracy and way of life as real Americans.  Can't put it any clearer than that.  But, then again, we have had literally decades of right wing propaganda pounding into our heads and the new media, the extremist fascism that has now taken full control over Washington, DC.  It's true, you repeat a falsehood over and over for many years and eventually weak minded fools, especially frightened Americans, start believing in it until you get to this point in history.

Like I've said so many times, it is very refreshing to watch Houston combat this national extremist drift and be successful, DESPITE, the hatred from the far right of anything that smacks of diversity or "justice" or equality.

I'd like to convey my thoughts to Amazon about our fair city being a wonderful candidate for their 2nd HQ and call upon them to even view this blog as evidence of our commitment to their venture.  Thank you Amazon.

Rein it in.  If you want to talk politics that's fine, just do it in the appropriate forum.  Keep it on topic here  please.  

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:30 AM, Mr.Clean19 said:

there's no pitch, just facts - verifiable facts.  all very lacking in America these days.  fight all you want against those facts, but they still remain true.  thank you.

4 hours ago, Subdude said:

Rein it in.  If you want to talk politics that's fine, just do it in the appropriate forum.  Keep it on topic here  please.  

just get so tired of this forum always "letting other commenters" get away with some very right leaning conversations, yet it's so very interesting how whenever someone from a different perspective tries to add to the conversation or "correct" any obvious right wing propaganda, they are shot down.  I find that not only curious, but not in keeping with the idea of free and fair discussion.  And, yes, politics is a part of our history and our growth no doubt about it, and of course, that relates to our wonderful architecture and this forum.  I dare anyone to prove otherwise.

Yes, I'll rein it in as you have said.  For the good of the forum, but not the incorrect yet subtle lies I read, and therefore not bowing down to specific commenters.  Good day.

3 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

It amazes me how we're still in the running yet no publication has us listed other than dallass and Austin. 

agreed.  It's almost as if they are biased in favor of the other two texas cities in the running. But, that can't be can it ?

9 minutes ago, ArtNsf said:

agreed.  It's almost as if they are biased in favor of the other two texas cities in the running. But, that can't be can it ?

It is weird. I’ve always thought that no one in this country likes seeing Houston succeed. I live in Seattle, and when people ask where I’m from, most of the times they give me an ugly look. I have even had someone say, “I am so sorry”. But I’ve switched it up to saying I’m from Austin to see if people react differently, and sure enough they do! I get reaction such as, “that’s awesome! I’ve heard only good things about Austin. It’s beautiful”

1 hour ago, pablog said:

It is weird. I’ve always thought that no one in this country likes seeing Houston succeed. I live in Seattle, and when people ask where I’m from, most of the times they give me an ugly look. I have even had someone say, “I am so sorry”. But I’ve switched it up to saying I’m from Austin to see if people react differently, and sure enough they do! I get reaction such as, “that’s awesome! I’ve heard only good things about Austin. It’s beautiful”

I'd tell them I'm sorry you have to deal with terrible weather year round or ask them if they know what the sun looks like. The perception of Houston is so terrible outside of living here. When I take joy rides thru town I always wonder what's so bad about us. Houston is actually a pretty nice city. 

2 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I'd tell them I'm sorry you have to deal with terrible weather year round or ask them if they know what the sun looks like. The perception of Houston is so terrible outside of living here. When I take joy rides thru town I always wonder what's so bad about us. Houston is actually a pretty nice city. 

Oh I do tell them that they have nothing to say sorry about, because sure enough I like Houston more than Seattle, and that people are nicer. I don’t get the negative perception either 

On 1/4/2018 at 6:27 PM, htownbro said:

Well I guess Houston is still in the running for Amazon HQ2!  WE got passing grade of B- just as Austin and Dallas have as well!  This has to be a good feeling!

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2018/01/04/houston-scores-passing-grade-when-it-comes-to.html

Actually, nothing is publicly known about which cities are still in the running. That report from CNBC gave Houston a B- for meeting Amazon's  criteria, but the CNBC analysis has nothing to do with Amazon's decision-making process.

So Houston (or any other viable city) can't make any assumptions about still being in the competition. I have not seen any news reports about the status of Amazon's analysis, and it's possible any short list (if there even will be a short list) is weeks or months in the future.

Of course it is also possible that Amazon is secretly negotiating with short list sites, but nothing is publicly known.

On 1/9/2018 at 11:00 AM, ArtNsf said:

just get so tired of this forum always "letting other commenters" get away with some very right leaning conversations, yet it's so very interesting how whenever someone from a different perspective tries to add to the conversation or "correct" any obvious right wing propaganda, they are shot down.  I find that not only curious, but not in keeping with the idea of free and fair discussion.  And, yes, politics is a part of our history and our growth no doubt about it, and of course, that relates to our wonderful architecture and this forum.  I dare anyone to prove otherwise.

Yes, I'll rein it in as you have said.  For the good of the forum, but not the incorrect yet subtle lies I read, and therefore not bowing down to specific commenters.  Good day.

Try posting a dissenting political opinion on offthekuff. They delete anything remotely non-liberal.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:34 PM, MaxConcrete said:

Actually, nothing is publicly known about which cities are still in the running. That report from CNBC gave Houston a B- for meeting Amazon's  criteria, but the CNBC analysis has nothing to do with Amazon's decision-making process.

So Houston (or any other viable city) can't make any assumptions about still being in the competition. I have not seen any news reports about the status of Amazon's analysis, and it's possible any short list (if there even will be a short list) is weeks or months in the future.

Of course it is also possible that Amazon is secretly negotiating with short list sites, but nothing is publicly known.

Exactly.  Nothing to indicated that Houston (or any other city) is in, or out, of the running.  

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/amazon/2018/01/11/bids-lure-amazons-hq2-cities-wont-disclose-offering-incentives

a draft of Houston's plan calls for about $268 million in inducements,

I think Greater Houston Partnership is really trying to sell the Innovation Cooridor and not the East River Property. The East River lot would be good because it would have 2 TIRZ located on the lot and would be able to immediately funnel money back into it's development. 

Amazon is negotiating for 500,000 sf of office space in downtown Boston, which matches the initial requirement in the project specification, and they are also negotiating for another building for the next 500,000 sf. This is seems to be the best clue that has emerged so far about a possible winner.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/columnists/ori/ct-biz-amazon-hq2-ryan-ori-20180111-story.html

https://www.constructiondive.com/news/amazon-could-be-leaning-toward-boston-for-new-hq2/514674/

This report in the Dallas Morning News says the large office space requirement is separate from HQ2.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/amazon/2018/01/12/week-amazon-o-mania-watch-beantown-make-late-game-push-hq2

So maybe this space is for HQ2, or it could be a technology hub separate from HQ2. There have been reports since the process started that Amazon executives favored Boston, and there is going to be a large presence in Boston even if this office space is not for HQ2.

9 minutes ago, Mr.Clean19 said:

Whoa.... I dont think apple would be as good a fit for Houston though. With our heavy industry market, we can at least provide logistics experts to Amazon. Apple would be a better fit for Austin.

True. However, Austin and other cities will have huge logistical challenges in competing for Amazon and Apple. Also, one of Amazon's 'complaints' is the potential for other tech companies to pouch their workers. Houston's chances for Amazon HQ2 just increased, again. Thank you President Trump. 

So, im curious how the new tax plan will benefit houston. I even heard that that there were opportunities to reduce the corporate tax rate if you build in a low income area (5th Ward, East River?) Does anyone know if this is true or if there is a net positive affect for the potential for Houston Development.

1 hour ago, 102IAHexpress said:

Apple just announced they are investing 350 billion in the US over the next five years, hiring 20K news jobs in the US and are planning a new campus outside of the bay area. Apple HQ2. Amazing. 

I wonder if these little "second headquarters" (i.e. BACK OFFICE) competitions become more and more common as tech companies shift out of the high cost states. We are probably bound to get one sooner or later, even if we miss this one.

25 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

I wonder if these little "second headquarters" (i.e. BACK OFFICE) competitions become more and more common as tech companies shift out of the high cost states. We are probably bound to get one sooner or later, even if we miss this one.

Bechtel and Chevron did the same thing. They keep core folks in San Fran but run the main work out of their satellite offices in Houston and elsewhere.

Archived