Sign in to follow this  
Urbannizer

19 N York Street

CrockpotandGravel    4,336

Houston food truck Victorian's Barbecue is moving to 19 N York St in the Second Ward.

From Houston Food Finder:

A barbecue business currently in the Heights is making the jump to a permanent location east of downtown Houston the beginning of next year. Joey Victorian, pitmaster and owner of Victorian’s Barbecue, made the announcement at the 2018 Houston Barbecue Festival (and on social media) on Sunday, April 15. The planned location is a 1,500 square foot building to be constructed at 19 North York between Canal and Commerce streets.

Right now—and for some time to come—the Victorian’s Barbecue trailer is at 1114 West 18th in the Heights and runs Thursday through Saturday from 11 a.m. until sold out (usually no later than 4 p.m.). He is looking at adding a barbecue sandwich day on Wednesdays as well.

Victorian says he was spurred to find a permanent location after a rental rate hike on the lot where he’s parked. “We may as well be in a brick-and-mortar if we’re going to pay this much to be on a piece of land,” he said. “Our business is growing. In order to grow with it and do more catering, have more storage and hire more employees, we’re going to have to have a brick-and-mortar to do so.

At the new place, patrons are going to be able to watch meat get sliced on-demand behind a cafeteria-style serving area. Garage doors on the side will open to give access to a crushed granite patio. Some additional tables are going to be inside in case the weather is bad. Victorian plans to move his trailer there while the building is under construction, then repurpose it for serving desserts. A shipping container will serve as an outside bar.

That’s still some time away. Victorian’s target opening date is January 1, 2019. However, in the meantime he’s hoping to have some pop-ups at the new address. There are dead pecan trees that need to be removed there. Of course, Victorian is repurposing them as wood for the smoker, so pecan-smoked meats in the future are a certainty.

https://houstonfoodfinder.com/2018/04/17/victorians-barbecue-aims-for-houstons-east-side/

• Like 4

Specwriter    201
19 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Houston food truck Victorian's Barbecue is moving to 19 N York St in the Second Ward.

At the new place, patrons are going to be able to watch meat get sliced on-demand behind a cafeteria-style serving area.

I like the idea that Victorian's will have a 'permanent' location on the East Side. There are several places to get good bar-b-que in the city but there is always room for another good one. No pun intended. I also think it is great Joey Victorian will be able to use pecan wood on the site for smoking meat and that there will be a shipping container bar.

I'm in a playful mood this Friday afternoon so I am also pleased I will be able to "watch meat get sliced on-demand." I can just imagine going into the restaurant and telling the person behind the cafeteria line to "Slice some meat!" I will probably even buy it and eat it. :)  Really, most bar-b-que restaurants I frequent work in just this way. Perhaps the copy editor for Food Finder needed a few more lines to fill space.

• Haha 1

CrockpotandGravel    4,336

From Victorian's Barbecue opening at 19 N York St in Houston:

According to Google Earth Timeline this building was around prior to 1944. Talking to the people around it has been a room for rent for the homeless and a welding shop. Cool to know and NOW, it’s going to be our future bbq brick and mortar EAST END BABY!!!
i8VhRIS.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/BlEQi2IHsKT

Done for the night. Just going to leave this here
TktDgXqr.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/BlE4y8hH_bj/