Greenway Plaza Airport

Zenjive

When I was a kid, late 70s, early 80s, I had heard stories of a planned airport for short-takeoff craft that was planned to be on the south side of 59 at Greenway Plaza, between 59 and Westpark. I think the plan originated in the 60s, but never came to, probably due to obvious safety and noise issues.

Had anyone else heard of this? I did a cursory google search and came up empty handed.

• Like 1

Never heard of that. But I do know I once took a helicopter ride offshore and I was picked up at Westpark and 610, where the Loop Central buildings are now. This was October 1989. Actually, we had to sit on the ground waiting for quite awhile before we could take off because President Bush was nearby (probably at the Pin Oak Stables, if they were still around) and we couldn't take off until he had left the area. 

It was a big, empty field with one of those circular concrete helipads. 

There are some big power lines right there too, running east/west down Westpark. I don't remember if they were there in 1989, but if they were, that area sure doesn't sound like a good place to land aircraft. 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

The airport was to be located in the area of where Westpark now is and the now non existent street Navajo. It would have run from Edloe down to Weslayan. There used to be a model of what Greenway was proposed to look like when completed near the food court. This would have been in the 70's.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Greenway Plaza/Westpark Airport

More information from HAIF member @Dub

When I worked in Greenway Plaza back in 1980 there was a model of the complex in the 'Underground' which depicted a multi story parking garage to be built across 59 which would accommodate propeller driven aircraft. Another case of common sense not allowing something to be constructed I guess?

• The title was changed to Greenway Plaza Airport

I was browsing the newspaper The Bellaire & Southwestern Texan dated September 11, 1974 and came across this business ad for help wanted.

Cashiers wanted: Positions will be at the Houston Intercontinental Airport, Greenway Plaza Airport Terminal, City Post Oak Airport Terminal, & South Main Airport Terminal.

Air Coach, Express Airport Transportation.

Jgpd2QI.png

Article from the Plaza Commerce Bank drive-through grand opening. Their headquarters was located across the street (or freeway.)

Our new motor bank is particular easy to reach from the West University-Bellaire Area Mr. Savage said. “Simply drive north on Weslayan and turn east on the Southwest Freeway inbound feeder. We're just beyond the Greenway Plaza airport terminal. You return home by turning south on Edloe,” he said, “or you can reach the main bank lobby by turning north on Edloe.”

xFEolDB.png