Greenspoint Mall To Be Redeveloped To Mixed-Use Development

On 8/21/2017 at 3:47 PM, Purpledevil said:

Not quite. There were parts of the Greenspoint Mall floor plan would've been left enclosed in the original layout. Others would have become open air.

This still could work if Greater Greenspoint District ever achieves its vision of a sky bridge connecting to the office buildings across Greenspoint Dr. I'm thinking Factory Outlets mixed in with restaurants, and the existing cinema & Fitness Connection could do well here. 

I also think if more of the GP Mall redevelopment is focused towards Greenspoint Dr, eliminating swaths of parking lots in between that and the office towers, could produce a fairly dense developed area that might look more desirable. 

1) Connect Benmar Dr to the 45N feeder road by knocking down the portion of the mall in front of Dillard's. Let Dillard's and the others stay. Future connection of Benmar and Gears on the other side of 45 next time construction takes place.

2) Give Wal-Mart and HEB deals of a lifetime on land deals on opposite ends of the property. To rejuvenate an area you must bring in the people. HEB and Walmart will bring in the retailers that follow them everywhere. The area is in desperate need of grocery options. 

3) Develop a park fronting Greenspoint Dr and the office buildings. Food options at the park for the daytime office workers a must. Add jogging trails that course throughout the property. Plant a ton of trees.  

4) Make the big development money building 4-5 story apartment wraps with structured parking and office buildings as the market dictates.

Don't try to do it all at once. Don't try to kick out the retailers that want to stay.  

1. I see no need to connect Benmar and 45. Especially with an open parking lot you can simply drive through. Extending Benmar to me just seems like creating a speed hazard that does not improve the area.

2. When it was cool outside I would walk from Imperial valley to the Walmart And Fiesta on West road, or the Kroger (now closed) and 99c only on greens. A Walmart that close would probably not survive. It's less than 2 miles away from another Walmart with two more fairly close on 1960. There is also Joe Vs down on 45 and a 4th Walmart on Airline. 

3. I agree with the trees and greenery. Crossing that huge parking lot is brutal. But your benmar plan would hurt the jogging trail idea. There are miles and miles of jogging trail along the bayou and people jog along the former Exxon complex and along imperial valley. If they could extend that to the mall that would be great. 

4. I am not sure if the market is there for more wraps right now. The tax day flood decimated occupancy in the area with many residents fleeing to Ella. The area is already saturated with wraps. Not sure about leasing in the Exxon buildings so I don't know if there is a market for office either. Keeping it retail with some special draw would be the best bet for now as the area isn't currently lacking in residential, grocery, office or hotel.

Lone Star has that small campus in the office building across the beltway. It'd be great if they could turn the mall into a giant Lone Star College Campus.

Unfortunately the former department stores still own their buildings, leading to a patchwork of different owners that makes it difficult to ever come up with one cohesive plan.

1 hour ago, Dolphin said:

Lone Star has that small campus in the office building across the beltway. It'd be great if they could turn the mall into a giant Lone Star College Campus.

Unfortunately the former department stores still own their buildings, leading to a patchwork of different owners that makes it difficult to ever come up with one cohesive plan.

I say transform it into a big entertainment complex like Marq E Houston.  Retail, bars, clubs, concert venue, theater, etc.  all with palm trees

4 hours ago, htownbro said:

I say transform it into a big entertainment complex like Marq E Houston.  Retail, bars, clubs, concert venue, theater, etc.  all with palm trees

The only problem with that is that I don't think Marq*E has ever been as successful as it was intended. And in the Greenspoint area, it's just another place for unsavory characters to loiter. The good thing is that they can integrate the existing movie theater and fitness place into it if they did turn it into an entertainment center.

• 2 months later...

I really like the idea of more open air development in this area. I don't feel this area NEEDS to be another CityCentre style development. I've never been a fan of Greenspoint for a number of reasons. One of the MAIN reasons though is that the natural landscape is underutilized. This area has lots of pine trees. I think it's great for business parks along with attracting large campuses for companies. The idea of a driving range/gold course works well with this. The only reason I say all of this is because I think the city needs to focus mostly on inner loop city centers and drawing people in to the loop, not keeping them in the burbs.

On 11/9/2017 at 10:58 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

I really like the idea of more open air development in this area. I don't feel this area NEEDS to be another CityCentre style development. I've never been a fan of Greenspoint for a number of reasons. One of the MAIN reasons though is that the natural landscape is underutilized. This area has lots of pine trees. I think it's great for business parks along with attracting large campuses for companies. The idea of a driving range/gold course works well with this. The only reason I say all of this is because I think the city needs to focus mostly on inner loop city centers and drawing people in to the loop, not keeping them in the burbs.

I think it's a great concept.  The inner loop is already crowded as is and the burbs bring much traffic.  

• 1 year later...

https://www.ziebengroup.com/portfolio/industrial/

The Zieben Group (ZG) plans to revitalize the former Greenspoint Mall site located in the rebranded, North Houston District. The property is located on a 125-acre, four-parcel site located at the Northeast intersection of Beltway 8 and Interstate 45, where an estimated 500,000 cars a day pass by. The site is in an Opportunity Zone. ZG has been the first and only group to put all four parcels under contract simultaneously.

ZG plans to develop an industrial business campus, Revolution Park. It will have approximately seven industrial buildings, a lake with other water features scattered throughout the site, walking trails, a new high-speed BRT transit center, Fuel Station, Retail including a bank, and 300 – 500 units of workforce housing.

19 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Warehouses. So Greenspoint Mall will become warehouses. Makes perfect sense. Retail is in decline and warehouse/distribution is hotter than ever. Major freeway interchange, Pinto Business Park to the southwest a huge success. Too bad for those office buildings, I don't think this will help their prospects.

2 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Warehouses. So Greenspoint Mall will become warehouses. Makes perfect sense. Retail is in decline and warehouse/distribution is hotter than ever. Major freeway interchange, Pinto Business Park to the southwest a huge success. Too bad for those office buildings, I don't think this will help their prospects.

I don't know. Lets see. If they go with a techy, sorta retro-industrial look and feel like they are doing with The Foundry on I-10 then maybe this will be something. Definitely better than a dead mall thats for sure.

45 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

What I find interesting is they list a few of the changes that will be made and one of those is a BRT station. This is the second development I've seen jump the gun before the vote. Are developers that confident the Metro bond will pass?

I'm surprised some of these large developers haven't put out ads promoting the Metro bond as being great for business.

55 minutes ago, Luminare said:

I don't know. Lets see. If they go with a techy, sorta retro-industrial look and feel like they are doing with The Foundry on I-10 then maybe this will be something. Definitely better than a dead mall thats for sure.

I guess it could be a flex business center which would be much better at that location. And that would sort of line up with the description "industrial business campus." I think the old shopping center across I-45 from there became some sort of business center catering to back office tech.

More from their website:

The Zieben Group is developing a 125-acre site into its first Industrial Mixed-Use campus located in North Houston that will house major distributors from across the U.S. There will be over 1,500,000 square feet in industrial space. Other campus components will include Retail, Residential, and Transportation facilities.

---

This developer did the Residences at Hardy Yards.

18 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

More from their website:

The Zieben Group is developing a 125-acre site into its first Industrial Mixed-Use campus located in North Houston that will house major distributors from across the U.S. There will be over 1,500,000 square feet in industrial space. Other campus components will include Retail, Residential, and Transportation facilities.

---

This developer did the Residences at Hardy Yards.

I don't hate this they make a legit effort to hire within the community 

Some see a bunch of warehouse I see potentinialy hundreds ofjobs for a area that largely poor minorities that  work on ave 30 mins from where they live.

4 minutes ago, Moore713 said:

I don't hate this they make a legit effort to hire within the community 

Some see a bunch of warehouse I see potentinialy hundreds ofjobs for a area that largely poor minorities that  work on ave 30 mins from where they live.

Agree. Would be wise to not be to snotty or snobbish about this potential development. What is needed is jobs and better access to opportunities more than anything else. That is priority one. everything else is a distant second. If this company is willing to throw this much money into this area even if it is going to be heavy on the industrial side of commerce then that is a win-win. Honestly will bring a unique character to the area. Not every urban core project needs to be or look like a city center with a bunch of tall buildings. Give me a group of companies that businesses that are willing to develop a unique place and community.

6 minutes ago, Luminare said:

Agree. Would be wise to not be to snotty or snobbish about this potential development. What is needed is jobs and better access to opportunities more than anything else. That is priority one. everything else is a distant second. If this company is willing to throw this much money into this area even if it is going to be heavy on the industrial side of commerce then that is a win-win. Honestly will bring a unique character to the area. Not every urban core project needs to be or look like a city center with a bunch of tall buildings. Give me a group of companies that businesses that are willing to develop a unique place and community.

No one is being snotty or snobbish. It would be much better for the area if this were a flex/business park than a warehouse/distribution park. You already have more warehouses than you can count within a 3-mile radius, with ample vacant land for more warehouses. If you want a warehouse job and live near Greenspoint, you have hit the jackpot. But the Greenspoint district proper will thrive much more long term if there is not a line of semi trucks going in and out of it. Flex parks have jobs for the local folks too - and so do the office buildings and hotels across the street which are much more likely to remain viable if they are not looking out over warehouses.

All that being said, I am optimistic about this based on the mixture of uses they are proposing.

3 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

No one is being snotty or snobbish. It would be much better for the area if this were a flex/business park than a warehouse/distribution park. You already have more warehouses than you can count within a 3-mile radius, with ample vacant land for more warehouses. If you want a warehouse job and live near Greenspoint, you have hit the jackpot. But the Greenspoint district proper will thrive much more long term if there is not a line of semi trucks going in and out of it. Flex parks have jobs for the local folks too - and so do the office buildings and hotels across the street which are much more likely to remain viable if they are not looking out over warehouses.

All that being said, I am optimistic about this based on the mixture of uses they are proposing.

so you are saying you don't want a Katy sized Buckee's next to the skyscrapers?!

19 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

I guess it could be a flex business center which would be much better at that location. And that would sort of line up with the description "industrial business campus." I think the old shopping center across I-45 from there became some sort of business center catering to back office tech.

The center across the freeway is all, or mostly, a data center. 

• The title was changed to Greenspoint Mall To Be Redeveloped To Mixed-Use Development

Archived