Kirby Crossing: UK Mixed-Use With A HEB, W. Alabama At Kirby Dr.

swtsig

Looks like HEB is really pushing hard for their new urban concept... this could be a large development (just my speculation). no mention of mixed use but it looks like their urban concepts are shooting for that where feasible and this would certainly be a feasible location.

http://www.chron.com/business/real-estate/article/H-E-B-planning-Upper-Kirby-land-buy-11743119.php?ipid=ntk 

• Like 8

I like HEB, but this is just plain stupid considering proximity to the other location (unless they plan to sell the Buffalo Speedway one). I'm sick of having to drive that far already and need them to open a damn HEB for the med center.

• Like 1

They've adopted  the Mattress Firm business plan.  H.it  E.very  B.lock

Kirby would have been a great choice if it was going in between Rice and Sunset.

Seriously, they should consider a Central Market somewhere  in the middle of the Montrose, River Oaks,  Rice Village, and

Museum district.  

Im sure theres a location in the middle of that very fertile area  that would serve a huge high end market. 

• Like 7

I recall reading that HEB's most profitable stores are those in the Inner Loop. Anecdotally, the Montrose Market is always packed to the gills, so I could see the desire for another store as a reliever.  One thing I'm curious about is the catchment areas for these stores. It seems that, were HEB to move forward on this site, Shepherd Plaza, and MacGregor at 288, the stores would start to cannibalize one another. 

• Like 3

I think Randall's and even the Kroger's may not be long for this world. Especially if HEB moves forward. 

**edit: Some stores, not the entire companies.

Go go to any HEB and people are crammed in there. Head to Randall's and its crickets. Kroger is better but not by much. 

I'm hoping the next Central Market is in Midtown or Downtown. Space them out a bit if the company is not going to build as many. 

Edited by urbanize713
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, jmitch94 said:

Plus the Dunlavy one is ALWAYS packed and buffalo speed way isn't much behind. 

The Dunlavy store is drawing from Rice Military and parts of the Heights as well as Midtown and Montrose. When the Washington and N Shepherd stores open, it should slack off a little.

• Like 2

I am sure that HEB knows what they are doing.  They are very good at what they do and know exactly how this will effect other stores.  I am also very sure that they are capable of doing more than one project at a time.  Kirby is developing into quite a high-rise/apartment population center, with West Ave, Kirby Collection, Hanover, etc...not to mention the residential units which will likely be stacked on top the HEB.  All of these places generate quite a bit of foot traffic which can be easily captured, if you build within a block away.   This corridor will only become more dense.  So, this seems like an even better idea looking to the future.  I doubt that we will see an additional HEB at Shepherd Square...But, I am not convinced that this was ever the intention.   

• Like 5

Im curious how that NW corner is going to break down. IIRC, the Giorgetti luxury mid-rise is kicking off soon, plus there's a few businesses further west down West Alabama. With Steel St just north of West Alabama, it's going to be a tight squeeze. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hammi said:

Im curious how that NW corner is going to break down. IIRC, the Giorgetti luxury mid-rise is kicking off soon, plus there's a few businesses further west down West Alabama. With Steel St just north of West Alabama, it's going to be a tight squeeze. 

I just happened to have driven by that stretch a couple days ago and noticed that the businesses on West Alabama appear to be pretty much gone. 

Just found some interesting information on the Giorgetti website. The Giorgetti will be north of Steel Street and it shows a 4 story mixed use apartment development on the parcel bounded by Virginia, Steel, Kirby and Alabama. I think that's the answer to your break-down question.  FWIW, I think that parcel is larger than their Heights Blvd/Washington parcel.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, urbanize713 said:

I think Randall's and even the Kroger's may not be long for this world. Especially if HEB moves forward. 

**edit: Some stores, not the entire companies.

Go go to any HEB and people are crammed in there. Head to Randall's and its crickets. Kroger is better but not by much. 

I'm hoping the next Central Market is in Midtown or Downtown. Space them out a bit if the company is not going to build as many. 

And Whole Foods will be undergoing a major change with Amazon. I used to work for HEB corporate in Houston, albeit the pharmacy side, but they aren't afraid to try new concepts.  Pure speculation on my part... but I think this concept will be a HEB twist on what Whole Foods/Amazon plans to do. The store footprint in my mind will be mostly devoted to a cafe that serves beer and win and the "warehouse" section where grocery orders are put together and stored. Fresh fruit, veggies, meats, and fish along with basic staples will take up a smaller foot print as the focus will be more automated ordering. 

• Like 3

I just don't see how there is enough space for the parking etc.  And the luxury mid-rise "Giorgetti" will now be facing this.  Wonder what effect that will have on the sales.

Edited by Dakota79
typos
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dakota79 said:

I just don't see how there is enough space for the parking etc.  And the luxury mid-rise "Giorgetti" will now be facing this.  Wonder what effect that will have on the sales.

As long as the HEB is more than just a sea of asphalt with a box store, a grocery store across the street will probably be a huge draw for sales in the Giorgetti - walk to the store!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, houstontexasjack said:

I recall reading that HEB's most profitable stores are those in the Inner Loop. Anecdotally, the Montrose Market is always packed to the gills, so I could see the desire for another store as a reliever.  One thing I'm curious about is the catchment areas for these stores. It seems that, were HEB to move forward on this site, Shepherd Plaza, and MacGregor at 288, the stores would start to cannibalize one another. 

The Bunker Hill HEB is by far the most profitable store HEB has in its' portfolio*. I went to the Montrose one regularly when I lived in Midtown and now live by the bunker hill one and Bunker Hill is far busier. They even have cops on Sundays directing traffic there. It probably helps the montrose store that it has the buffalo speedway location near by. 

*Source is my friend who works for HEB's Houston offices.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, thatguysly said:

Good. The Montrose location is  packed and can't find parking if you go during peak hours.

The Montrose location is my grocery store but I only go early right after they open on Saturday or Sunday before my bicycle ride. It's too packed in the afternoon and parking is a problem.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thatguysly said:

Good. The Montrose location is  packed and can't find parking if you go during peak hours.

I stay away on Sundays after 9:00a.m.

I made that mistake once to often and learned.

You feel lucky if you can find a parking place. Get to the front of the store only to find there are no carts. Have to walk back  to the shopping cart corrals to lasso a cart hoping that the back wheels don't lock up halfway back. As you walk in you realize the lines are already engorged with groceries and you aint getting out fast or easy. You patiently wait while the lady with the motorized shopping cart tries a 360 in the chips and soda aisle,  maneuver through the overcrowded aisles searching for one of the things you really need only to find that the space where it normally rests is empty. As you pass the beans and rice section you suddenly feel the emergency brakes go on as an errant pinto lodges under your front wheel and almost causes whiplash. Once  finding almost everything on your list and making your way back to the front of the store  you find yourself standing at the end of a long line that stretches all the way back to beer and wine. Its the end of an express line and it only takes 22 minutes to make it to the front. Add some ice to your bill and you get to the ice bin to pick up your ice only to find a bunch of water soaked empty bags piled in an unsightly mass of old frosted ice, water and dirty bags.

Never on a Sunday

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

• 3 months later...