Buffalo Bayou Master Plan

houstonfella

I disagree. It's better than the twisty design they previously had.

It's going to be quite pleasant, when its done, jogging through the tree tops.

Agreed. The design is that of a park-like bridge like the number of bridges on the lower trails around it. The subtle ramps and curves are complement to the bayou. It's peaceful.

There was a fight to keep Buffalo Bayou natural. This bridge pays homage to those who fought to preserve it in its natural state.

Edited by Porchman

While I like the rusted steel, we all know they're gonna paint it.

Anyone know what color it will be painted or care to make a guess ?

While i agree with both of you that the design is a natural fit with the bayou, I wouldn't mind seeing a vibrant color chosen.

It would be an unexpected surprise in our city of neutral colors. I'm rooting for Canary Yellow.

While I like the rusted steel, we all know they're gonna paint it.

Anyone know what color it will be painted or care to make a guess ?

While i agree with both of you that the design is a natural fit with the bayou, I wouldn't mind seeing a vibrant color chosen.

It would be an unexpected surprise in our city of neutral colors. I'm rooting for Canary Yellow.

Orange would be my vote.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i saw they have put in some strange statues over on the Allen Parkway side--they looked pretty interesting at night. i would say that overall i do not like the way the interial railing looks. until you get very close to it, it appears as if they just put giant pieces of sheet metal all along the side of it. that said, chicken wire would have looked like garbage too, so maybe this is the bets they could do.

i saw the statues this weekend too. They're not bad for public art.

The sidewalk and access improvements are really nice - You can now get from Spotts Park and the N bound side of Studemont to the Buffalo Bayou Trail. There is also a new ramp going from Sawyer St around the southern edge of Glenwood cemetary to the trail.

There's still lots of work to go though. I look forward to the day the whole trail system there is hardtop - at least asphalt. - The stretch under Memorial is still terrible - Hopefully that will eventually get paved, lighted and landscaped.

i saw they have put in some strange statues over on the Allen Parkway side--they looked pretty interesting at night. i would say that overall i do not like the way the interial railing looks. until you get very close to it, it appears as if they just put giant pieces of sheet metal all along the side of it. that said, chicken wire would have looked like garbage too, so maybe this is the bets they could do.

I'm all for the new statues....the few random pieces of outdoor art are part of what I like about this park.

There's still lots of work to go though. I look forward to the day the whole trail system there is hardtop - at least asphalt. - The stretch under Memorial is still terrible - Hopefully that will eventually get paved, lighted and landscaped.

3,000 feet of new trail this summer and more work starting in fall.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7425998.html

• Like 2

This is an awesome article. Makes me really excited for the future of Houston. I hope it all works out exactly as it is layed out. :D

I agree. Awesome. I had no idea the funding was in place to realize that much in the near future.

3 more bridges plus rebuilding the entire trail system plus bringing the Sabine area blue/white lights along the entire stretch to Shepherd... Boom Boom Pow !!!!!

Concerning the sculptures:

From the artist's website - http://www.jaumeplensa.com/

This is another installation, but our half dozen statues are similar to this.

mj7s4w.jpg

Houston parks really ought to have Misting Stations. Hit the button and get 30 seconds of mist, especially for those really hot humid days. Just a thought lol

Those would actually make it more humid. Misting Stations work best in hot arid cities like Vegas or Phoenix which is lacking moisture. They should add col air station to simulate a cool breeze on a hot humid day.

Edited by shasta

Houston parks really ought to have Misting Stations. Hit the button and get 30 seconds of mist, especially for those really hot humid days. Just a thought lol

Those would actually make it more humid. Misting Stations work best in hot arid cities like Vegas or Phoenix which is lacking moisture. They should add col air station to simulate a cool breeze on a hot humid day.

I'm not entirely sure, but in the way FD is proposing it would make a great deal of sense for those that are working out or simply waiting for a cool spot for a rest/cool down.

maybe they could add them at the train stations too

In that case, I don't think it would work very well, there would be some people that would be misted that don't want to be. There is a system that is used in a number of bus stops that bring the temperature down, but I can't think off hand how its done and haven't found any info on google for any specifics.

i do like the part about the bikers getting a seperate lane. i run there every other day and can't stand them--part of the reason why I'm not wild about the additional concrete paths they are putting in (before you jump on me--i recognize that they have the right to be there too). i hope that the construction and rerouting of the bayou doesn't affect all the rabbits that live along the bayou--seeing them is one of the best parts about running down there in the early morning.

incidentally, the picture in the chronicle shows the sheet metal affect i was talking about well.

I was noting that as well, I was hoping that was just part of the construction and will be removed. The only other reason why I think it would be there is to keep small children, dogs, and idiots from falling off to the side.

If that was the case, a more appealing solution could have been done.