Buffalo Bayou Master Plan

houstonfella

Not sure if I'm allowed to post renderings from OffCite unsure.gif so I'll just post the link: http://offcite.org/2...wn-as-tolerance

If I see someone else post the renderings from there, I'll know for future reference. dry.gif

I honestly dont get why the rendering is of such bad quality. I cant tell what it is made of or whats going to be on it. I can't tell if it's going to look awesome or crappy. ERRRRGGH!

i went out and took some pictures yesterday, i'll post when i get a chance. doesn't really show much, just some elevation markers and marked off areas. its kinda hard to tell where the bridge will land on the south side.

off topic of the bridge, but i saw a construction trailer in the field on the SE corner of Allen and Montrose next to the Bellaire. Any idea what's going up there? Did a quick search but couldn't find anything here.

• Like 1

i went out and took some pictures yesterday, i'll post when i get a chance. doesn't really show much, just some elevation markers and marked off areas. its kinda hard to tell where the bridge will land on the south side.

off topic of the bridge, but i saw a construction trailer in the field on the SE corner of Allen and Montrose next to the Bellaire. Any idea what's going up there? Did a quick search but couldn't find anything here.

Glad to hear it!

I saw the trailer and such down there as well, but I think that's just a staging area for the construction.

Glad to hear it!

I saw the trailer and such down there as well, but I think that's just a staging area for the construction.

I didn't think that trailer had anything to do with the bridge, is that plot owned by the city?

It may be though, I was just hoping for something new.

Here are some shots from Monday. Kinda hard to figure out exactly what the plans are right now. Also there's a big hole dug up as today, so these are already out of date.

From Allen Parkway side looking north:

IMG_3234.JPG

Stepping back a bit from the top of the hill:

IMG_3235.JPG

From the Memorial side looking south:

IMG_3237.JPG

Looking north across Memorial:

IMG_3239.JPG

From Memorial looking southwest at the Montrose/Studemont bridge:

IMG_3240.JPG

the construction trailer is on the SW corner of Montrose and Allen is for MDC (Millis Development and Construction). They have signs up on the other side of the bayou as well, and on the north side of Memorial, as well as farther east away from the bridge site. looks like there's other work planned as well to clean stuff up around there.

so it is a staging site for the bridge.

• 5 weeks later...

Here are some pics from last week, so about a month after breaking ground. They're making progress.

All of these are from the Allen Pkwy side looking north, the first one from the top of the hill the rest from down the hill near the trail:

IMG_3366.JPG

IMG_3367.JPG

IMG_3368.JPG

IMG_3369.JPG

Though I didn't have a camera on me, I did see some of the access improvements going on while biking.

At the point in the trail where it travels under Memorial for about 100 yards.. Right here... On the Western end, they have been building a rather nice curved stone wall under Memorial. It appears they will be adding a trail running along the North side of Memorial from this point to Montrose in order to connect connect the new bridge with Montrose and the existing trail system.

• 2 months later...

Well the title say it all folks! I'm curious as to what happened to the Buffalo Bayou Master Plan efforts. The last major thing was done in 2006 when they landscaped the Buffalo Bayou Walk and lit the underpass blue. I thought, according to these plans that they were going to try to start widening it in sections of downtown and trying to clean it a little.

Did these plans just go out the window? Please help me because I have to admit, I'm a little jealous of the aggressive progress being made in the Trinity River Bridges in Dallas. Sorry, not trying to bring Dallas in to this but just saying. :blush:

http://www.buffalobayou.org/

Well the title say it all folks! I'm curious as to what happened to the Buffalo Bayou Master Plan efforts. The last major thing was done in 2006 when they landscaped the Buffalo Bayou Walk and lit the underpass blue. I thought, according to these plans that they were going to try to start widening it in sections of downtown and trying to clean it a little.

Did these plans just go out the window? Please help me because I have to admit, I'm a little jealous of the aggressive progress being made in the Trinity River Bridges in Dallas. Sorry, not trying to bring Dallas in to this but just saying. :blush:

Good question. I was really excited about the plans for the International Coffee Building, but I haven't heard a word on that either.

I get their newsletter and usually it just talks about their tree planting events.

Also, this was on their website front page:

http://www.buffalobayou.org/pdf/ShepherdSabineFlierJune2010.pdf

Updates also will be provided on projects currently underway and planned for the near future, including:

~ Construction of a new pedestrian bridge and trails.

~ Harris County Flood Control District “pilot project” that seeks to restore a small stretch of the bayou channel.

~ City of Houston and TxDot’s rebuilding of the bike trails that have fallen into disrepair.

Edited by lockmat

Did these plans just go out the window?

Nope, but their funding did. Non-profits like these are struggling all over the country as municipalities, states, the private sector, and philanthropists are all reigning in spending to cope with the economy.

I don't have stats to back it up, but I believe the bayou is probably as clean as it's been in decades. Buffalo's not clean enough to swim in by EPA standards, but it's much better today than in years past when it was no more than an open sewer for Houston. I don't know if there are any streams in SE Texas that meet EPA standards for swimming...maybe someone with more background than myself can chime in.

I don't have stats to back it up, but I believe the bayou is probably as clean as it's been in decades. Buffalo's not clean enough to swim in by EPA standards, but it's much better today than in years past when it was no more than an open sewer for Houston. I don't know if there are any streams in SE Texas that meet EPA standards for swimming...maybe someone with more background than myself can chime in.

As a teen, I used to swim in the San Jacinto River on occasion. Ain't nothing wrong with me, plus the flipper I grew about ten years ago helps me swim faster.

• Like 1

I doubt any of us know more than you about the natural drainage pathways of Houston. I know a little about NPDES and water discharge monitoring, what are the contaminants specified in the swim/no-swim rule? I would think at the least it's coliform, total hydrocarbons, and probably a few toxics.

EDIT: I have no intention of swimming in Buffalo Bayou, but if I ever had to jump in to save someone (or retrieve a frisbee while drunkily discing it up) I want to know what I'm getting into.

Edited by 20thStDad

The same as many of those sort of visionary plans, it was more in the strain of "wouldn't this be nice?" rather than legally binding, so there was no reason to think it would ever be fully implemented. Some features were nice, like the prison island north of downtown. Others less so, like "Symphony Island" further downstream.

There were two public input meeting put on by the Buffalo Bayou Partnership this past week for their plans to rehab the stretch from Sabine to Shepherd. One was on Monday and the other on Tuesday. I made it to the Tuesday meeting which was at the United Way building on Waugh. There were a lot of suggestions made and topics covered; flood control, an official dog park, bigger parking areas (bleh), a possible Cafe/restaurant east of the Jewish Cemetery (Bigger bleh), water quality issues, canoe/kayak put ins, and restoring the bayou channel to a more natural condition after the bulldozing and straightening the Army Corp did back in the 50's(?).

I was impressed by the man (whose name I forgot) that ran the meeting. He did a very good job taking questions and suggestions and then either answering the question or handing the question off to Anne Olson from the Bayou group, or Kevin Shanley from the urban planning and design firm SWA Group who is consulting on the project. We'll have to see what the general plan looks like, I think they may have said something would be out in the fall.

More info:

http://www.buffaloba...herdsabine.html<br>

http://www.swagroup.com/index.html

None of this is related to the trail construction/rehab that the city is going to start in the next year, which I have mixed feeling about. The city plans were at the meeting, and it looks like the new trail will be very nice, and include a pedestrian bridge at Shepherd courtesy of TXDot. My gripe is that a lot of the steeper hills and tighter curves are being are being brought into "code", which I translate to "boring".

BB

Edited by Bungled Bungalow

I'm glad that plans are still being talked about west of downtown, but I'm more interested in seeing more aggressive plans about developments and cleaning the Bayou downtown. Like Scarface said, the Bayou is filthy and is more of an eyesore than an assett in the areas of downtown. They need to get a plan to clean up all the trash and actually clean the water of its muddy appearance. There's so much potential with this Bayou and its not being realized.

Well, some related bad news

Three boats from the Buffalo Bayou Partnership, including a fire-destroyed tour pontoon, were recovered early this morning after vandals untied them from their dock and sent them floating down the bayou Tuesday night.

Authorities are investigating whether the release of the boats is linked with a 2 a.m. Tuesday fire at the Drennan field office where the boats are docked.

The fire destroyed the pontoon boat, valued at $50,000, and damaged the bio-vac boat, which helps clean the bayou, said Trudi Smith, director of public relations and events for the partnership.